Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 making my laundry smell good...help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic making my laundry smell good...help! Next Topic  

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:09:53 AM  Show Profile
I've been using a softner while washing my clothes for several months. I changed over from using dryer sheets when it seemed that the sheets weren't leaving a nice smell (not a bad smell, just no nice one). I like my clothes to "smell good." Unfortunately, I think the softner (which I understan leaves a "film" on the clothes)is making my skin itchy (especially and mostly my girl parts). I can't stand it. I've narrowed it down to the wash at this point, because by doc said he couldn't find anything physically wrong (no infections, etc). So, I'm not going to use the softner for a few loads and see what happens. I am going to use vinegar as a softner, but what can I use to make them smell good? I thought I'd read somewhere before about something like a homemade dryer sheet, scented with essential oils would do the same thing (make them smell good). Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks-
Kim in NC

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Kim. Years ago, a dermatologist suggested I quit using fabric softeners on my towels, because it wasn't doing my already acne-prone skin any good. I did as he suggested and he was so right! I sure wish I'd known sooner. Who knows? I might not have such awful acne scars on my face today. So anyway, I applaud your decision to try doing without. I'll bet the softener has been the culprit. I use white vinegar instead and it does a nice job. Since you just fill up the liquid water softener in your washing machine when starting the cycle, I don't see why you couldn't add a drop or two of an essential oil for fragrance. Rosemary is my favorite (!), but you could use rose or maybe lavender...there are many choices. And it has the advantage of being natural. You could also put the drops of essential oil on a damp washcloth that you keep handy for this purpose, and toss it in as you used to do with the dryer sheets. That would probably make the scent more intense.

The itchy skin and other symptoms you're experiencing could also be aggravated by using a too-harsh detergent. You might want to try the homemade laundry soap a of us have been discussing. I think it's roughly equal parts borax and washing soda with a smaller amount of mild soap flakes. You can use a grated homemade soap (many of our farmgirl sisters make soaps and post links right in this forum to where you can buy them), Kirk's Castile, or just store-bought Ivory Flakes (do they still make that?) Some girls use Fels Naptha, but I think that's way too harsh.

Be careful what you use in your baths and showers, too. You might be sensitive to one or more of the ingredients. A lot of perfumy bath & shower gels etc. are basically just expensively packaged dish detergent with chemical fake fragrances added -- ouch! I keep THAT off my girl parts, thank you! Homemade natural soaps (especially with skin-soothing herbs like calendula added) are really nice, and often have a lovely fragrance.

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 25 2007 2:26:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  6:08:08 PM  Show Profile
A little slosh of linen water ( I LOVE lavender) is all I ever use in my rinse water..I never use fabric softener much...keeps towels from being as absorbent and I am not crazy about the smell either. I have done the essential oil on a damp dishcloth too..and it works, if you like to do the smell in the dryer, I hang out clothes alot and the smell of sunshine is the best smell of all. Our own Kay at www.therusticcottage.com has wonderful linen water.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  6:50:14 PM  Show Profile
put vinegar in the rinse water to soften and as Aunt Jenny said, lavender EO in the dryer. Experiment with different detergents~my hubby can only tolerate arm and hammer. If you go with washing with soap, be sure to use vinegar in the rinse so it doesn't ruin your machine with residue. I would definately wash my undies in "real" soap and vinegar rinse right away though.

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://groups.msn.com/spiritspaceCrafting Group
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  7:06:05 PM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

A little slosh of linen water ( I LOVE lavender) is all I ever use in my rinse water..I never use fabric softener much...keeps towels from being as absorbent and I am not crazy about the smell either. I have done the essential oil on a damp dishcloth too..and it works, if you like to do the smell in the dryer, I hang out clothes alot and the smell of sunshine is the best smell of all. Our own Kay at www.therusticcottage.com has wonderful linen water.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Jenny,

Is that site right for Kay? I don't see Linen Water......just beautiful furniture.

Hugs

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  8:21:53 PM  Show Profile
I use Vinegar with a little lavender as a fabric softener. works great

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2007 :  10:25:52 PM  Show Profile
ooops!! it is actually www.therusticcottage.etsy.com sorry!! That furniture WAS cool though, wasn't it?? You will love Kay's stuff..I am sure I am her best customer for lavender linen spray! I use it for ironing, sheet freshening, and in laundry..just the best stuff!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  08:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so, in a front loader, I'd put how much vinegar? I usually do pretty large loads (double?), and I use a cap full of concentrate method softener, but it also makes me scratchy. I have some mandarin essential oil, geranium and also lavender. I could go to town--with some direction, please?

J

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  11:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would just fill up your "Softner" slot with vinegar. I usually use the same amount of vinegar as I would Downy.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile
I've been using vinegar in my wash for the last couple of weeks; it does make the clothes nice and soft! It also seems to make the whites, whiter!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  1:03:17 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if I could mix the essential oils in with the vinegar in a little bottle to keep on hand, or is that ill advised?

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2007 :  1:58:35 PM  Show Profile
I have been mixing a few drops of lavendar e oil with vinegar in a bottle and using it as fabric softener in the washing machine. seems to work fine. I have done this for about 6 months.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  10:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi, all. I know I posted about this somewhere but I can't remember where.

I use either Mrs. Meyers lavender laundry soap or the dry recipe in an older MJF. I also pour about 1/2 cup white vinegar (from Costco) into the rinse dispenser. My clothes do not smell fresh. It's kind of a cross between the smell on your hands when you wear rubber gloves and old oil. Should I add more vinegar? Maybe use a different kind? Does it have to be white vinegar? Does distilled make a difference? If so, where do I get non-distilled vinegar? The only way to get my laundry smelling nice is to use a fabric softener. But now that I think about it, that's just covering up the smell, don't you think?

I was at my friend's house last night. She has started using white vinegar on my reccomendation and her clothes smell clean.

What am I doing wrong?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  1:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Could the unpleasant smell be coming from your washer? I remember reading about this problem on another thread. It's especially a problem with front loaders. I know there's a washing machine cleaner made by Tide. Someone on the other thread said it worked for her.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:17:04 PM  Show Profile
I know that a lot of detergents can be harsh, and I found that my homemade doesn't really leave any smell. I like smell..nice clean fresh smell. I am super sensitive to any type of perfume or dyes, so I use Purex Original. It leaves the clothes smelling fresh, but it doesn't have the harshest of chemicals.
I had a go around with my uticaria acting up and the Dermatologist told me to use Purex or the Baby All. Both of them are clear from those pesky deyes
Hope you find something that works quick. Skin troubles are never fun and highly disruptive in life.
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile
SusanScarlet--my friend also suggested that, espcially with the oily, rubbery smell. It is a top load and pretty old, not yet 20 years but over 10! I really, really, REALLY want a burgundy (underlined) Maytag front loader, matching dryer and pedestals. Oh, well, one can always dream. Besides, it wouldn't match anything except my microwave. Would you believe I found a burgundy one at BiMart? Yay, me!

Anyway, back to the original discussion. Maybe I should try to find the washing machine cleaner you mentioned. I just want my clothes to smell nice, not old and icky.

CR--is the Purex Original organic? I only ask because a lot of people on here prefer to use all organic cleaners and I was trying, in my small way, to be more organic. If I go back to the regular stuff, I feel like I am letting you all down in your efforts. Some of you are quite awesome in how you are so organic and green. Congratulations!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  3:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Traildancer - I saw that washer cleaner at Walmart just today. Also, try cleaning every single part of the washer you can reach yourself - all around the edges of the lid and the tub, etc. There might be "yuk" up in there. And try the washer cleaner - you just never know if it'll work. A burgundy Maytag front loader? Wow - I've never even seen one of those - sounds mighty fancy to this west Texas girl. Have a great day and let us know what finally works re: your washer.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  3:11:39 PM  Show Profile
I was making my own soap with borax and rinsing with vinegar, but I felt like it was too harsh on my clothes. I also wanted my sheets to be rinsed in fabric softner, so now I use Melaleuca EcoSense.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  8:27:53 PM  Show Profile
We used to have a front loader & it smelled awful after just a few months..come to find out the rubber seal was moldy, & we never could get it out! It actually became part of the rubber itself...tried bleach, vinegar, Mrs. meyers, Orange oil based cleaners...nothing helped. We sold it when we moved! During that time our clothes just never ever smelled clean, even with homemade detergent, vinegar only softner, etc. Drying on the line seemed to be the only thing that helped. We now use a top loader,homemade detergent, vinegar rinse, dryer balls if we use the dryer, & drying on the line as much as possible. I will try the essential oil in the rinse, too, though...good tip!

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

" Stand still & let God move." ~The Isaacs
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  05:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
If you can't find the washing machine cleaner, use some "Tang" breakfast mix. I run it through my dishwasher on a regular basis and it works great. (Just remember to run a few loads of colored clothes before you do a load of whites!

Best of luck
Debi
Herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  2:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Debi~ I am going to try the "tang" breakfast mix. Sounds like a great idea!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  8:03:25 PM  Show Profile
There are two kinds of white vinegar. One is industrial, acetic acid made from from petroleum distillates. It shouldn't be used on clothing that touches our skin. Since this is cheaper, I suspect that's what COSTCO and other "big-box" retailers might be selling. Look for "Not Made from Petroleum" or some other such statement on the bottle.
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  08:54:49 AM  Show Profile
I've put a little essential oil on a (clean) old rag and tossed it into the dryer along with the clothes to dry. www.vitacost.com has a really good price on Seventh Generation dryer sheets that may work better.

Sister #1213

Handmade and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. ~ Elizabeth Zimmermann
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  04:22:01 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't really tell if this had been covered, but make sure you've cleaned out your dryer vent as well, with a dryer brush, all the way down!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic making my laundry smell good...help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page