owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Well, I guess I'm really behind the times. I went to Blockbuster the other day to rent a video tape and found that they don't have them anymore! They only carry DVDs. Well, I don't have a DVD player so that ended that. I was shocked. Are video tapes really a thing of the past? Boy, I gotta get out more!!!

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I can still rent them where I live

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Jan,

You can still get some at Wal-Mart, but you have to buy them. Some can be bought for as little as $5.50. But I know what you mean. A few years ago already, I was looking for a certain video, which I cannot think of right now, and went to Best Buy and was almost laughed out of the store, (not quite, just by one clerk) when I asked where their video section was, he thought it was quite comical.

Our kids gave us a DVD player this past Christmas, because we didn't have one either and our VCR broke. I didn't know what to do because we have so many videos. They bought us a DVD recorder and so we have been copying some of the videos onto DVD disks, but we are finding out that not all are able to be copied. So, I'm going to have to find a used VCR somewhere or just get a new one (I think they are pretty cheap now) so our favorites on video don't sit there wasting away.

It is hard to believe, though, isn't it, that videos are going the way of the 8-track and cassette? Oddly enough, a few weeks ago, my son and I were yard-saling and found a stereo with a turntable, 8-track player and cassette recorder with AM/FM radio that all still worked, for only $20 - it was a steal. We dug out all my albums that I had been saving (for what, I don't know-glad I did, though) and had a great time listening to them. He doesn't live at home any longer so it was a short-lived pleasure, since he took it home, but now I want to find one so I can listen to my records some more. And it really looked nice in our family room. :o)

Yard sales and consignment shops are probably going to be your best bet to find videos anymore. Just a sign of the times and we are witnesses.

Good luck with your video search. Have a great day of blessings.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  6:09:34 PM  Show Profile
..imagine what is next after dvd's!!

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  07:57:24 AM  Show Profile
Lynda, I have a turntable also. I can still listen to my old, and I mean old, Elvis 45's from when I was a kid! Frannie, maybe after DVD's we'll put on special glasses and be able to watch a movie wherever we are!!! At least my library still has video tapes.
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  3:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Ha ha ha...the funny thing is, in a couple years I'm sure we'll all go to Blockbuster and they"ll say "DVD's? No we don't stock those anymore"

Technology changes so fast!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  4:04:21 PM  Show Profile
I have been renting DVD's for some time now, but still watch my VHS tapes all the time too. I broke down and bought a DVD RECORDER this week end at Costco. Now we can put he VHS (the ones that will allow) onto DVD's and also put all of my 8mm video camera tapes onto DVD. As I have time I will be doing this process...it will probably take me months to get through them all. But it will be nice to have more room in my cupboard where the VHS tapes are. I have boxes of them. My husband thinks I am a bit 'touched' when it comes to recording movies from the tv, but I do watch them over and over again. I love it when Fall rolls around and I watch Christmas movies from September through December. It gets me in the mood, I get real creative and make things to sell.
The best part is that I can record the 8mm home movies onto DVD and makemany copies. Then all the kids can have copies of them and if there is damage done to one it can be replaced by copying someone elses.
My daughter and son-in-law are heading for Germany at the end of the year. They are getting everything put onto DVD and into safety deposit here in the states for safe keeping. I need to do the same, you never know when house fire could destroy all of those memories.
We can still rent VHS here and it is even cheaper than the DVD for some of them. I think the newer movies may only be DVD, though.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  4:50:14 PM  Show Profile
We can still rent them here..but not very many..mostly older movies and kids movies..which is what we rent the most anyway I guess. My oldest son got us a DVD player Christmas before last since he claimed we were hopelessly behind the times..we have more videos than DVDs still though. Ihope the VCR dosn't wear out any time soon.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  2:13:38 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!
Jan

As a librarian, I would suggest that you check with your public library. I work in Fort Worth, and we still have 100's of videos in addition to 100's of dvd's. The best part is that everything is free as long as you return them on time.

You might have to be on a waiting list for very current dvd's but you should be able to just check out most videos since they are now "old fashioned". Your library should also be able to order titles via Interlibrary Loan if it does not have what you want. This is usually free or very low-cost also.

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  3:35:54 PM  Show Profile