textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  12:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi All! Finished Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 (I know what you mean about not being able to put it down), but I'm just getting to comment today. I love the opening quote by Ellen Goodman about how we live today, and the history that tracks how we have moved away from being home-based. I have always loved being home, working around the house and yard and doing "old fashioned" things like sewing, gardening, baking, cooking, reading, etc. I do a lot of community service and used to do many "field trips" with my children when they were younger. Unlike the average American (or even some of my grown children, I'm sorry to say), I do not believe Corporate America has our best interests at heart. This book--and MJF--confirms that! What I found very interesting was the whole "home economics" thing. Now they call it Family and Consumer (there it is again) Science. In fact, our school district eliminated any type of home ec in the high school and now offers a half semester in the middle school. Most kids don't know how to cook, bake, sew, care for children--but they know how to prepare for the SAT!I also loved the section on prepared foods. I grew up in a home in which most food was made from scratch. My sister and I used to love to go to our friend's house after school because both parents worked and she had prepared foods in her freezer! I won't comment yet on Chapter 4. I'll wait until others have read it. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  6:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I teach what used to be called Homemaking,then Home Economics, then Family and Consumer Science and now, in Texas, it has changed to Career and Technology. What a shame; it is all about going to college and getting a career. When I tell people I am a Home Ec. teacher they all think I am an expert in anything pertaining to cooking, sewing or the home. I have always felt ladies who have been doing all the domestic activities for years are the experts. A few years of book learning and a few labs doesn't make an expert. Why would a college graduate be better qualified than someone with years of experience. Our thinking has become so twisted and muttled.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  05:48:02 AM  Show Profile
I actually never had to take Home Ec in school, and honestly, I was one of those girls raised to think that it wasn't important. But oh how wrong that is! I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn those skills when I was younger instead of having to teach them to myself when I was grown. I wish people would start to realize that there's nothing wrong with knowing how to sew, bake, etc. Those are life skills that everyone should have. Unfortunately, there's a whole generation of people my age who were taught that "education" was much more important than knowing how to manage a home (as if that's not also learning!). I am certainly trying to learn all of these skills myself now, but it would've made a difference to have been taught.

On a different note, I've also got my husband reading this book too. :) I know in some ways it's geared towards women, but I think it really applies to anyone. He's already on board with this lifestyle, and he's a better seamstress (heehee)than I am. But I know he's really gonna enjoy it and I hope it spurs some good conversations around my house too!

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  04:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone read Chapter 4 yet? Dianne

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

the butchers wife
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kelly
Mo
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I wrote a long post on chapter 3 last night and for some reason it's not here. So, let's see if I can remember. I thought chapter 3 was really interesting because it told the history of the homemaker. The part I found the most interesting was the homemakers role during the American Revolution. When the housewives boycotted all products from the UK to help stimulate their local economy. Sounds familiar doesn't it. The majority of the country is in a panic over the economy right now. Maybe we should take some cues from our foremothers, to help stimulate our economy. Because is there really anything that we need that we can't get locally? Should we as housewives start a silent revolution to help stimulate our economy? I know that I see lots of "buy local" advertising, but I don't think people really comprehend all that it entails, and the impact it can really have on our community. Add "buying locally" to my list of aspirations.
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  2:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, You are definitely on the right track. There's a post on the Reading Room Forum about big book stores and the same thing is discussed there. We need to support the small business owner over Corporate America whenever possible. We need to rely on ourselves more. Not everyone is going to grow all their own food, or stitch their own clothing, but other local people do. I see the tides turning (a revolution of sorts) and I am glad to help make it happen. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  07:11:13 AM  Show Profile
I don't yet have the book, but have been wanting it before it was even released. Can't wait to find it secondhand!

Yes, as a child of the late 70s, it was all about going to college (the most expensive ones) and getting a 'good job'. Guess what? I never finished college, and I absolutely LOVE staying home. LOVE IT. I also realize how blessed I am that I do not need an exterior job, so I am not downing those women who do. I have been there...I worked fulltime for several years with my first daughter because we were BROKE.

What we need to rediscover is what needs and wants are and define them. I don't NEED to take my kids to Disney World to be a good parent. I don't NEED to drive a $50,000 car.

It's a crazy world we're in. Homemakers should be cherished and not condemned. I am the CEO of my home.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  05:18:50 AM  Show Profile
I was reading this book also and i like Dianne's comments about self sufficiency. It is scary how many people especially young people cannot do anything for themselves, even basic things let alone make soap or sew their own clothes and such. I think it would be a healthier, calmer way of life and probably elimanate a lot of medical problems as well. all these poor little kids rushing around to everything and eating crap with chemicals and they all have asthma, allergies and ADD
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:25:58 PM  Show Profile
I need to read this book.

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  03:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone still reading? I finished the first half, but I'm waiting for others to read the rest. Greenwoman, are you still with us? Dianne

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  08:45:50 AM  Show Profile
I am still here, but have lost track of where we are in the book.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile

I found this page and wondered if any of these links may be helpful to you. My 9yo is a diabetic ,too.So, we know it is expensive.HTH!

http://www.freediabetestestsupplies.com/free-diabetes-test-supplies-assistance/

quote:
Originally posted by Catherine L

I would quit my job right now if it wasn't for health insurance. My husband if diabetic and his supplies are so expensive. He is self-employed so doesn't have insurance through his job. I am going to do some research about the insurance possibilities, because I sure do want to be home taking care of as much as I can. In the mean time I will be doing what I can and sharpening my skills.
In the book some of the people had a very low view of the importance of home and taking care of things there. I think if we look at our society and consider where we have come to, since a large number of women left the home, we would see how our families and children have suffered.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428

~Tina

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  12:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Tina, I will check it out.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  06:26:01 AM  Show Profile
I have a copy of this book. Who wants it. If you'll pay postage ( about 3.00 book rate) I'll send it along. Read it when it first ccame out and I loved it.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofsprintime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  2:44:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by textilelover

Is anyone still reading? I finished the first half, but I'm waiting for others to read the rest. Greenwoman, are you still with us? Dianne

Sister #749

I'm still waiting on a copy from our library.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  04:17:52 AM  Show Profile
Guess what arrived at the library? And I don't even think I will have time to read it either.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Radical Homemakers Reading Group Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page