Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Need some helpful advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need some helpful advice Next Topic  

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies, I taught myself how to knit this past week. Woo-hoo!
Anyway, my question is what do you do for sore fingers? Or will I eventually get
past this?

Having a ball,
Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  05:38:47 AM  Show Profile
Sore fingers? I had no idea knitting was painful. I want to learn but don't need sore fingers. I hope you get some help with this.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  05:48:25 AM  Show Profile
First off, congrats on teaching yourself to knit! Isn't it satisfying to learn a craft and know that you were self taught?

I just started crocheting, and don't have sore fingers - only a groove in my one finger from the yarn passing over. So maybe wearing those therapeutic gloves that are fingerless would help you? Or taking periodic breaks and exercising your fingers by stretching them while you're knitting. I know, I know.....once you get on a roll you just CAN'T stop! lol

Good luck on finding your solution and I wish you many many years of knittin' !

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  06:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Congrat on teachign yourself a new craft. When I first started knitting, my fingers would ache terrible. But then I learned not to clench my hands. I think we do that and not realize the finers are so tense. If the tips are sore, that will ease with time. For crochet, I lightly wrap a piece of saran wrap around my finger that carries the yarn. This makes the yarn glide over the finger and again don't wrap the yarn too tight on the finger.
Have fun and I hope this helps a litte.

Carmen MJFG #1443

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  4:45:23 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the tips & encouragement! I probably overdid it anyhow. But it is so exciting! I love that I taught myself & I'm loving the knitting.!

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  11:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Knitting is up on my immediate project list. Glad for the tips posted here! And Erin, I will be teaching myself too, so it's encouraging to hear a self-taught success story!! Congratulations!

"The ideal equestrian has the courage of a lion, the patience of a saint, and the hands of a woman."
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need some helpful advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page