Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Try This
 Diatomaceous Earth flea and tick killer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Try This: Previous Topic Diatomaceous Earth flea and tick killer Next Topic  

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  6:11:11 PM  Show Profile
I posted this on the barnyard forum.. and thought it might be good here too:
We run something of a dog/feral cat rescue out of our home. For the past three years we haven't had any fleas or ticks because I use Diatomaceous Earth on over an acre of land. I also use it in my hen house and barn. It's completely organic and it doesn't harm earthworms. I just put it in a fertilizer spreader and march up and down.
You can read more about at: http://www.ghorganics.com/DiatomaceousEarth.html

Cynthia

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  7:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia, thanks for the info! Going to check out the site now :)

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  3:34:42 PM  Show Profile
My mom has just started using this a wormer for the cats and dogs. She said there are a billion uses for it, its apparently good for just about everything. Even knows a lady that takes a Tbsp of it in her daily cup of coffee. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  4:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Be careful.. from what I've been told there is a food grade Diatomaceous Earth and not food grade. I've read that some zoos are feeding it to some of their animals but I haven't tried it with mine. Anytime we get a new-feral cat in we roll it in the dust and make sure it doesn't get in it's eyes, nose, or mouth. Also it's not good for humans to breath in the powder..it's very fine and blows in the air easily.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Woolgrower
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Missouri
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  09:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Woolgrower a Yahoo! Message
Cynthia, I never thought to use the fertilizer spreader to put it down but thats a great idea. I'd been using a 5 gallon bucket and just a scoop to sprinkle it around to help cut down on the flies in the shady areas where the sheep lay. Never could get a decent coverage so the spreader will definitely help. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
Fleas are driving us crazy this year. But can someone tell me how to pronounce it when I call around to try to find out who sells it? thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Woolgrower
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Missouri
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  10:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Woolgrower a Yahoo! Message
Lets see if I can type it phonetically...

dyatamasheous...does that make sense? You can also just say DE, most will know what you mean.
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  05:47:01 AM  Show Profile
I can never say it right either..lol but I think you can kind of say it like: Dye-a-ta-mate-cha
The spreader I use is a very old one but it covers the ground pretty well.. it looks like a dusting of snow when we are done. We reapply it every couple of months or more depending on rain.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  08:22:23 AM  Show Profile
I do love Alaska. No ticks no fleas no snakes. If you don't have running water or have drained the pipes well just let the house freeze at 20 below and all gone. ;-)

CMF
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Do NOT use the DE sold for pools. It is treated with soda ash, and breathing it in can result in silicosis. You can find food-grade DE, too, but I use the stuff in the lawn section. Just avoid the pool stuff.

I believe it is "Die-ah-tah-may-shus", well, that's how I say it, anyway!

Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kelly22
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kelly
Monmouth Oregon
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  3:48:19 PM  Show Profile
I use this, but haven't had that great of success with it. Maybe I'm not putting enough down. What would you say the rate is?

~Kelly...raising 4 free range sons on our 65 acre sustainable farm
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  4:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information. I'll check the site out. Sounds good.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  6:35:44 PM  Show Profile
I found that I have to us food grade DE in and around my coop and run. Last month my husband bought non food grade that was supposed to used in the yard mot 100% pure and I had a horrible reaction to it. My eye lids turned hot pink with irritation and peeled and flaked like a sunburn. My eyes felt like I had fiberglass in them. I coulnt wear contacts until this week and have had to make several trips to the eye doctor. Please be cautious when using non food grade DE.

Lorie

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  5:45:11 PM  Show Profile
I love DE! It took three doses last spring but it really helped our tick problem.

---
Farmgirl #2951
2012 Farmgirl of the Year
http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Diatomaceous Earth flea and tick killer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page