Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Pullman WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:05:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all,

Have you ever tried shampoo in a bar form? I've made soap for about 8 years and about 4 years ago I made a formula that works great as shampoo. It lathers like shampoo and conditions such that it needs no conditioner, although if you have long hair you may want a detangler. It got rid of my itchy scalp when nothing else I tried would. So many customers at the Farmer's Market here in Moscow have given me the same feedback. I think it is because it is all natural and not full of chemicals or detergents that we may be sensitive to. It is economical, healthy for the hair, scalp and environment. It is super convenient for travel, the locker room, camping, etc. You don't spill shampoo in the shower. It is good for dogs as well. Safe for streams & lakes for camping. If anyone wants to try a bar you can check out my website at www.sumptuoussoaps.com. If you have any questions about it, just let me know.

pure & natural

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  08:56:30 AM  Show Profile
Which bar is best for your hair out of them all.

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

shampoo bar lady
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Pullman WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  09:35:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susie, Thanks for your question! It depends on your hair and scalp. My favorite is Tea Tree and I think it does the most for my itchy scalp. However, my son really loves the Lavender Patchouli Neem bar, which is also helpful for psoriasis and eczema and insect control (for camping, etc). There are two neem bar formulas and I think they leave something in your hair when you are done. That is why I don't like it and why others really do. It is a little like leaving some conditioner in your hair. The Tea tree is good for normal to oily scalp. The Woodland is good for normal to dry. I have a Formula Five which has the most wonderful fragrance (from Geranium essential oil) and is good for normal to fine hair. The Formula Four has peppermint essential oil which stimulates the scalp and Ylang Ylang essential oil which is good for the hair. My most recent bar has Peppermint-Tea Tree and Sea Salt. The sea salt keeps it from lathering as much as the others, but it adds body and enhances natural curl, a little like a natural perm effect. I hate putting something sticky in my hair, so I just lather once with my Tea Tree and follow with the sea salt bar and have the body my hair needs to last almost a week without shampooing again.

pure & natural
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile
I too make my own shampoo bar...My favorite contains Rosemary Essential Oil with bits of Rosemary that I grow in my raised herb beds. Rosemary has been used for centuries to stimulate hair follicles which make your hair stronger and grow longer! And the scent of Rosemary to me, is TIMELESS!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  10:52:28 AM  Show Profile
I need something for long hair to make it feel soft. My hair is a little oily but not real bad got any ideas.

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

shampoo bar lady
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Pullman WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  11:32:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susie,
I would probably go with the tea tree. I love how soft my hair feels with a shampoo bar!

pure & natural
Go to Top of Page

shampoo bar lady
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Pullman WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melody,

That's neat that you make shampoo bars too! I was born in Minnesota and lived there a year, moved around the country and came back there for my highschool and college years. My grandparents homesteaded in Northern Minnesota when they were first married. Am I right in assuming "the Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha" is in that vicinity?

pure & natural
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  06:35:50 AM  Show Profile
I use shampoo bars and a solid conditioner, and I love them for traveling! They're not a liquid, so they can be carried on, and I dont worry about them exploding or leaking!:)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:06:44 AM  Show Profile
Megan - would you mind sharing your recipe for the solid conditioner?

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

shampoo bar lady
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kathleen
Pullman WA
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:37:00 AM  Show Profile
A solid conditioner sounds neat, I would be interested in knowing more about it also Megan.

pure & natural
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  5:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Me too!!!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  02:07:00 AM  Show Profile
It's made by Lush cosmetics, and I just LOVE it! Here:

http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/hair/conditioners/jungle

One of my favorite things they make!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  5:50:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to get busy and make a shampoo bar. Thanks for all the tips on fragrances.

"When you get to the end of your rope, you tie a knot and hang on."
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  6:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Prarieland herbs makes incredible shampoo bars!!! The one I have now is rose geranium, suds up great, smells great and my hair is curly for the first time in years, I'm hooked!! And, it's owned by a farmgirl on this site too : ) prairielandherbs.com is the site. I bartered with her and got to try her soap, it's the BEST I've ever tried, and I make soap too...I'd never attempt a shampoo bar though. Hope you all go to her site and try a bar.

Janie

~Janie~
"The country way of life is the closest thing to heaven"
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  6:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I make my own Goat Milk Soap and sell it as well. This is another thing I want to try is shampoo bars to make. Does anyone have a recipe they would like to share with me.
My favorite bar of soap is Lavender and Basil. It just smells so..good and relaxing.

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  2:12:49 PM  Show Profile
I just made my own shampoo bars to sell. I've been using a bar for the past week and my hair has been so soft and wonderful!
I made a medicinal oil with nettles, desert sage, comfrey, oats, rosemary, roses and other herbs (all of which I wild harvested or grew on my homestead) in olive oil. Used that as a base with other oils including coconut, shea and jojoba. The essential oils I use are Tea Tree, Rosemary and Peppermint. Don't forget to follow with a rinse of either 2 teaspoons citric acid or white vinegar in a quart of water, then a final rinse with fresh water. The shampoo bars open the cuticles of the hair, do a great job of stripping the hair of excess oils and dirt. The citric acid/vinegar lays the cuticles back down, leaving your hair silky and easy to style. No need for any conditioners!

----------------------------------------------------------

www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals
Become a fan! http:/https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

ajbaker
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Alicia
Pullman WA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile
I just bought some J.R. Ligget's bar shampoo. I like it so far. I was trying to just use baking soda and a apple cider vinegar rinse for my hair but I could only handle that for about 3 weeks. I like the way the bar shampoo makes my hair feel but I don't feel like it's stripping my hair like normal shampoo. I still use my apple cider vinegar rinse too.
Go to Top of Page

Sadie Hawkins
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Sarah
Reno NV
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2011 :  12:53:14 AM  Show Profile
shampoo bar lady, I just bought two shampoo soaps. I have a camping trip coming up in a few weeks and am excited to take one for me and give one to my friend. Thanks : )
Go to Top of Page

andwhathaveya
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Tiffany
Beckley WV
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2011 :  9:41:23 PM  Show Profile
I had never heard of shampoo bars before today! I'm so excited. I can't wait to tell my best friend about them. Maybe we can get our kids together for a play date and wash our hair.
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile
My mother told me that when she was a small girl she washed her hair with a bar of Octagon soap. You can find it in the grocery store with all the other bar soap.

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Lyndell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Leah
Richwood Ohio
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2012 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile
I've tried shampoo bars before but they've left me with nothing but buildup and a general yuck feeling. Realized it's because I have hard water. Do y'all have soft water or are you in on some secret I don't know about? Would love to have a hard water compatible shampoo bar.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile
I've used the J.R.Legget shampoo/conditioner bar too and loved it. $6.00 a bar though. So I tried one from our local health store and it's ok but seemed to build up on my hair like Leah said. We have soft water so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm going to try it again but this time try vinegar or lemon as a final rinse. Will let you know the outcome. It was only $2.50 a bar....and with being local....No Shipping! A BIG plus!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - May 08 2012 :  8:50:32 PM  Show Profile
OK....I've tried the bar shampoo/conditioner by itself, with a final rinse of lemon water and with a final rinse of vinegar water....
I give up on this brand, It's just not as good as the J.R.Legget brand. It just feels sticky and needs washed within 2 days. Usually I only wash my hair twice a week, if that helps you at all!

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
French-Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  7:51:49 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recipe to share to make bar shampoo? I hope someone out there would share.
Would love to make my own.
Deb

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Shampoo in a bar form Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page