Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Anyone ever sewn their own sheets?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone ever sewn their own sheets? Next Topic  

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  06:31:31 AM  Show Profile
I know this may seem like a weird question...but I went to buy a new set of sheets and the cheapest ones I could find were $34 and they were on sale!!! I am trying to save money in every way I can so I can someday be able to stay home with my daughter and I know that I can buy enough material to make sheets for less than $34....has anyone ever done this...or am I the only one desperate enough to try???

Any & All Advice/Suggestions Appreciated!

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  07:21:15 AM  Show Profile
I have never made my own sheets, but it sounds like it would be fun to try. I go to estate and yard sales and find those wonderful old cotton sheets that never seem to wear out. I never pay more than a few dollars for them. A good washing and a day on the line and they are ready for a peaceful night's sleep.
If you make them, let us know how you did it!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Haven't made my own sheets, but I've sewn big pieces of flannel together for a duvet cover. 'Suppose it's along the same lines. It was a little cumbersome and took up the living room for the weekend, but worked out great. I'm all for saving pennies wherever possible and agree that it's gotta be more cost-effective to make your own. Couldn't you just measure your current sheets, get some nice cotton and stitch 'em up? It will have a seam down the middle, but if you zig-zag the edges, shouldn't matter. Good luck!

Catherine

p.s. Don't forget to embroider something cute along the top!

* Proud wife of Dan * Jackson's Mom * Still missing Lucy the Cat... *
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:26:51 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I would probably do a french seem in the middle then top stitch that down it would make for a stronger and more finished looking seam

p.s. real old sheets are not fitted they are two flat sheets if you are going for that look. If not round the edges and sew elastic at the foot and head of the sheet

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 26 2006 08:27:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:27:30 AM  Show Profile
I can't sew but I wanted share what a friend of mine did. Her husband will only use cotton sheets, in the winter she like flannel. She took one flannel and one cotton cut them up the middle and put them back together with one of each. She is so happy now.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  09:23:05 AM  Show Profile
You can buy extra wide fabric for sewing sheets, then you don't need a seam down the middle. Look at www.fabric.com
All of these will work: http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-quilt-backing-broadcloth-extra-wide-fabics.aspx

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  09:27:36 AM  Show Profile
if you go to your local fabric store you should be able to buy material for sheets....wide enough. I bought some for a duvet and it turned out lovely. Sheets shouldn't be near as challenging, not that it was really too difficult. I did button holes on the duvet though and I had never sewn button holes before so that was the only challenging part.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  11:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, I made sheets for the nursey crib years ago. It was very easy. Just fold the corners down right sides together & sew...add elastic either all the way across or only at corners. Be sure you get your sides nice & deep-a lot of newer mattresses are deeper/taller than in the past.
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  05:32:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your wonderful advice! Sunshine- you saved the day as I was worrying about the elastic part...I've never worked with elastic before and was a little nervous...but now I know I don't even need to do that! Catherine- thanks for mentioning the embroidery, I have some cute vintage border patterns that would look great.

Thanks for your help! Let me know if anyone else has any ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  06:12:50 AM  Show Profile
here is a website with illustrated instructions on creating your own bedding. hope it helps.

http://www.alternative-windows.com/beddingindex.htm

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  07:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to ashcordes
make sure if you do it the old way the sheets are good and wide and long as you will be folding hospital corners on all corners of the bed to keep them tucked in just an fyi glad to help

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 27 2006 09:44:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Naillady
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jeri
Belleville IL
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  07:50:08 AM  Show Profile
not made sheets but have made pillowcases because I could not find the color I wanted and could not find jsut pillowcases. They all came with topsheet bottom andpillowcase. And i only waned pillowcases.Used broadcloth at wal-mart for $1.50 a yd. Made 2 talk about cheap
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Saw where Jeri made her own pillowcases. I make my own pillow cases because I use pillow shams and the pillows tucked behind them tend to show somewhat so they need to be pretty When I go to the fabric store I head straight for the remnant table which is half price. The remnants always no less than 2 yds and usually more. 2 yds. will make a set. I wash & dry the fabric before I sew them up. I always coordinate them with the bedding. I use the plain pilllowcases that come with sheets to stamp and embroider to match the bedding. I get a great set of custom pillowcases for 4.00. Cheap. The fabrics I buy are all decorater fabrics: Laura Ashley, Waverly, Tommy Bahama, etc. They make great gifts. Tracy from NC
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:08:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Me again. I forgot to mention that I like to make a french seam when making pillow cases. I have a serger but I just love the french seam. It looks handmade and neat.Tracy from NC
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  6:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great topic! I have been wondering about this exact same thing! Anyone remember in the Laura Ingalls Wilder book when they get their first sewing machine and Laura decides to sew her sheets on that? And they talk about how her grandmother would have been mortified?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  10:08:22 PM  Show Profile
I am broke all the time...I just watch for sales at target and the grocery store, I know this sounds crazy, but I live in a college town, so about 2 weeks after the students come back, I go to Target and can usually alway get sheets from 5-15 dollars, twin-king size, with nice thread counts. Keep your eyes open, and as for flannel, they go on sale just after new years, approx same price as the others. I have never paid $34 for a sheet set, I would not be able to eat if I did. You can buy plain ones, and embelish them in so many ways...save yourself the time and look for the sale.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  4:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If anyone has a need for white sheets that might be slightly stained (usually not even noticable and very treatable) I have a ton and can always get more for free. They would be great for dying and rag rugs or even for your beds. They are from a hotel so are pretty good quality sheets.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  5:40:16 PM  Show Profile
I love buying sheets on sale too. I always check Marshalls or TJMaxx and I usually find a high thread count(400-500) for 25-30 dollars. These sheets can run upwards of 60-80$. Check it out if you have these stores in your region. Tracy. I like white or off white sheets.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 30 2007 :  9:27:33 PM  Show Profile
I make my own pillowcases just because I love all the different fun fabrics that are available. Never thought about sheets though.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Anyone ever sewn their own sheets? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page