Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Snowbound reading and homesteading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Snowbound reading and homesteading Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2005 :  08:50:06 AM  Show Profile
This past weekend I was thoroughly enjoying being housebound and was looking through some old books and found one that I can't believe I've forgotten to mention. WOODSWOMAN by Anne LaBastille
is an amazing book that begins a trilogy as this phD goes off the grid to build her own home and be self sufficient in the Berkshire Mountains. Her writing is very honest, humane and down to earth as her story unfolds. The second book is Beyond Black Bear Lake and tells the continuing story as the world moves in and she moves further into the wilderness to peace and tranquilty. I know our library used to have 8 copies of this book so you might get lucky at your library ( or interlibrary loan). It's a great read, not at all romanticised and told in a most accessible way. Enjoy!!!

with a happy heart

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2005 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
Thank you Bramble.
I too am housebound and in need of books about woman and their great adventures. I will be off today to
pick up the Woodswoman ...perfect timing.
thankyou
terese

beginnings
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2005 :  09:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bramble! Glad everyone is safe! Thanks so much for the recommended reading! I went online to our regional library and the choices that come up are:
Women and Wilderness, Anne LaBastille, SFO, Sierra Club Books c1980. (Is this the same book you are recommending?)
I also found Beyond Black Bear Lake, NY, Norton, c1987.
I've ordered both, so hopefully it won't be too long before they arrive!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jan 25 2005 09:25:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2005 :  11:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Clare-- I think Women & the Wilderness is the 3rd. The first book is just called Woodswoman and the 2nd is sometimes called Woodswoman II:
Return to Black Bear Lake.
Therese-- You were in the path of this crazy storm too I guess! Hope you like the book, I know it's been on my favorite list since the late 70's/early 80's.(Now I'm showing my age!)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  1:34:27 PM  Show Profile
As we crazy Canadians are up to our in snow and we are looking toward spring. Seed catalogues are pouring in the house, and temperatures are dropping outside.

A really nice homesteading book I have borrowed from the Public Library every year is called Homesteading by John Vivian. Not only does he cover the small animals thing but the seeding, planting varieties all the way to butchering your own animals. I have learned a lot from this book.

But I still use an abattoir!!

Marlyn
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  2:54:08 PM  Show Profile
Marlyn, What is an abattoir? Thanks Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  3:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know either, so I looked it up:

abattoir

n : a building where animals are butchered [syn: butchery, shambles, slaughterhouse]

This is what keeps things so interesting!! We are neighboring countries, speak the same language, yet there are words that are specific to our own regions. I have friends from Alberta, and every once in a while they'll use a word that is totally foreign to me. Keeps me on my toes!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  3:43:56 PM  Show Profile
I have never read "Woodswoman" but at one time I was a NYS licensed outdoor guide. So was (is?) Anne; I never met her as I worked a fulltime job and was unable to attend the annual guides meetings. I believe there are many such women out there, making a life as they want. I found it difficult to make a living as a guide, in part to where I lived. Had to "keep my day job" so to speak. It would be interesting to know if anyone (woman) is actually making a living in the wilderness, as a guide or ???

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2005 :  4:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone read Thr Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader, by Joan Dye Gussow? I was curious if it was any good.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

marlyn
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

marlyn
Norwood Ontario
Canada
36 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2005 :  06:19:36 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies

Sorry about the word "abattoir", I never thought about it being French. But that is what they are called up here. Basically it is a slaughter house for animals ( cows, sheep deer etc) and they get butchered up privately for you. I use to do my own chickens, but the "abattoir " does it for $2.00 a chicken, bagged and chill frozen for me. When I bring in 50 or more chickens the price drops. I figure its worth the hastle.

I went into the city yesterday. First time since Nov 8! My list was two pages long and of course never got finished but I did however get the book "Woodswoman" from the Public Library. I have just finished the first chapter and ladies it is a really good book.

When My husband and I first got married we bought 800 acres on a "private" ( no buildings) Lake. We were going to build our dream cabin on it. We worked there every weekend clearning land and felling trees for the cabin. Planted a garden etc. It was a dream and a hard one at that. Then Kid #1 came along and reality hit us, by kid #2 there was no way we could do our dream. But we still have the property. Last summer Hubby and friends went up there to cut firewood for our farm cookstove, and the men started to clear the now grown over clearning and make a base for the cabin. They have cleared a path
so we don't have to always boat across. I think that dream is still there in both of us. Retirement perhapes! Reading about all this in the"Woodswoman" is lovely but I hope I get to a part where she talks about how bad the Deer Flies and Blackflies are.

Thanks for sharing these books with us all. I would have never come across such a lovely book on my own. I am still looking for "Sylvia's Farm" but fear I will have to order it. ( American books are almost double the price in Canada). And the book Kim mentioned "The Organtic Life" I shall also try and seek out.

Marlyn
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2005 :  09:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Marlyn-- I don't remember if it's in the 1st or 2nd book but the deer flies and ticks are nothing compared to the emergency with the concrete! Glad you are enjoying the recommendation.
Since you are new, I'm not sure if you've checked out Swap Shop but that would be a good place to post any books you might like to find .
We have posted lists in the past for books we have to share and I have received some from another member that I wanted to read.Another nice way to recycle! Hope your cabin dream becomes a reality, sounds like you are definitely on the way!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2005 :  10:50:14 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,... Just finished reading Beyond Black Bear Lake, by Anne LaBastille. What an inspiring woman!!!
I would be interested in knowing how her life has played out. Has she been able to remain in the wilderness into her elder years? I certainly hope so. I found much the same spirit in her work as other pioneer women who have had to make such huge strides in their lives to accomplish their goals. It humbles me.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2005 :  1:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Glad you liked it Clare! I've often wondered the same as you and every so often do a search to see if there are anymore books and or info. Haven't checked for a bit... guess curiosity will get this cat again! Although I have been unable to obtain the same sanctuary (yet...) I revel in the fact that Anne did it not once but twice and did it well. I enjoyed her honesty about the isolation, relationships and striking a balance wiithin yourself and the world.
Nice to know there are kindred spirits and they meet here at "the farm"!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2005 :  1:55:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm a curious one, too, Bramble! I did do a search. Her last book was published in 1999 the topic something about her studies in ecology matters. And, I found she did a speaking engagement in October 2004, so she must be doing okay so far! Good for her.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Snowbound reading and homesteading Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page