Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh! I just remembered something! You know what's really great in this weather, girls? A barbecue! My dad used to go out on the porch in the middle of a snowstorm and make his famous barbecued chicken. The whole neighborhood would suddenly come out to the street and walk by to say hello! LOL! There's nothing like a little grillin' to help wash away those winter blues and bring waves of warm thoughts of the good ol' summertime to your chilled bones!

When my son was in preschool (he's been homeschooled since then), they used to do a mid-winter beach party for the kids in the cafeteria. Everyone brought their shorts and flip flops and towels... The kids would put on their brightly colored suntan lotion, summer hats and sunglasses and then play all sorts of fun summer games indoors. To give you an example, they set up a couple of turtle sandbox indoors with shovels and pails, they played the Beach Boys and other summer tunes piped in over the PA system, and they even had a big net ready so the kids could play beach ball volleyball! They had hot dogs and hamburgers, potato chips and lemonade... ice cream and oven-baked s'mores.. you name it! It was SUCH fun; everyone had a great time - all the kids looked forward to it every year! I think we adults loved it even more than the kids did! LOL!

Maybe we can't pull that exact kind of thing off in our homes (our social halls or churches might allow for it, though!), but we sure can do a theme night with the family on a weekend! Maybe with all the food and dress-up and a little kitschy viewing of "Beach Blanket Bingo" or some other summer flick... I'm getting pretty jazzed up over this! I think I just might plan one for the weekend! (IF I can get over this flu thing that hit today...AND if my guys will humor me after "suffering" so much and allow me to get a little "geeky!") I think it'd do us all a world of good!

Ribs, chicken, corn on the cob, a nice, lush salad, fresh fruit cut up in a big bowl, an ice cream sundae bar... We've still got some gas in the tank... Hmmmm... My guys might not indulge me with a little "Frankie and Annette," but I bet I could get away with some "Surfin' USA" on the stereo! Oh! Oh! And what about a game of cards or Yahtzee?! And I think I still have some summer scented candles in the candle box to make the atmosphere just right... I even have seashells and sand and starfish and some really cool summer hurricane holders I could bring out to decorate! My guys are going to think I'm insane! LOL! But, ooooohhh... doesn't that just sound scrumptious? A nice summer break in the midst of all this snow! I can make it happen!

What about you? Do any of you have any neat ideas to add to this mid-winter's night "getaway?" I'd LOVE to really do it up big!

Why don't we each plan a big farmgirl "summer break" night this month and then take pictures to share at the end of the month!!! Wouldn't that be FUN?! Are you in??? Who's with me???

Happy summer dreamin'! -

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:13:25 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary and I have picnics right in our living room if we get stir crazy. I put on a dvd that is a slideshow of the Minnesota north shore, we get our big picinic blanket out, move the coffee table and make pb&j, have some chips and cookies, and it makes th winter blues go away just for a little while!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:49:54 AM  Show Profile

Nini, Bruce grills all winter long here in the Great North Woods. We are B-B-Q fanatics!

I LOVE the idea of a mid-winter Beach Party what a great idea!

The sky is BLUE today with ever so much sun....I think that spring is finally on her way--WHEW.

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Gimme a SUMMER break! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page