Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  09:26:32 AM  Show Profile
Hello! We are all reading the book Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture by Shannon Hayes. The plan is to discuss one chapter per week, starting today, February 21.

Of course this week we're including the preface with Chapter 1, because the preface is short but thought provoking (in my opinion).

So, I've never done an on line reading group before, but I guess we begin with thoughts on the chapter, and any bits that really stood out for us? I'll post some of my thoughts in later posts, but I wanted to open up the floor so we can get started.

So, Preface and Chapter 1--what did y'all think?

Michelle
http://greenwoman.wordpress.com

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  09:56:33 AM  Show Profile
I love your idea, but don't have the book. I still have one on request at the library.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  09:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Well Kristina, when you DO get it maybe you'll be able to jump in! Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  05:25:36 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking it won't be for months. That's okay too.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  11:51:36 AM  Show Profile
I am amazed at how manipulated we are as a country. This chapter was a real eye opener for me. Though we don't live extravagantly I can see how we have fallen into the trap of consumerism. After marrying, thirty years ago. I decided to not work outside the home. I homeschooled our daughter, made most of our clothes, canned, cooked our meals, worked hard at being thrifty. Once our daughter was finished with school, I went back to work. Lately, I have been asking my husband if this is all I can expect for the rest of my life, getting up, going to work and never getting everything done that needs doing. I am now setting financial goals, so I can quit this job and begin doing the things that I enjoyed doing all those years. I am going to begin with a list of all we spend our money on and how we can provide these for ourselves.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  12:15:48 PM  Show Profile
I picked up the book at the libraby today. I was first in line for interlibrary loan. I won't get at it until tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  4:26:15 PM  Show Profile
While I'm not 100% sure all of the older history stuff is really accurate, I do feel that the information on the way corporations have manipulated the American family makes a lot of sense.

Cathy, I'm on the opposite end of it from you--I quit my job three years ago, due to suffering a LOT of health problems created by extreme stress, and because it was an hour and 10 minutes commute one way, and it was really an abusive work relationship. This quote in the book really jumped out at me:

"... corporate America treats most women poorly. Many are overworked, time-starved, and face unrelenting accountability. At the same time, employees live in fear that they will lose their jobs. If we had a boyfriend or spouse who treated us this badly, most of us with healthy self-esteem would peg him as an abuser and dump him. Yet our culture compels us to behave like codependents in a dysfunctional relationship with the corporate economy."

My job was soooo like that, when I left I wasn't thinking about home making as a path--I was just thinking, I need to get out.

But over time, when I couldn't find a job close to home that would work for me, we agreed that we were doing better without me working. And out of that, having more time to consider the life I really wanted to lead, we've become "Radical Homemakers" without really knowing that's what we were. Apparently we are part of a movement! Who knew?

I do a LOT of work. I am the primary gardener, I do all the cooking, and I run an Etsy shop, do energy healing work, and I'm writing a novel. But I often struggle with the feeling that I'm not doing "real work" because I don't bring in a lot of money to the household--some, but not a lot. I know, intellectually speaking, that I make important contributions, that my work is very valuable. But that old programming of it's not valid if it doesn't bring in a steady paycheck is really hard to shake. And the reason our culture doesn't see it as valuable is that it doesn't make a good consumer. It's so odd, when you think about it . . . because this world of buying everything you need is SO YOUNG, and yet it has taken such a strong hold on our psyches that we have a hard time walking away from it.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  7:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to jump in late this week, but we are in FL (we're from NY) visiting family. I read the preface but not Chapter 1, so I'll comment on what I've read so far. A bit of history...I was home with my children for 13 years (I have four who now range in age from 24 to 12) and those were some of the happiest years of my life. I did a lot at home (though I had friends who would ask "why do you make your own jam when you can buy it in the store?") and was able to do volunteer work with my children at my side (some people commented that I could be earning money for all the "free work" I did). One volunteer job led to a very enjoyable part time job, though I finally left it after 5 years. My current position is a dream job--I work part time for the Education Department of a small local college. I make my own hours and work with women who have young children (including my boss who is 10 year my junior), so we are all in the same place as "working women". I am so torn! I love my job, but I would love to be home doing more from scratch. So...when I started reading the book, I thought "I should be home all the time!" But, it is hard to give up a paid job that is rewarding in more ways than just financially. But, if we try to "have it/do it all", then aren't we falling into the old feminist trap? I am fascinated by the concept of "Radical Homemakers", but do I have to do it all myself (ie, become totally self-sufficient) or is it enough to be aware of the pressure of living in a consumerist society and not to yield to it? I am trying, though it is not easy. I'm anxious to read Chapter 1. I apologize for going on so long this time, but I felt it was important to define where I was coming from. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  7:45:57 PM  Show Profile
I would quit my job right now if it wasn't for health insurance. My husband if diabetic and his supplies are so expensive. He is self-employed so doesn't have insurance through his job. I am going to do some research about the insurance possibilities, because I sure do want to be home taking care of as much as I can. In the mean time I will be doing what I can and sharpening my skills.
In the book some of the people had a very low view of the importance of home and taking care of things there. I think if we look at our society and consider where we have come to, since a large number of women left the home, we would see how our families and children have suffered.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  10:57:02 AM  Show Profile
I am in a little bit of a unique situation, I guess. I'm the one who goes to work in my family and my husband is a stay-at-home dad to our three year old son. I am a nurse and am able to only work three days a week, while he would have to work twice that and longer hours to equal my pay. So, we made the decision when we got married that we would do whatever was necessary to keep our child at home with us and not put him in daycare. We are figuring our ways to make our homestead more self-sufficient. We are trying to provide most of our own food. I think we're pretty lucky to be able to not have to leave home to work more than we do. I would love to be a stay-at-home mom and wife though, and although right now it's not possible, I've always thought that was the most important job.

I've really liked how this book has framed the subject in feminist terms. I remember getting the message often as a young child that I should further my education to make sure I was able to get a "good job". And I certainly consider myself a feminist. However, there are so many things in life that are more important than making lots of money and being chained to a job 24/7. I'm glad that's something I've never fallen for! :) Being in healthcare, I'm really interested to see how she addresses medical care and the healthcare system later. Like Cathy above, I'm kind of hesitant to give up my health insurance. I can't wait for that part of the discussion!

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  05:10:28 AM  Show Profile
I started this book with many preconceived notions, one of which was the woman should stay home and you should only stay home if you had children. I found it very interesting that some of the couples in the book chose not to have children (or didn't have them yet) and did not work outside of their home. Also, after reading Lindsay's post, I realize I didn't think about all the couples who choose to have the male partner stay home. And, very interestingly, many women I know who were home with their children when the kids were little have gone back to work to pay for their children's college tuition, thus perpetuating the "get a degree to work for a corporation" mentality in our country. I love the book's four tenants to live by and will keep those in mind when doing what we do. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  06:17:32 AM  Show Profile
A couple of you mentioned having jobs you love and feeling torn about whether or not you should stay in them, etc.

The author of the book's opinion aside, I am of the opinion that if you have work you find fulfilling, that you don't want to leave, then why SHOULD you leave that work? Especially if that work contributes to the health and well being of others, like nursing or helping mothers? Working outside the home isn't always a bad thing, in my opinion. I found the experience miserable, personally, but I'm a very non-linear, creative person, and I'm also what you would call a "highly sensitive person"--bright lights, loud noises, crowd, too many electrical currents, fast motion, all of those things overstimulate me very, very quickly and I have trouble functioning when I'm around them. I am best at home, writing or creating or gardening.

But not everyone's temperament is suited to the stay at home lifestyle. Some people NEED that very social, very stimulating kind of environment. I would think that those people would not be doing themselves a favor by trying to take up homemaking full time. Instead, it seems to me that they would be best served finding work outside the home that is fulfilling and that contributes to the four tenets of ecological sustainability, social justice, family and community.

What really matters is that the work you do is fulfilling for YOU, and is in line with your own personal values. Sometimes circumstances require working outside the home. When they do, you do it the best you can.

By now y'all have probably figured out that I tend to blather on and on. I'm afraid it's not likely to change any time soon . . . Eeep!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile
I am still with you guys - I haven't got my book yet and we are out of town for a week, but will catch up. I love the premise of this book and look forward to discussing with y'all!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

the butchers wife
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kelly
Mo
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  6:29:21 PM  Show Profile
It's been a crazy week so I'm running a little behind on my reading, but I'm almost done. The main thing that resonated with me was the idea of the "Feminine Mystique." Which I interepreted as the unfulfillment of the modern day housewife and/or the working girl. I suffer from this very problem, always searching for something with meaning and significance. And my natural instict, my natural yearning to fill this void is to be more self sufficient. Some of my best days are hard, sweaty, dirty days in the garden, or slavin' over a hot stove canning. And I see this in my friends, the unfulfillment. I see them filling the void with material things, electronics, and even food and alcohol. I wonder if they are also yearning for self-sufficiency... are they even aware, do they even care?

Consumerism... my parents grew up in poverty and my father's goal was to provide for us kids everything he did not have. And I am thankful for this, but it taught me some bad habits. My mom was a stay at home mom who shopped all the time. We never went camping because we didn't have to. If you're having a bad day you go shopping or out to dinner. Thankfully, I've learned at a young age that this does not fill the void. So my husband and I have made a concious effort to simplify, simplify, simplify. But, I do think, as a country, it's gross that we are led to believe that money is the end all, be all.

Lastly, one thing I'm glad they defined were the four tenets of what she called the Earth Community. If you forgot, they were family, community, social justice, and ecological balance. Which as farm girls we are working towards, but I'm not 100% sure what she means by social justice. If anyone has any ideas on what she means by social justice, let me know.

Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  6:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, "social justice" can be defined as "Social justice is the application of the concept of justice on a social scale." OR "The fair distribution of advantages, assets, and benefits among all members of a society." (both definitions taken from

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Social justice&sa=X&ei=CwlrTcjNN5KksQOQ2pytBQ&ved=0CBcQkAE

The way I understand it, social justice is about making sure everyone has what they need, and trying to be sure that those who are at a disadvantage (either physically, mentally, economically, etc.) aren't exploited or victimized.

As far as that longing for fulfillment thing . . . I imagine it's different for everyone. I find it in writing stories, gardening, and making things with my hands. I also find it in tasks that I don't necessarily enjoy WHILE I'm doing them, but that give me tangible rewards--drying, canning, fermenting foods, pulling weeds, picking berries. I suppose some people would find my simple life unbearably tedious, but I find it satisfying, grounding and centering. I DO think that there would be much more satisfaction in the world if people knew how to do more things for themselves--if they could see the direct results of their work. The worst part of working in an office, for me, was that I spent all day doing tasks that I couldn't see any outcome to. It was all abstract, feeding information to a computer, and when I was done there was more to do and there was nothing to show for my hours of work. Combine that with unhappy working conditions and . . . meh!!!! I'd rather wash my dishes, and that's saying something.

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

the butchers wife
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kelly
Mo
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  7:48:17 PM  Show Profile
Ok so I was on the right track with social justice definition, thanks for confirming. I, too, find happiness and fulfillment when working with my hands. I'm an art teacher so it does come naturally. But, I know part of my problem is that I can talk the self sufficient talk, but I don't walk the walk. My plan is to slowly start adding new rewarding activities.
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  3:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone read Chapter 2? I am telling everyone about this book and quoting it to anyone who will listen! There are so many disturbing facts here: How Americans are brainwashed into thinking we should not disturb the economic status quo UNLESS we "shop til we drop" even after a life altering event such as 9/11 (my family lived it and I was appalled George W. even suggested it!). That the economy comes before workers' rights, the environment, anything else. That a company such as "Licensed to Kill" could even be formed. That Walmart has sales of $45 million dollars an HOUR. Well, you've read it so you know. We live in an extractive economy but we can change it to a life serving economy if we support the four tenets stated in the book. I feel making these changes in my life need to come slowly but surely. I have already started keeping chickens, gardening and shopping at farm markets, keeping honeybees, sewing some of my own clothes, and now I will start to bake my own bread. Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  08:22:07 AM  Show Profile
I am also quoting the book to anyone who will listen. I like the quote at the beginning of the chapter, "A thatched roof once covered free man; under marble and gold dwells slavery."

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

the butchers wife
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Kelly
Mo
27 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  4:26:09 PM  Show Profile
I have read chapter 2 and am having a hard time putting the book down. This book is so thought provoking and has sparked many discussions between me and the dh. I, too, found a lot of the info in chapter 2 disturbing. The one thing that I can relate to is the fact that the local community has died due to the "extractive economy." I know in my small town there are very few locally owned businesses that are successful because they can't compete with the Wal - Mart's of the world. The book has really made me start questioning a lot of things I do on a daily basis. Like, I went to the store to buy bread and veggies. Mediocre quality food that I could have easily created for myself, virtually for free. And doesn't fresh bread taste better. Does anyone make their own bread on a regular basis?
Dianne - I just noticed you are considering this as well. Do you have a plan on what kind and how often you'll make bread?
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  06:58:14 AM  Show Profile
I am questioning a lot of the things I do as well. I find myself considering everything I buy now and realize how much I just spend without thinking. I have alway thought of myself as being frugal, but realize I can do so much more. We live in an area where Walmart is about our only choice for many items. I have noticed the vegetable section in our small town grocery is getting smaller and smaller. People must not eat much fresh produce. I am working on getting a little garden going in my backyard. I have a bread machine and have been thinking of getting it out and using it. With it just being my husband and myself I probably wouldn't have to make it but once or twice a week. I will have to take this one step at a time because I could get overwelmed with all that I would like to do. Cathy

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  08:40:44 AM  Show Profile
I have read Chapter Two already and I have read a little past that. Just couldn't stop! :) It's so obvious the kind of society we live in when it's presented so plainly. And it's kind of shocking to see how history has perpetuated this over and over. I always feel good when we can provide our own food and I really like to support local businesses when we need to buy things, but it's increasingly hard for those businesses to stay open. I'm really enjoying this book and wish I could just hand out a copy to everyone, everywhere. haha

I'm interested to know if any of you have as much "community support" as the Radical Homemakers in the book. It seems that they all know tons of people to barter with and such. In my own community there may be some of this going on, but it's very little. We know a few other local couples who raise animals, garden, etc. But they are few and far between. Do you guys find this to also be the case?

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  03:56:27 AM  Show Profile
I haven't read Chapter 3 yet (I'll try to tonight), but I, too, don't have an extensive support system to barter with. Some friends garden, or sew, or raise livestock, but my husband and I seem to be ahead of the curve, as we garden, raise honeybees, have laying hens, sew, knit, etc. It's quite discouraging, but I feel it's a result of our consumer culture. People are brainwashed into thinking they must rely on Walmart to survive! They do not have faith in themselves to even prepare their own meals. I have said before that I often get the comment "Why would you (make jam, keep bees, have hens, garden) when you can buy it in the store?" They just don't get it! Dianne in the Hudson Valley

Sister #749

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  05:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, I just found these posts and have been enjoying all you are sharing! I do not have the book, but I will look for it! Sounds similar to something I read many years ago and enjoyed. With finances, health issues, and the economy, I am having to let go of a house and land that I loved, even tho it became a falling apart money pit.. I now am in a different state, in an apt. It was an adjustment. But the farmgirl heart has kicked in for sure. Definately simplifying, the balcony allows for a small container garden, and I am doing a bit of sewing, canning, etc. It sounds like the book is all about that and I look forward to finding it. What I am learning is that, no matter where we live, what our station is in life, whether working inside or outside the home? The farmgirl spirit can prevail, and city or country, we can let go of some of the corporate, excessessive consumerism. Its all about that farmgirl heart of making life better that we share! Thankfully, we can do that everday, anywhere! Blessings, linda www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Linda, you should definitely get the book and read with us! I only hope that I can learn to be as self-sufficient as some of these folks in the book. It's inspiring, to say the least. It has also made me feel even better about the choices my husband and I have made in our life together.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

Greenwoman
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Michelle
Oregon
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  07:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Y'all, I'm so sorry to have disappeared for a week. My computer completely died last week! BUT, thanks to our tax return I was able to get a new one. I realized that this is probably the first new thing I've purchased (aside from groceries) in over a year, and is the biggest new purchase I've made in about 8 years! I am behind on chapters, too, though I read the book once before I need to refresh my memory. I'm going to catch up on everyone's posts this week and get back in to participating in the conversation! I missed reading last week, it was a bummer!!!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:46:33 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone read chapter 3 yet?

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Radical Homemakers Reading Group Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page