kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  06:38:51 AM  Show Profile
Ok, there is a neighborhood cat that just LOVES to roam around and eat my flowers. The joke is that the previous owner in the house said that it is a neighborhood cat, but the two neighbors said that they thought it was the previous owners. Then we find out the folks behind us are feeding him. They claim it is a neighborhood cat too. I'm not a cat person by no means and now it loves to eat on my flowers as well as do its business in my rocks and in the middle of the yard.

Is there anything to put around the plants or a barrier to get the cat out of our yard and/or prevent it from eating my plants?? Many thanks in advance.

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Take a look at my country living photography & more at http://kydeere.etsy.com

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  09:05:04 AM  Show Profile
Jessica -- try putting peeled garlic cloves in the area where the cats are. I have one that likes to visit a couple of my raised beds and that helped.

"But as for me & my house we will serve the LORD!" Joshua 24:15

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  12:35:28 PM  Show Profile
My grandmother always recommended moth balls to ward off kitties in the garden. They don't like the smell.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on Jun 25 2006 3:06:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  1:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Rue will repel cats from flower & vegetable beds and the bonus is, it looks kind of nice as a contrast foliage.
Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh I may just try the garlic cloves and moth balls. I do have a question...what is Rue??? I must say I've never heard of it before. I had flowers around a tree and it has killed all of them because of it doing its business. There are patches in the yard and the cat is named Patches...coincidence?? This fall we are totally redoing the yard, resowing, etc. I would love to just call the Animal Humane Society and tell them to take the cat away, but they would put it to sleep and hubby doesn't agree to that. As you can tell, I'm just not a cat person and especially one that isn't mine.

I'll report later on the experiment of moth balls and garlic cloves. Thanks for your help!!!

Jessica~Miss Wilma's Niece
Take a look at my country living photography & more at http://kydeere.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  8:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Mothballs are highly toxic and I personally would rather put up with some cat damage than have napthalene soaking into my yard. I'd try the garlic before taking a measure that drastic.

Rue is a culinary herb with some interesting history attached to it. Ophelia gave some to the queen in Hamlet and also kept some for herself. In a traditional reading rue represents sadness but some more modern interpretations say it suggests that Ophelia was pregnant because it was believed to have contraceptive/abortive properties during the Renaissance. Sorry, just an interesting side note. I was helping a friend with ideas for a paper recently.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  8:49:23 PM  Show Profile
I agree totally with Laura about the mothballs...the naptha ones are VERY poisonous. Rue is a culinary and medicinal herb and works great.
Di
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  04:12:32 AM  Show Profile
A sprinkler hooked up to a motion detector works well.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  06:41:13 AM  Show Profile
We have cats taht we actualyl love. We just hi thtem with the hose on jet spray and they get right out and are learning to stay out.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

MichelleTN
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

Michelle
TN
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  7:33:41 PM  Show Profile
The deer are eating all the buds on my daylilies, the ones close to the front of my big bed...they are just nipped at the stem. Urghh. We are going to set a motion camera the one deer hunters use this week to see exactly how many are visiting.

Michelle

My Blog: http://tangledthreadsandknottedyarn.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  3:00:49 PM  Show Profile
We have cats in my neighbourhood, but all they do is dig around and muss up my cedar woodchips. I'll try garlic, thanks girls!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Animals Getting into Flowers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page