LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  08:46:53 AM  Show Profile
Hello Gals, I have a question...I have been reading about the benefits to the digestive system by eating yogurt. But, I have to be honest...I absolutly loathe the taste of it! Eating sour things (the yogurts taste sour to me) are not foreign...I love saurkraut, pickles...etc. But, I can't find a "sweeter" yogurt. I have tried Light and Fit, EnLiven, Yoplait (Whips too) and Dannon...and they taste horrible. Do you have any suggestions? I thought about adding a spoonful of sugar to the yogurt...but I feel like I am cheating the purpose if I do that....what do you like? Erica;)

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  09:51:11 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried Greek yogurt? How about freezing the whole container and eating it like a thick slushy? My mom did that when we were little. It was the ONLY way we would eat yogurt!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  10:48:46 AM  Show Profile
Make it yourself and do not let it process as long and it is not as sour. The longer it sits at 100-110 degrees the more sour it becomes. Taste it every 1/2 hour and refrigerate when you get the taste you like. I just did a post about making yogurt on my blog this week. You do not have to eat yogurt. Raw sauerkraut contains the same bacteria that enhance gut flora as do other fermented foods. But they must be raw and not processed, like in canning. The heat will kill all the beneficial bacteria.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Jane, we love sauerkraut and pork...it is a eaten alot....I am assuming that type of saurkraut is not the kind to eat? Would you eat it raw as a/in salad? I actually get an upset stomach if I overindulge in the kraut and mashed potatoes. But I love it too:)
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  6:16:45 PM  Show Profile
I have found greek yogurt and soy milk yogurt to be much sweeter than regular. Both of those options do not use artificial sweeteners. I have yet to find a regular yogurt that does not contain the fake stuff. Some greek yogurts have no sugar at all and need a spoon of sugar. My family puts 2 spoons of sugar on the greek yogurt, but I like things a lot less sweet than most people. Fruit is also a good option to help sweeten the yogurt with.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  6:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Erica, I make my own in 2 Salton yogurt makers that have 5 cups each. In each cup, I add 1 tbsp slenda or sugar, depending on who I am going to be feeding, and about 1/4 tsp vanilla. Then I pour my warm yogurt mixture into the cups and stir them. When they are finished cooking that night, I put them in the frig and in the morning they are tasty as can be and nice and sweet. You could even add more sweetner if you preferred.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:09:18 AM  Show Profile
Erica, yes cooking the kraut with the pork will kill the good bacteria. Any heating over 110 degrees will do it. You also want to make sure you are making you own kraut or buying it in a jar that reads 'raw' or the good bacteria will be cooked out. Sauerkraut is easy to make. You can eat it like a salad, or try putting it on your plate and letting the other food warm it a bit. Only eat a small amount in the beginning or it will give you a belly ache. As your body becomes accustomed to it, you will not have that problem as much.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the organic yogurts. Nancy's is a bit too tart for me, but StonyField is SO good! I love it! Also there is an Australian yogurt. I am not remembering the name. It is very good too! I would try going for some non-mainstream yogurts as sometimes the commercially known ones have fillers in them that can be unpleasant if your tastebuds aren't "trained" to all the preservatives (which is a good thing!) I personally don't like the texture of most of the store bought yogurts because they have a lot of corn starch in them to "thicken" and I feel like coats my tongue. Ick. The organic yogurts often times don't use the thickening agents so they taste better to me and have a better mouth-feel.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  07:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I looooove Stoneyville!! I use part of it to make my own yogurt which comes out so smooth it's amazing, and then I eat the rest that is left over! :-)

Regarding sauerkraut, if you all are interested, I have a blog post with step-by-step instructions on how to make sauerkraut with pictures at each step. You can read it at http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=2107 I can some of mine and freeze some because we just don't eat it fast enough. Because of our hot weather, I can only make it in the fall and winter.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on Mar 05 2011 11:02:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls for all the info....now I am very interested in trying my hand at making my own. There are still 6 containers in the fridge that I will have to force myself to eat because no one here will eat them for me;/ Guess that is another clue as to how distasteful they are;/ I learn somethng new everyday;) Will let you know how it goes......Erica
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  5:25:27 PM  Show Profile
Mountain High is a favorite in our family. Also Coconut "so delicious" yogurt is pretty good if you want to go dairy free. Any of either with real fruit on the bottom are delicious...

~Breanna

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  5:45:32 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried making smooties with the plain yogurt and add honey or maple syrup? That is so good. I love Stoneyfield but only the whole milk French Vanilla and the plain. So good. Also another way to get the good bacteria is kefir. I make sauerkraut by the quart. It is good and crunchy and I just eat it plain. And kimchi too. So many ways to ferment foods. And they are so good for you. And if you don;t want to do all that you could just take probiotic capsules.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  06:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I love homemade yogurt with a drizzle of raw honey, chopped apples, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I highly recomend buying your yogurt unsweetened as long exposure to sugar starts to kill all the good bacteria you want in the yogurt.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  07:06:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm not a fan of any brands other than Stonyfield Farms and Brown Cow. I've never tried soy (it just doesn't "sound" good to me), but after eating the two I've mentioned, I could NEVER go back to store brands like Dannon or Yoplait. Too much artificial flavoring.

I really, really like plain yogurt, and then dress it up with fresh fruit and grains. I also like to make smoothies with fruit and juices. If you're not a fan of yogurt, this is a great way to boost your intake of "good" bacteria and still have it taste yummy.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Yogurt question..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page