Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello my fellow Farmgirls,

Are there any RUG HOOKERS, RAG RUG CREATORS OR LATCH HOOKERS out there in the great wide world?
If you would like to chat about your creations, come on in.
I'm Petra and I'm currently working on a few toothbrush rag rugs, and I'm also working on two rugs I'm hooking on Monkscloth.
www.picturetrail.com/sunshine66

Edited by - peaches in color on Feb 27 2011 2:47:57 PM

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Me me! I rug hook. I usually use Monkscloth. I sadly have not had time to finish anything lately. :(

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:42:52 PM  Show Profile
I just finished crocheting my first rag rug! It turned out really cute. My camera is broken so I will have my DD take a picture and post it later.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  5:58:29 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Fiddlehead Farm

I just finished crocheting my first rag rug! It turned out really cute. My camera is broken so I will have my DD take a picture and post it later.

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Awesome, Diane,

Happy to meet you and cheer your enthusiasm, lol. I'm pretty new to making toothbrush rag rugs, found out about it by mere chance when I saw video instructions on youtube. As soon as I created my first one I was hooked. I have not started a crochet one yet, but want to badly. Are you using fabric strips? How wide did you cut the strips and are you folding the edges in before you crochet the strips?
Check out my pics here:
www.picturetrail.com/sunshine66

Glad to have you to chat with,
Petra

Edited by - peaches in color on Feb 25 2011 6:02:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  6:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I rug hook (with wool strips) on monkscloth, my daughter (now 15) just finished a latch hooked one.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  6:09:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, my daughter just finished a locker hooked one!

Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  6:11:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by woolgirl

Me me! I rug hook. I usually use Monkscloth. I sadly have not had time to finish anything lately. :(

Farmgirl #1947

A pleasure to meet you, Elizabeth
Are you using only wool? I'm not able to buy alot of wool at the moment, so I'm using fleece and whatever I can get my hands on at this time. Wool isn't exactly readily available here in the Wild Wild West, lol.
I'm dying to get started on an exotic floral rug, just like the one I cross stitched a few years back, but this time I will hook it on Monks cloth. You can see it on my picturetrail site.
Petra
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I get a lot of my wool from cutting up thrift shop clothes (suits and pants) and off ebay. I was surprised how great the stuff from ebay is. It is priced really great and they can cut it into any size you want. I have been plaing with hooking with yarn too and have liked how it turned out, it gives a different texture in the piece.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile
Petra, I used fabric strips cut into about 1" wide. I don't fold them, I like the ragged look. I also don't sew the strips together, I just square knot them and let the ends pop out. Real rustic look. I saw it in MJF Lifestyle Book.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  9:18:02 PM  Show Profile
When I first read this thread I didn't think I had worked on rugs. However, I guess I did braid a denim rug, and crocheted a few rugs to match bed covers. I learned the toothbrush technique and used it with 4-H kids. I've collected a few old rugs just because I love textiles and needle work techniques. Would like to try rug hooking with wool. I think I could see well enough to do that. Getting excited about that. And, hearing someone describe their loom made with broomsticks..made me think why didn't I think of something that simple..I could've had a V8. :)

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile
I crocketed a rag rug out of my left over fabric scraps. Turned out really cute and pretty.
Farmgirl sister Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  2:22:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Juanita,
So sorry to hear about your friends passing, I hope you can finish this rug for her. I've done many rugs with the Latch hook method. It's pretty easy and fun once you get the idea. I posted a link to a youbube video tutorial. You may find more videos on that site if you look to the right of the video, if you need more instructions.
Hope this helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=425BVufIK0I

Check back in with me once you got the hang of it. Have fun!
Petra

quote:
Originally posted by needy

WOW. How great is that. I'm talking about rug hooking with a latch hook.I did not do much of this.
A dear friend passed away about 6 weeks ago and her husband gave me her partly finished rug. Its about 3x5 and it is about a third done. She got to the point she couldn't do it. I want so much to finish it, but don't think I can remember how to get it done. Is someone out there in farm land willing to tell me how or send me somewhere I can find out.
I was ust getting ready to call on you all to see if anyone out there would help and look what I saw, you were talking about it. Thanks and Hugs from farmsister #1020 Juanita

Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  2:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Cari,

That's great that you can share a great craft like Rug Hooking and Locker Hooking with your daughter. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your rugs soon.
Petra

quote:
Originally posted by Singing Tree Farm

Yes! I rug hook (with wool strips) on monkscloth, my daughter (now 15) just finished a latch hooked one.

Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
I crocheted a rag rug for my sissy (herblady55).Made it with old flannel clothing, worked great. Just made strips, no sewing, made some knots to join or just crocheted the next strip right into it.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile
I'm a rug creator wanna be. Made punch needle rugs when I was in high school (back in the 60's). Been collecting denim to make a rag rug but what really looks like fun to me is penny rugs like these http://www.astorybooklife.com/how-to/penny-rugs/ been collecting and felting wool to make one.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  11:23:37 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,
Welcome to our Forum. Thanks for the link on the penny rugs. Very interesting site, and the rugs are gorgeous. I haven't tried them yet either.
Petra

quote:
Originally posted by KathyC

I'm a rug creator wanna be. Made punch needle rugs when I was in high school (back in the 60's). Been collecting denim to make a rag rug but what really looks like fun to me is penny rugs like these http://www.astorybooklife.com/how-to/penny-rugs/ been collecting and felting wool to make one.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  11:28:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Craftbug,

Glad to hear from a fellow rugger,
I'm working on a blue rag rug at the moment using cotton. I'm also using flannel strips and fleece for a rug I'm hooking. Sunflowers on a multi colored background. It's coming out nicely.
Petra

quote:
Originally posted by craftbug

I crocheted a rag rug for my sissy (herblady55).Made it with old flannel clothing, worked great. Just made strips, no sewing, made some knots to join or just crocheted the next strip right into it.

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17148 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17148 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  6:48:20 PM  Show Profile
I have done several "Latch Hook" rugs, but what I really enjoy are crocheting rag rugs...I currently have 8 stacked in my guess room...I just keep making them for pleasure.....
these are just a few....

enjoy....
www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Feb 28 2011 6:56:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  7:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Love your color combos, Grace.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  11:02:10 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
Love those rugs. Is that a size Q hook? and about how wide are your strips? Have lots of stuff in my rag bag to make strips for rug making.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17148 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17148 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  12:27:19 PM  Show Profile
yep, a 'Q' hook

as for the size of my strips, if it is a thick sheet (not real soft) I rip them in 1" pieces other wise it is to bulky to crochet...if the sheet is well worn I cut about 1 1/2" strips.
To attach my strips i cut a small 3/4" slit at each end(of each strip), then I run a 2nd strip through the slit, and then catch up the end of that strip & run it thru the slit and gently pull till it self locks...I continue this till I have a ginormus ball of yarn...lol!
I will take step by step photos later & upload them here, so hopefully by tonight you will be able to see how I join them.
I tried knotting them but I didn't like the 'knotty lumps'..lol!
and it takes for ever to stitch them together.....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17148 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17148 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  1:44:28 PM  Show Profile
ok, here is how I attach my strips.....hope this makes since....
>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

the 2 white 'tails' are from 1 strip & the blue & yellow 'tails' are from the 2nd strip.

cut 3/4" slite at each 'tail'

run one tail thru the 1st stips tail and then run the tail of the 2nd strip thru it's own slit.

gently pull together

then give a wee snug pull to 'lock'the strips together.

Edited by - katmom on Mar 01 2011 1:56:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  1:52:14 PM  Show Profile
I've been making rugs using a locker hook. Instead of using strips of material, I have been using yarn. The only problem is that I haven't really taken the time to figure out how much yarn I need to purchase. The thickness of the yarn does make a difference. I started one last year for a friend who was retiring. Needless to say, she hasn't gotten it yet. I am finally down to the quarter of the rug so hopefully she will get it for her birthday! :-) The next "to do" project is table place mats for my daughter. The "to do" list sure gets longer and longer!

Carole
Arizona Farmgirl Sister #2556
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  6:09:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Grace and the pics helped alot.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  9:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, Grace,
I'm impressed. These rag rugs are gorgeous. I'm jealous,lol. Good going for you. I hope to finish a few more Toothbrush rag rugs soon. Sorry I haven't posted any pictures yet. My camera is busted.
Rug around the clock,
Petra
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  9:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carole,

Welcome to the Rug Creators Forum,
Nice to meet you, and hello to a fellow Arizonan! I lived in Arizona for the last 15 years. Prescott was my last stop before I moved to Las Cruces, New Mexico.
I hope you enjoy this Forum, and chat at your hearts delight!
Petra
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic rug creators Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page