Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathy
Tendoy ID
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  2:42:52 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirl Sisters,

I recently have embarked on blogging and have a blog www.canvascabinliving.com and would love feedback from anyone else who has been blogging a while.

Ive just recently decided to treat it more like journaling and entering something every day. Instead of trying to think up topics per say im going to post a picture and entry every day (hopefully). The picture is to help me to get on and write something every day. Currently I have been pretty hit or miss with the blog. I believe I might have been over thinking it trying to set it up like a book read.

My format is pretty basic and didnt know if there are any other sites besides the one I am using that might allow more creative formats.

Thanks everyone for your input I love that I have some place to go with kindred spirits and such supportive people.

Live Simply, Simply Live

Canvas Cabin Living

Sandy Fields
True Blue Farmgirl

165 Posts

Sandy
Portales NM
165 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  3:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, it's a great idea to do the photo every day, and draw inspiration from that. I would give this advice... Do the photo every day if it makes you happy. Don't worry if you miss here and there. Blogging should bring you great joy!

Something I enjoy about my blog is having categories. I love writing, and if I'm in the mood, but just not sure what I want to write about, it's nice to have my own categories to choose from... pointing me in one direction or another. As I write the article, I've chosen "categories" as one of my "widgets" on the "dashboard", and I click which category the article belongs to. (Ha! All these terms I wasn't familiar with before I started my blog!)

I'd love for you to have a look at my site. Borrow any ideas you'd like. =)
Sandy

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com
Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  4:40:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy!
I think it's a great idea to use a photo to get your writing juices going...Blog readers LOVE LOVE LOVE photos alongside your words.
I visited your blog just now and I think writing from your perspective ( where you are living right now) is a wonderful idea.. Share more of what it looks like... inside and out!I like the photos you show from December, cooking on the wood stove and the big stack of wood.
Mostly, just have fun... blogging is for fun and making new kindred spirit blog friends!
o.k. that's my 2 cents!
Happy Blogging...

farmgirl sister #1199

Deb~
www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  05:31:08 AM  Show Profile
kathy i dont get to spend much time enjoying anyones blogs lately due to school and work-however yours intrigues me for a few resasons- -one is that i am interested in the life you are living--and you write very much like i talk so it's great to feel like we are conversing!

this morning i am seein no new pics tho--just the previously posted ones down by teh Christmas tree etc.....

as the others have said- blog what makes you happy-and WHEN it makes you happy---do not fret about everyday if you cant get there=sometimes life gets in the way!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

canvascabinliving
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathy
Tendoy ID
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  10:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sandy, I did go to your blog and will definately follow. Also thanks for the support and ideas I really appreciate it.
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fields

Kathy, it's a great idea to do the photo every day, and draw inspiration from that. I would give this advice... Do the photo every day if it makes you happy. Don't worry if you miss here and there. Blogging should bring you great joy!

Something I enjoy about my blog is having categories. I love writing, and if I'm in the mood, but just not sure what I want to write about, it's nice to have my own categories to choose from... pointing me in one direction or another. As I write the article, I've chosen "categories" as one of my "widgets" on the "dashboard", and I click which category the article belongs to. (Ha! All these terms I wasn't familiar with before I started my blog!)

I'd love for you to have a look at my site. Borrow any ideas you'd like. =)
Sandy

Love writing about "My Field Days"
www.field-days.com

Live Simply, Simply Live

Canvas Cabin Living
Go to Top of Page

canvascabinliving
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathy
Tendoy ID
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:18:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much everyone for your input it is so so appreciated. I love the feedback its great. This morning I did go on and post a picture and visited for a little while. Its nice to hear that you like the way ive written it I believe for me the journaling style is definately going to be best. Im excited to start this new journey and share it with you all.

Do have a question though if a person starts with one online blog place can they transfer to another? Or can a person say take a background and copy the code and take it to where they are at already? This is most definately a learning curve for sure THANKS

Live Simply, Simply Live

Canvas Cabin Living
Go to Top of Page

dandelionhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

205 Posts

Debbie
Plymouth Mass
USA
205 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:34:09 AM  Show Profile
You're welcome!
I like how you added the photo at the beginning of your post! Do you have the ability to make it larger? Also, to answer your question about moving from one blog to another. If you are using blogger you should be able to use the same back ground in a different blog. You can copy a code from any background that has one,then past it into into an HTML box which is located under the Gadgets tab in blogger.
Good luck ....
I'm still learning too!
Have fun!
Deb

farmgirl sister #1199

Deb~
www.deborahjeansdandelionhouse.com

" home is where we all craft the life of our dreams."
Go to Top of Page

ladedacreations
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Sandy
Indian Valley Idaho
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  09:52:03 AM  Show Profile
As a country girl who lives way out in the sticks and in need of a little extra income, I was curious if any of your blogs create any income? I love writing but there are only so many hours in the day and I need to justify some of my time to making a living. I would love to do it with a blog. Any suggestions? I also have an idea for a facebook app. Any one have any advice on how to protect the idea and get it going?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladedacreations Filled to the brim with my handmade paper, vintage treasures & clothing, photography, naturally grown seeds and unique jewelry and hair pieces created from cast off vintage pieces and old silverware. Be sure to check out my comical Woo Hoo Sister pins for all of you mid lifers!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/againstthegrain13 is my other shop dedicated to my extreme rustic switch plate covers. If you are a lover of natural wood, you are sure to enjoy these!

Everything I create is done so with solar power using mainly salvaged, recycled and up cycled items.

“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also”. Mathew 6:21
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  11:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Kathy~
I just wanted to let you know that you have given me the nudge I needed to start blogging. Your site was beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

canvascabinliving
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Kathy
Tendoy ID
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  12:47:22 PM  Show Profile
That is great im glad to hear that makes me feel good about it.

quote:
Originally posted by embchicken

Kathy~
I just wanted to let you know that you have given me the nudge I needed to start blogging. Your site was beautiful. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

Live Simply, Simply Live

Canvas Cabin Living
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  03:26:26 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

While I haven't made a penny off my writing, I have been offered to be sponsored to go off the blogger platform and onto my own website. That was pretty cool, and we're still trying to work out the details of it all.

Also, I have had a few pictures used on other sites, as well as I've gotten photoshoots from people seeing my work on my blog. :)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ladedacreations
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Sandy
Indian Valley Idaho
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  09:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Megan, Well good for you! Your photos are awesome. I too am a photographer. I have been looking at submitting to shutterstock and istock and maybe even trying to sell a few prints on etsy. Too many irons in the fire!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladedacreations Filled to the brim with my handmade paper, vintage treasures & clothing, photography, naturally grown seeds and unique jewelry and hair pieces created from cast off vintage pieces and old silverware. Be sure to check out my comical Woo Hoo Sister pins for all of you mid lifers!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/againstthegrain13 is my other shop dedicated to my extreme rustic switch plate covers. If you are a lover of natural wood, you are sure to enjoy these!

Everything I create is done so with solar power using mainly salvaged, recycled and up cycled items.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  07:22:13 AM  Show Profile
Sandy, I completely know what you're talking about! Being involved with so many different endeavors makes it hard to focus on just a couple, or get time for them all, either!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

ladedacreations
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Sandy
Indian Valley Idaho
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  08:12:07 AM  Show Profile
We had a guy stop at our place one day and as he stood on the edge of the hill overlooking enjoying the view and deep in thought, he turned to us and very seriously asked..."what do you do up here to keep from being bored?" That is our famous quote now. When we come in from a long day of chores or projects or things break down and take us 10 times longer than normal, my husband and I look at each other and say..."what do we do all day to keep from being bored?" It is always good for a laugh! But I wouldn't trade the lifestyle for anything!

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl2
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Trisha
Longview Washington
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  02:41:54 AM  Show Profile
I need to start blogging. Thank you for the inspiration ~ Trisha ~ farmgirl sister # 2982
Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  7:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Your blog looks nice. I agree.I like to see photos,too . But, words can be just as effective.Like reading a book and drawing from your own imagination.
I have 2 blogs: one for recipes(definitely worth a peek if you like cooking) and my main blog~ an eclectic mix of things including more recipes.I have a feature that I call"Websearch Wednesday" that I hope my readers enjoy. I am not terribly excited about blogging but it gives me a place to take my thoughts most days.It is family friendly,too. Have fun !

~Tina

My main blog~ http://frontierhome.blogspot.com

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile
I just started blogging again. Life got in the way for a few months and I really missed it. For me, a photo is worth a million words so almost every Wednesday I do a Wordless Wednesday post. Of course, I also post other photos when every I feel like it.

For me, I do a little of types of blogging. Sometimes its more of a journal and the other times a topic pops into my head and I write about it. I might not post the topic for a few weeks, but it's there waiting to be published when I don't have anything else to write about.

I'm going to go check out your blog right now!

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  3:46:39 PM  Show Profile
I recently started blogging again too. I feel like I am writing to nobody...any suggestions on getting my blog out there? I have posted it on facebook today.

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  5:32:10 PM  Show Profile
Email it to all your friends and family, have it networked to your facebook so it automatically goes to your facebook when ever you post, I use a yahoogroup, but there's a new widget on blogger to make it automatically email any one who subscribes when ever you make a new post, and then go to blogfrog and join them too, go and visit all the blogs on blog frog communitees, usually if you leave a message about their blogs they come and visit yours later. I like the homestead revival community there the best right now. There's lots of MJF farm girls on that community right now too!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 27 2011 5:33:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  6:24:29 PM  Show Profile
Heather, that was some great info! Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  6:32:03 PM  Show Profile
welcome, that's how I get most my readers. if there's any interesting blog groups you can join them too, and they link you up, like I joined the simple woman's day journal group, but there is a lot of recipe exchange ones and such and they put your link on the main page and lot of people will visit you that way too. They are usually once a week postings and the group tells you the kind of post they would like on that day, for example my simple woman's day journal group is supposed to be on Tuesdays and it has several questions that it wants you to answer each week (the same questions each week, but as the weeks go by you will have different answers) but some women choose to do it on other days. I think some of the other blog groups may be a bit more strict on the day of the week thing if their group is supposed to post on a certain day.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 27 2011 6:34:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  08:11:44 AM  Show Profile
The two main ways I get my blog noticed is Twitter and commenting on other people's blogs. Occasionally I post it on facebook. There are tons of blogging networks around, too. One is called SITS.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

The Magpie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Melanie
San Dimas California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  8:40:24 PM  Show Profile
I've had a blog for a couple of years now and though I think sometimes that I will blog every day, that just doesn't happen. As of now, it has been a few weeks. It seems to be sporadic for me. The only time I blogged every day was when I did a solo motorcycle trip around the country. What does help me to blog a bit more is having a camera that is small and easy to carry around and one of the small netbooks that will even fit in my motorcycle tank bag.
Here is my blog:

http://talesofamagpie.typepad.com

It is fun though and I like to think of it like a journal and a way for the people that visit my website or have taken classes from me to get to know me a bit.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 09 2011 :  9:40:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh I don't do it every day for sure! Sometimes I do but never regularly. I think it's best to shoot for at least once a week. If you join a blog group, that assigns a day of the week to blog, I find it keeps me more on my toes to try to at least blog that day. Especially one that has a agenda to blog about weekly, like the Simple Woman's day book, I don't have to think about what interesting thing happened to me that day, just answer the questions each week! lol haha Then I fill in other days here and there when I can with the interesting daily stuff in my life.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  04:38:51 AM  Show Profile
One thing that I've found drives traffic away from your site is music! When people browsing get to a site that has music playing automatically, many times it startles them and they click away. Just a tip!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  10:40:45 AM  Show Profile
I haven't found that with my site, however, I use a player that can be shut off. I don't like midi's that are on and on and you can't pause, or stop though. I have found I like certain sites with music, it depends on the site and how it is done. I put on a player on mine that I actually got the idea from Sugar Pie Farmhouse (which has a TON of traffic) but I liked that you could pause hers, and hers also had site appropriate music, so I liked it and put the same kind of player on mine.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Blogging Ideas Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page