Page: of 2

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  6:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Trish! I lived in Cocoa Beach when I was a little girl -- actually Patrick AFB. That was in the 1950s, when Cocoa Beach consisted of the Surfside Restaurant (it had a big decal on the glass front door advertising that it was AIR CONDITIONED!!!), the Sands Motel, a drug store with a proper old-timey wood soda fountain with ceiling fans, and a trailer up on cinder blocks that served as the local bank. It was really beautiful in those days, no development to speak of, just beach. Oh yeah, and palmetto bugs (yuck). What was it like when you were there?
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  6:45:19 PM  Show Profile
About mineral makeup. I use the Jane Iredale brand, sold only through dermatologists' offices and, I guess, some spas. The foundation comes either pressed in a pretty gold compact or loose, in a jar. Both are lovely, and have sunscreen built in. I'm no spring chicken, and this makeup gives my skin a nice even tone without being at all drying. It's tempting to use more than you should, but since it's got more pigment than other mineral makeups, you have to go lightly. It's pricey, but really worth it.

Edited by - Rosemary on Apr 12 2011 1:18:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

pmburk
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pamela
Fort Worth TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  1:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Send pmburk a Yahoo! Message
I'm a makeup junkie. I have at least 10 assorted foundations and a number of eyeshadows so high I'm not even going to reveal it. Scary! I wear Bare Mineral foundation quite often during the summer, because it holds up like a champ in the Texas summer heat. I don't need much coverage, so I think it is probably best for women who like light or maybe medium coverage. It definitely isn't heavy. I also own and like several of their eyeshadows, face color/blush, and the mineral veil powder. Their concealer is also really nice.

If I want to give the foundation a little more "oomph" I'll use Smashbox Photo Finish or another primer (I like L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base for a drugstore find) underneath.
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  2:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone used both PurMinerals and BareMinerals? I've only used BareMinerals and was thinking about trying the Purminerals but was hoping to hear what others thought of it?

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  4:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Holly, that's really good to know about the zinc causing the 'burning sensation' when your skin gets hot. I have hot flashes and hadn't had a problem with the BareMinerals until I started flashing all the time. I also use the Bisque and love it for covering up the redness. I know the Titanium and the Zinc are added as sunscreens. I can't use any product that has a chemical sunscreen because it really irritates my skin. Good to know zinc can do that too!

quote:
Originally posted by HollyG

I have been using Bare Minerals for about 5 years. I'm currently having some issues with my skin, although not related to the mineral foundation. I have ordered from QVC, but pay so much more in shipping than if I order from BM online. From them, $50.00 or more is free shipping, although it takes a bit longer to get the product. I use the Bare Vitamins Skin Rev-er Upper as a foundation year round, and I add the Prime Time in the winter when my skin is a bit dry and flaky.

The only problem I've had with the make-up is a burning sensation when I get hot. I've had friends complain of the same, and since we live in South Arkansas, it's hot here about 9 months out of the year. I finally called the company and they told me some people react to the zinc in the product. I just know not to wear it when I'm going to be working outside and to stay as cool as possible the rest of the time! I have used a trick to help with blemishes, etc. I have the Bare Minerals Multi-tasking Bisque (which blends wonderfully with my skin.) I used the "foiling" technique they recommend for eye make-up to make it stick to the icky places. I wet my brush, dip in the powder, and apply. I lightly dust with the mineral veil, let set a minute, then apply the foundation over, touching up if necessary. This provides all-day blemish coverage.

As I said, I do have skin issues and will be seeing a dermatologist next week for a "cure"! If he mentions anything good or bad about my products, I'll be sure to share. Right now, everything breaks me out, including store-brand mineral make-up. (Ran out of the good stuff.) Keep your fingers crossed for me!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

Kim
Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

pmburk
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pamela
Fort Worth TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  06:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Send pmburk a Yahoo! Message
^ Re the burning, I have issues with the products that contain bismuth. The Bare Minerals blushes and face colors have it, and when I wear it in hot weather, my cheeks get itchy. So far no breakouts, though.
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  07:16:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Pamela, that's good to know too....any other ingredients that might also cause the same issues that you know of?

quote:
Originally posted by pmburk

^ Re the burning, I have issues with the products that contain bismuth. The Bare Minerals blushes and face colors have it, and when I wear it in hot weather, my cheeks get itchy. So far no breakouts, though.

Kim
Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
I just found this website http://www.mineral-makeup-reviews.com/ and it reviews all the mineral makeups out there right now. I think this will be really helpful for me since i'm having reactions to Bare Minerals.

Kim
Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

pmburk
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pamela
Fort Worth TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  1:03:26 PM  Show Profile  Send pmburk a Yahoo! Message
I have also tried some E.l.f. mineral products, and so far I've had good luck. The foundation is okay - I find it more matte than Bare Minerals, but the eyeshadows are fantastic (especially with their mineral eyeshadow primer). They last all day and the colors are really fun. Most Target stores sell them or you can buy online. At $3 per item, you can't beat it.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I just made an order for the samples from Everyday Minerals. When they arrive, I'll review them on my blog.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  3:54:54 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to look for ELF at Target....I just bought some of the Pixi makeup from Target and it was expensive, but so far, no irritation. ELF sounds alot more affordable!

quote:
Originally posted by pmburk

I have also tried some E.l.f. mineral products, and so far I've had good luck. The foundation is okay - I find it more matte than Bare Minerals, but the eyeshadows are fantastic (especially with their mineral eyeshadow primer). They last all day and the colors are really fun. Most Target stores sell them or you can buy online. At $3 per item, you can't beat it.

Kim
Farmgirl #184

Go to Top of Page

mountainmomma
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Miriam
Jonas Pennsylvania
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  1:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Send mountainmomma a Yahoo! Message
I have been very happy with Bare Minerals. It covers very well. I was running low so decided to try another brand. I had a reaction to it so I'm sticking to Bare Minerals. Covers my rosacia, doesn't irritate and has SPF of 15.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  6:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I got the Everyday Minerals and have tried them. The review is on my blog!

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Mineral Make-up? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page