Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Telemarketers calling Again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Telemarketers calling Again Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  4:18:47 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I have nothing against someone trying to make a living, but I do not like to be called on the phone and asked to buy something I don't need. Or ask to contribute to a charity. I will goive to charities but not over the phone, thank you.

So anyway, a few years ago I had called a number to have my name taken off the list and the calls stopped. But now they are starting again. Does anyone have that number? Or know where to look it up? I would love to have it to call again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  5:07:46 PM  Show Profile
I believe you want the "National do not call registry" list.

Good luck getting rid of those pesky telemarketers!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  5:32:50 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Dawn. Just did it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  5:37:38 PM  Show Profile
I believe "charities" are exempt from the DNC list. I've tried to tell them I'm on the DNC list, but they tell me that it doesn't include charities.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:37:26 AM  Show Profile
Betty is right...now, having said that, it becomes difficult to tell what's a scam, and what is an actual charity. Sadly, we have caller ID and if I don't recognize the number, or it's an 800 or other long distance exchange, I never answer the phone. I'm sure Caller ID has been the bane of charitiable organizations existence these last years!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  08:25:09 AM  Show Profile
We are on DNC. Once in awhile a call still gets through. My fave response is "How did you reach me? I don't have a phone."--the silence on the other end is a riot.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile
My fiance kept having some tax service call repeatedly - like 6 times in 2 hours every night. He tried over a dozen times to tell them to stop calling and take him off the list and it got worse -calls would come every 15 minutes. He had his number on the Do Not Call List too. Finally he went to the website and filed a complaint - the calls stopped nearly instantly.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  09:23:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a business in my home so I always tell solicitors they have reached a business- that usually gets rid of them right away. Even if they call on my home line.

Check with your telephone company. For a few bucks a month I've added a service that greets callers with a message saying "this number does not accept telephone solicitations, if you are a solicitor please hang up and take this number off your list. If you are not a solicitor please press one to continue." I was able to program my friends and relatives numbers so they don't have to hear the message. It does seem to work as we've had alot fewer nuisance calls in the last few months.....such a relief! And so far I have gotten nothing but favorable comments from familiar callers who have had to endure the message. I think everyone has this problem nowadays.

There is also a registry you can sign up for to prevent unsolicited junk mail and credit card offers from arriving in your postal mailbox. It's called Mail Preference Service and is provided by direct marketing association.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - edlund33 on Mar 09 2011 09:29:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  09:47:27 AM  Show Profile
That list also does not prevent all those annyoing, prerecorded campaign calls.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  10:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, those recorded campaign calls! Those are the worst of all. I do not have caller ID so if they do not leave a message I will not answer. I really only have a home phone because I have this computer. I cannot make out going calls or it costs .10 a minute. People can call me though. Otherwise I would not have a home phone. I could get wireless service through Verizon and I will check into that. Then I can get rid of the home phone then no more annoying phone calls.

Judith, that is hilarious! I'll have to try that next time.

Thanks for all the good info. Marilyn, that's a good idea too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Telemarketers calling Again Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page