Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Any Brooklyn Farmgirls Out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Brooklyn Farmgirls Out there? Next Topic  

Virginia
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Virginia
Brooklyn New York
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  3:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey! Just wondering if there are any Brooklyn farmgirls out there??? I'm in Kensington Brooklyn and am seriously thinking of getting a chicken...Nuts???? What ya think???

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  9:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Virgina!
I am your fellow farmgirl sister out here on Long Island! I dont think you are crazy at all- I have 2 hens myself and get about a dozen eggs a week give or take. Its Great! Nice to see a farmgirl in my neck of the woods- doesnt seem like there are too many out this way!
Warm Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  11:12:21 AM  Show Profile
I was just visiting my sister in Manhattan last month - actually arrived the day that the airports were closed for hours and the mayor asked all city employees to stay home due to the snow storm. Wanted to make it to Brooklyn, but wasn't able due to a full schedule. Next time!

Do you have room for a chicken? We just got chickens last spring. It has been a great experience, and there is nothing quite like cooking with your own eggs!

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
(site, blog & etsy shop)
Go to Top of Page

Virginia
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Virginia
Brooklyn New York
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  1:55:33 PM  Show Profile
I actually have a backyard and am talking my husband into building a fenced in area in one part of it. Just enough room to let two chickens (I promise! Just two) walk around freely. Can't wait. Any advice? And, Ann!! Sooooo sorry you got caught in our winter weather. You would think we would know how to handle snow up here (in NYC), but we REALLY don't. It's like it surprises us every year. "Oh no! It's snowing! Now what do we do? Panic!" It's pretty pathetic. Seriously, any advice. I'm thinking about getting Rhode Island REds? What do you think, ladies???? Winter hardy. Good layers...I don't know what I'm talking about....I'm a little pathetic, too. I guess that's why I belong in New York (Brooklyn). That's all.....SEriously, any advice?
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  12:18:13 PM  Show Profile
We have a total of 3 chickens right now. We are averaging about 1 egg/day - sometimes 2. I think that as the weather improves, so will production. We will be adding to our little flock this spring. Ultimately, we'd like 7 layers. Just a little flock!

I had to laugh. My mom decided to use her flight benefits (my brother is a pilot) and she flew to NY just for 2 nights. She is having lunch with my sister who's office is at the Chelsea Market, and then staying with my aunt outside of the city. When she called me to say that she arrived safely, she said, "You know why I had to come back so soon? I never got my hot dog." (From a street vendor). It was all she said that she wanted during our last trip, and it just never happened :)!

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
(site, blog & etsy shop)
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Brooklyn Farmgirls Out there? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page