plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  6:53:45 PM  Show Profile
I have heard of people doing the following for iron water stains in bathtubs so maybe it would work in a toilet? You would have to get as much water out of the toilet as possible. Pour coarse salt into the bowl of the toilet while it is wet so the salt clings to the toilet bowl surface. Then take lemon juice and squeeze it on the salt carefully not to let the salt run off. Let it sit overnight. The next day start scubbing it off! I hope this works for you! If not- the only alternative that I can think of is something like CLR cleaner, but it is pretty powerful stuff and I cannot imagine what might be in it!
Good luck

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried a pumice stone? It's like fingernails down a blackboard, but it does work. A smart friend recently told me she just uses sandpaper. I haven't tried that, but it sounds less -- well -- fingernailsy.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:27:15 PM  Show Profile
We have such hard iron well water, I am always scratching away with a pumice bar. So far it's the only thing that half way works. I refuse to use any of those toxic things in my septic system, so I live with discolored porcelain.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  8:01:46 PM  Show Profile
I'll give these a try & let ya'll know how they work out...Rural Florida has a super high iron content~ we even end up with orange "white" clothes!

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

" Stand still & let God move." ~The Isaacs
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  05:46:56 AM  Show Profile
I read somewhere once to pour a can of Coke in the toilet bowl let it sit over night and then clean with a brush.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  8:19:12 PM  Show Profile
I have iron stains too in my toilets, tubs and sinks. Nothing has worked so far and we have our own well and septic, so I can't use anything that will kill the bacteria in the septic.

A friend of mine at work suggested I buy rust colored toilets & sinks instead of going crazy trying to scrub away the stains. Maybe he's right! Anyone know who carries rust colored bathroom fixtures?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  8:22:31 PM  Show Profile
I have this problem with my toilets as well. I've tried scrubbing bubbles, Comet and bleach.. Nothing has really worked.. It was noticeably whiter after the scrubbing bubbles incident, but I'm going to try the salt and pumice stone.
I grew up with well water and we just had a calcium problem, My mom uses CLR for it and it works fine. But then my dad got a reverse osmosis filter and that seemed to help a lot. But in my old farm house it's Iron, When we moved in, the bathroom was just remodeled and there was no iron discoloration in the toilets yet.. But, when I started using the water in the house, you could smell the Iron smell in the water, I don't smell the iron anymore and the water tastes real good, it just turns my toilets rusty colored. I need to get a water test kit and see what my well has going on in it.

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic iron water stains in toilet Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page