True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  07:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello fellow Mainiacs!

Just found this forum and am glad I did! I live in Machias which is on the coast up in Washington County. I live on 60 acres and while I wouldn't call it a farm, we have 12 chickens, 1 rabbit, 2 cats, a huge garden(s), and growing naturally on our property are blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, choke cherries, and wild strawberries. I would love a couple of pigs and a cow but would need a barn, lol!

I'm close to mzbonnie (about 45 minutes). AND just this past Sunday I met another farmgirl who lives within walking distance of me!!! Her name is Sue and she just moved here last year! We had a fantastic time together and hopefully will become good friends. I know of two other people in my town who read MJF magazine but one isn't a farmgirl because she isn't on a computer. If she had one, I know she would be.

I believe I read there are a couple of chapters in Maine but the closest to me is Bangor which is 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I'd be up to joining/starting a chapter too! Maybe we could all meet at the Common Ground Fair this year if nothing else?

Debra, we have a Festival here in Machias the third weekend of August called The Blueberry Festival. It has something small going on for a few days during the week but come that Saturday and Sunday it's huge! I bet we get about 15,000 people here that weekend. If you are interested in doing a booth for it you should contact the Machias Bay Area Chamber of Commerce or Center Street Congregational Church. I think the Chamber booth areas are the cheapest to sign up for. Maybe a couple of us could go in together on one booth area although I'd need to know soon since I don't really have a lot made yet. Also Sue's son is getting married in August so she probably can't participate. The spaces fill up fast so it may be to late already. The Chamber number is 255-4402 and the church has a website which is www.machiasblueberry.com

BTW, I LOVE to vegetable garden, watch my "ladies", can and harvest my garden, do computer or paper type arts and crafts, paint wood, fish, and I have a huge herb garden so I make herbal tea's and such. I also love re-constructing my house although my hubby is getting tired of living in a construction zone every year. I can sew but don't do much of it other than maybe my own curtains or skirts for my daughter. I tried to learn knitting and ended up doing it backwards from the teacher, got frustrated and quit. But, I'm game for just about anything (legal and safe that is). Nice meeting you all!

Ginny

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  08:03:14 AM  Show Profile
Ginny, we lived in Machias for a year (Eastport for a year too!) It was a great area and we loved it--we're going to bring the kids up to ME next summer for a visit.

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Sheila, When you come up, let me know ahead of time and we can meet!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2011 :  12:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I will have to check on the dates...but so glad to hear there are others farmgirls near by...

I Thessalonians 5:16,17
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
http://sunflowercritters.blogspot.com/
Be like a Sunflower, Turn your Face to the Son.
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  4:47:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Oggie I will be working in Machias again this friday and saturday.. i fill in at the hannaford there .. i will be working in produce if youre in be sure to say hi. cheryl
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2011 :  5:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, did the Shop and Save turn into a Hannaford? (in Machias)?

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2011 :  9:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sheila,

Yes the Shop and Save is now a Hannaford in Machias. At 4 Corners there is a new Shop and Save however, and I believe one in Milbridge too.

Cheryl,

I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now so I didn't get to meet you. If you are up here again let me know. Best to email me. I tend to get lost in the forums. lol. Like tonight, I'm trhing to find the Traveling Doll 2 and can't remeber where it is!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2011 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I'm a born and bred downeaster. Born in Hancock, live in Centerville (near Col. Falls). Love horses (on my future plans to get one), gardening, scrapbooking. Not too good at sewing. We recently redid our bathroom. I repainted our old metal medicine cabinet and sanded and restained our vanity, wood walls. Stained and polyed trim. Glad to meet you. Are you the one with the real estate ads in the Ells. American??

Lorie
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  08:51:16 AM  Show Profile
just got myself a clamper to make straw wreaths...so excited to make some for gifts and sell. Does anyone have one and have any idea's on decorating them?

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  11:01:51 AM  Show Profile
Ginny, I have a packet for starting a Downeast Farm Girl group. I'm in Centerville, near Col. Falls. I work at DND in Machias. If you want to get an active group going, can I contact you?

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  11:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Maine Farmgirls, I would be interested in joining in the group, live in Stacyville, Maine. Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  7:08:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies Will a maine farmgirls chapter be starting this year??? let me know

http://plumkrazy.etsy.com
http://plumkrazyvintage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:09:23 PM  Show Profile
I would also be interested, Cheryl, we go to millinocket once and a while I live about 20 miles from there, between Sherman and Patten on rt 11.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile
I would be intereted as well in maine chapter farmgirl...also what do you do when your in?

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  03:17:17 AM  Show Profile
I have tried to contact Lorena by email about the packet she said she had but the email came back.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  03:20:59 AM  Show Profile
Lorena, I am going to try and send another email to you.
Jill Lillian
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  05:41:05 AM  Show Profile
Lorena, my email to you came back, do you have a new email address?
jill lillian
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  1:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Jill,

I apologize. I'm not good at reading email. I look at 2 sites, this and FB. I will look at my email and get back to you. Sorry.

Lorie

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  2:05:01 PM  Show Profile
I checked my gmail. There is nothing in it that is new. It is correct as posted in my profile. Just contact me through here, I guess. I'm not on here everyday as this pc is not at my home but at a different location. I will try to email you here shortly. Sorry.

Lorie

Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  04:36:51 AM  Show Profile
Lorie I emailed you
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2012 :  06:52:27 AM  Show Profile
Have any of the Maine Farmgirls been to the Amish Store in Symerna on rt 2? They have a lot of neat items, lots of bulk cooking and baking items.
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2012 :  10:27:42 AM  Show Profile
No I haven't I will have to check it
the store... What did you like about it?
Deb

Deb-farmgirl sister #462
Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2012 :  6:46:35 PM  Show Profile
hi Jill yes i have been there they have great spices.. when you are in millinocket when you go to hannaford please mention my name so we can meet.. any news yet on a maine farmgirl group?? that would be such fun..

Go to Top of Page

cheryl keyes
True Blue Farmgirl

468 Posts

cheryl
millinocket maine
USA
468 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2012 :  12:17:16 PM  Show Profile
hi maine farmgirls.. we were at wiggys trading post in houlton the other day and they told us they are having a trash and treasure sale.... it will be march 17 and 18 at the roller rama in houlton. my husband and i will be selling there.. if you would like to be a part of this the phone number to wiggys is 207-532-2189 it would be lots of fun to meet some of you maine farmgirls.. and get some great junk shopping in... hope to see you all there....

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2012 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi Maine Farmgirls,
After a few moths away, I have come back to the Farmgirl Connection. I remember a couple of you but am glad to read that there are more of us than I thought.
Anyone want to get together sometime?

Jill, I went to an Amish store just outside of Thorndike. Is that the store you mean? It was pleasant. It had a small but thoughtful selection of tools and other goods. We bought some preserves and granola. My husband was a little sad because they advertised fresh donuts but, alas, they only serve these on Wednesdays (and it was a Saturday).
It was nice. I'd go there again.

I'd love to hear from any of you Maine Farmgirls!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Maine Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page