Phirefly
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Stacy
Damascus new brunswick
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  2:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I started a rag rug. It is a oval one. I cut strips then sewed them together. But the pattern I have didn't tell me where to inc and it didn't come out just right. Anyone have any ideas on how to make the sides look straight and the tops look nice an round?
Thanks all
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17151 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17151 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  2:51:03 PM  Show Profile
hey Stacy,
as I come around into the 'curve' I inc a stitch at both the 'into' & 'out of' the curve....and do the same at the other end....
I have also found that if I loosen up(as my rug starts getting larger)my stitches a smidge in the curves, it does help a little with the "curling'....often the curling is caused by to tight of stichings...and in a circle rug again alow the stitches to be looes & squeese in an extra stitch here & there.
Sometimes I just minipulate my rug by addding an extra stitch if I see it is puckering/curling....
But the best part is,,,once done, I just sort of hand stretch it into shape...and lay it flat.
When washing my rag rugs, I dry to barely damp...then I stretch it into shape and lay it flat in a sunny location to finish drying.
Ok, here is a wee funny... on my 2nd rug,,,mind you, I roll them to sit in my lap so I can crochet them easier...I ketp stiching and when done, I unrolled only to realize I had created a gianormous 'bowl' ack! so now, every few rows I roll it out to double check my stitching! lol!
and yes, I tore the whole thing out and started all over again!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  09:55:07 AM  Show Profile
I have crochet and woven them. I love how sturdy they are.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  10:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Stacy,
Are you crocheting a rag rug? It will make a difference on your question. Make sure you use similar fabrics in thickness, that will help with the evenness of the rug. Also, how tight you pull the loops will affect the shape. I lay my rug out flat on the floor every time I'm done with it for the day, so it can relax and I can see if I need to increase or decrease on the curves so it lays flat. I never roll my rugs because it distorts its shape. As for the add on strips, I usually add them on a straight piece, but with a multi colored one you really don't have much choice when you use short fabric strips.
Hope this helps.
Petra

quote:
Originally posted by Phirefly

I started a rag rug. It is a oval one. I cut strips then sewed them together. But the pattern I have didn't tell me where to inc and it didn't come out just right. Anyone have any ideas on how to make the sides look straight and the tops look nice an round?
Thanks all

Go to Top of Page

Phirefly
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Stacy
Damascus new brunswick
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2011 :  1:53:57 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I am crochetting the rag rug. It looks pretty good after letting it sit on the floor for a while. It just looks like it is coming into a circle rather then an oval. I guess it is more like a work it out and rip it out lol. I did that alot. I had gotten a big tub of fabric at a yard sale and didn't like all the colors so instead of giving it away I thought why not make a rug for my house. So I am going to try and add on to it now that it laying flat. I just am worried it will not stay oval.
Thanks for the hints ladies.
~Phirefly~
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  07:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Over the weekend I finished a locker hook rug in assorted colors, predominately purple. I used yarn rather than fabric. Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera to take a picture of it. It is a retirement gift for a friend of mind and it is only a year late! :-) Now I need to work on some table placemats for my daugther. She has bought the yarn for me and it will be done with white, purple, and green. Need to plan the pattern for them.

Carole
Arizona Farmgirl Sister #2556
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17151 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17151 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  3:27:50 PM  Show Profile
Stacy,
the nice thing about ragrugs is even tho they tend to 'flatten down' after being walked on, all you have to do is toss them in the was & dry & they fluff right back up.
My hubby liks a more 'tuff rug' so I crocheted his out of some newer~stiffer sheets but for my grand babies I used well worn/soft sheets cuz they like to hide under theirs (like a tent) funny what babies do....pee-a-boo!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  9:30:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm a brand new farmgirl sister and I'm a rug hooker. I use wool fabric strips on linen or burlap. I also dye/over dye wool for my rugs. I would love to crochet a rag rug! It would be nice to swap out some of the wool ones for rag rugs in the warmer months. It would feel more seasonal and would be a nice change. Ha! Just what I need, another hobby. I'd love to see more pictures of what you all are working on.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:08:48 AM  Show Profile
I have made a few "blooming flower" rugs from a Tasha Tudor magazine about 15 years ago.

It's super easy and you can whip 'em up quickly.
Amy

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:30:36 AM  Show Profile
Really pretty Amy! That's what I mean by seasonal. How fresh is that for spring.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1493 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1493 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  12:24:42 PM  Show Profile
I've made a few projects with Nantucket style wool hooking. I gave them all away as gifts so unfortunately I don't have any examples to post. It is really easy to learn and fun for all ages. The background fabric I used was a heavy weave linen fabric that looks alot like fine burlap. Then you take each color area and hook it in with continuous loops from the ball of yarn. Here is a link to the website of the lady who inspired me to give this craft a try: www.littlehouserugs.com She makes and dyes her own yarns and sells kits that she assembles herself. She also makes and sells rugs and does custom orders.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  1:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I crochet rag rugs. They sell well in the Gift Shop at the Ozark Folk Center where I work. I also teach people to make them.

www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
www.Pasthymesfashions.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  3:41:22 PM  Show Profile
I'll bet they sell well! I'd love to learn how to do this.
CMac

Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  1:27:35 PM  Show Profile
For those of you who have trouble getting your oval crochet rugs to lie flat----the key I found is to increase 3 stitches on each end. Put one extra stitch into each of 3 stitches as you go around the curved end. I also join my row at the end of each round, chain 1 and turn---rather than going around in concentric circles. This makes it the same on both sides. Hope this helps. My first 10 or so rugs turned into "baskets" and had to be ripped out until I figured this out.

I teach crochet rug making at the Ozark Folk Center, as well as sell them in the gift shop. They do sell well, but take a lot of fabric and a lot of time to make---so they aren't making me a rich lady!
My main job there is as the 'clothier' making old time clothing, aprons, hats, etc. I also dance in many of the evening shows, and sometimes play music. I also teach guitar and mountain dulcimer to elementary & middle school children.
Gail
www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile
does anyone have free patterns ...for hooking pins, hand bags etc.?

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - May 30 2011 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile
I have been making rag rugs for the last forty years. I would very much like to show you all a couple of my latest creations, but I have no idea how to get pictures on this forum.

I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic rug creators Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page