Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Calling All Cross -xx-Stitchers!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Calling All Cross -xx-Stitchers! Next Topic
Page: of 3

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Are you still cross stitching after all these years? Do you have boxes of patterns that one day you intend on stitching, and bags of unfinished pieces that are begging to be done? Are you looking for a place to share your patterns, frustrations, and successes? Needing that specific pattern, thread, or material that you can't find?? Wishing to find other stitchers whom you wish to chat and share your passion? Well, you've found the right place! Come join Mary Janes Farm Cross Stitchers!

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:17:04 PM  Show Profile
Tell me more!

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:20:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking of switching over to silk threads on my next cross stitch piece. Can anyone offer any positive or negitive comparisons on using silk vs DMC? Also, where is a good source? I've heard one draw back is that silk thread is not produced in the color variety.
Thanks!

Live your life as if you are blessed, not entitled.
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Katherine! Welcome! I recently found my 3! boxes of cross stitch patterns and was biten by the cross stitching bug again. I also found several patterns I hadn't finished. One is from 20 years ago. YIKES!
I was thinking of doing a swap once a number of ladies find us. What's a good idea for a swap? Thread? Your fav linen? Silk threads? I'm up for any ideas.

Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  2:41:00 PM  Show Profile
When you find this topic:
Introduce yourself!
How long have you been stitching?
What is your favorite pattern genre?
How many unfinished projects?
What are you currently working on?
What was your favorite piece ever?
Is there anyway we can help you?

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  05:36:21 AM  Show Profile
I love to cross stitch. Right now I'm working on a country sampler that I am going to turn into a wall quilt and a teddy bear afghan that is probably going to take me the rest of my life to finish.
hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Feb 25 2011 05:36:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:05:19 AM  Show Profile
I love, love, love to cross stitch and have been at it for about 20 years - I have way more kits waiting for my in the closet than I care to admit I haven't ever ventured away from kits though and would like to. I really appreciate you starting this thread! thanks

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:14:05 AM  Show Profile
i recently returned to cross titching and love it! have been a stitcher for over 20 years. found 4 unfinished projects that i am trying to work on (broken finger)and have finished two ornaments since feb 9th (day i broke finger) and have almost finished the third have a boat load of books and dmc thread and want more!!!!
:0

hugs
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:35:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello! Glad to meet you Marcy, Janiee, and Star-Schipp,
I guess since I started this I need to answer my own questions!
I started stitching over 20 years ago when I was in college.
My favorite genre is stitching samplers, herbs/flower/fruit 'Victorian' arrangements, and anything seashore.After having blown the dust off my crosstitching box that I'd put away I found 7 unfinished projects. It was so nice taking a trip down memory lane. I could trace my life over the past 20 years by the projects and patterns I'd bought. I've jumped right in and am working on two unfinished samplers. My favorite pieces are the four old sailing ships I stitched for my bathroom.

Star-schipp, I started out working with kits but finally took the brave step of switching to linen. It took me a while to get use to stitching on linen but now I won't stitch on anything else. I have a large box of Aida that I'll never use. I've turned it over to my 11 yr old daughter who is now learning to stitch.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile
This is GREAT.. I have been stitching over 25 years.... I've done small projects and samplers..right now I have one UFO a snowman thru out the year...will take it out and start working on it.. I mostly love country patterns..I had a pattern that said Silent Night and the picture was of a small country church..I can't find my pattern of it and I have searched high and low for it.. I can't seem to find it any where! I hope someone maybe able to help me find it again. Great thread!!
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:51:53 AM  Show Profile
I have just started cross stitching. I have always enjoyed embroidery. Thought I would try cross stitching. Not sure if I like it or not yet!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  1:02:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm Claudia, live in Eastern Washington state and I love x stitching. I haven't done it for about 5 years as I got busy really trying to crochet and get some of that down pat. I have 3 unfinished articles. Think I started x stitch about 1982. I did about 4 flower wall pictures, a baby quilt, pillow cases, towels etc. I would be interested in hearing what you plan for this group. When gardening comes, I usually put down a lot of crafts and do something that is portable if I go vacationing etc. That is why I like crochet, as it is so portable.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

fairlee
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Fairlee
Hamlin Texas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  3:28:25 PM  Show Profile
I love to cross-stitch. Would love to trade patterns and chat.
Go to Top of Page

peaches in color
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Petra
Las Cruces NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  3:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone,
My name is Petra and I'm an addict, yes I admit it a craft a holic. I have been cross-stitching for 35 years and just recently added rug hooking and toothbrush rag rugs to my list. Two years ago I moved to New Mexico and love it here, but having trouble finding crosstitcher's and fellow rug creators in my area. Give me a shout if you are near Las Cruces, NM.
Great to find fellow crosstitchers. I love Paula Vaughan's designs, and also create my own if needed. You can check out some of my work here including my Exotic Garden Rug: www.picturetrail.com/sunshine66
Looking forward to chatting with you all. Have a great day,
Petra
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:06:22 PM  Show Profile
I doing a angle book mark
and also a picture of roses
the roses is in linen it was in kit form
I like linen thread; but it is a pain to work with !
I had to e-mail DmC and tell them about the thread breaking.
I have cross stitched and hand embroidery for years and never have had a problem such as I had with it fraying and breaking.
They sent me a complete set of thread of the same kit so I can finish the picture later.
I don't think I would use silk thread or linen in things like a quilt.
I am hand emboridering some quilt squares. too.
i have to many projects in work at the moment.
knitting, sewing, quilting , cross stitching and embroidery, ha. hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:24:40 PM  Show Profile
I have loved counted x-stitch for almost 30 years. I stopped when my children were little as they would want to get close and "help" so it was hard for me to concentrate. As they got older I would do projects off and on. Now as my eyes are getting older I found it a little more difficult but stonger reading glasses have helped. I like to do samplers and found a pilgrim picture I would like to do. (Maybe if I start now I could get it done by Thanksgiving!) Last Christmas I made a 4 generation family tree for my parents. I am afraid to count up my UFO's but I know there are plenty including a birth announcement sampler for my grandson (who will be 3 this summer!) which I guess should be my next project.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  4:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Sheila and Petra. I looked at your work...absolutely beautiful for you both. I see Sheila that you bead. I love your broaches. Marvelous. I have done a little of that, but not with the big beads that stand out from the center. Now back to cross stitch!

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  07:59:23 AM  Show Profile
My mother taught me to embroidery when I was about 12 and then I got into cross-stitch in my 20's. That means I've been stitching for about 34 years. I mostly like to do small pieces like bookmarks but I do large pieces. I just did a large piece for Christmas. I don't have any major pieces started right now but there are some small pieces that I am experimenting with. I have designed some sampler/collage pieces that I made wall hangings out of. I have alot of books and ideas. If anybody needs a pattern, let me know so I can see if I have anything. Besides embroidery and cross-stitch, I crochet, loom knit, watercolor paint, scrapbooking, and arts and crafts in general. I have a hard time concentrating on one hobby. I would like to try combining painting and cross-stitching a little more.

Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  08:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Crafter!
I believe I have the pattern of Silent Night: country church with the words Silent Night beneath. E-mail me your address and I'll get this in the mail to you ASAP. Hopefully it's the same one, if not, you'll have a new pattern.
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  7:32:36 PM  Show Profile

Hey Everyone!
Years ago I was naive about buying fabric ahead when you have more than one pattern in a series that needs to be stitched. I bought what I needed for the 1st pattern and when I returned the material was sold out. To make it worse, the shop had changed owners and the new owners did not have the ordering history.

For the past 8 yrs I have carried this swatch to every cross stitch shop I've entered . No shop or fellow cross stitcher can identify it.

My sister and I did the burn test. The material burned, did not melt, so it is a linen as I was told. The material also has a strong burlap smell.

I'll purchase as much as I can find. The pictures are at the link below. I tried to upload them but was unable. Thanks for looking!!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gid23711924

Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  11:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Are you close enough to a city with a cross-stitch store. If you could send me a swatch, I could look. I'll e-mail my address.

Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile
[Are you close enough to a city with a cross-stitch store. If you could send me a swatch.]

Thanks Katherine! I live very close to Knoxville which has 2-3 good shops and Dixie Darlin' [http://www.dixiedarlin.com] in Pigeon Forge. Each shop has been very accommodating and helpful by assisting me in looking through their manufacturer's fabric sample catalogs. None of the major companies have this fabric in their samples.

Each shop owner has told me the same: That there were fabrics, magazines, and cross stitching selections that were produced during the heyday/peak of cross stitching (late 80's/early 90's) that are no longer available today. They believe this fabric falls into that catagory.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  5:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey ladies, I'm a novice at x-stitching. Just started to do two baby bibs - simple for a beginner I thought. Also have a couple of real simple kits that I had started long ago (gave up) and dug out. After reading up in some books, my stitches didn't look like they should. Will take out stitches and start anew. I'm also teaching myself to do punchneedle and emboidery. Think I've burned out on knitting for awhile. This thread will be so wonderful for me to run to when I have a problem or question or just need to yell HELP. Thanks for starting this.
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  11:46:31 AM  Show Profile
Andrea- I emailed my address to you..I can't believe you have the pattern! I'm so excited I could cry!! I loaned my copy out and have been looking literally for years for that pattern!
THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!
THANK YOU!!!

Lori

Edited by - crafter on Feb 28 2011 11:49:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  12:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Love Love Love Cross Stitching.

I do lots of samplers. I have been doing cross stitch since the 6th grade.

I love over dyed silk thread. Vicki Clayton's are really nice and reasonable. You can visit her here: http://www.hand-dyedfibers.com

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

AutumnSpices
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Andrea
Blaine Tennessee
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  07:04:11 AM  Show Profile
[Andrea- I emailed my address to you..I can't believe you have the pattern! I'm so excited I could cry!! I loaned my copy out and have been looking literally for years for that pattern! - Crafter.]

You're so welcome! I'll have it in the mail ASAP. The words 'Silent Night' are actually above the steeple, not below the pic, so I really hope this is the pattern you need. If not, you'll still have a nice pattern, and I'm sending you two others with it. Enjoy!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Calling All Cross -xx-Stitchers! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page