herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  1:57:01 PM  Show Profile
See my blog for a article on further information regarding this. Better to be informed

Yesterday I purchased butter for $2.78, but 4 weeks ago I bought it for $1.98. Price increasing that much.

Today I am cooking a turkey for Tortilla Soup, canning 7 quarts black beans. Tomorrow I'll be canning 14 quarts of Tortilla Soup

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Kristine, I have been following the UN statements and the prices of goods for awhile. I am especially vulnerable to the cotton prices and so have tried to plan ahead. I have also been doing a series on dehydrating on my blog, if you are interested, as well as canning cheeses and that kind of thing. Would sure love your input! Thanks for the info on your site.
MB

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  2:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth,

I didn't even mention cotton, but you are so right. I'm trying to stock up on sheets, jeans, socks, and those kinds of things.
I'll check out your blog. Sounds like we're on the same wave-length.

Blessings,

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  5:19:26 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth,
WOW what a fabulous website you have! What a talented woman you are.
I'll keep checking back on your blog.

Blessings,

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  6:13:52 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Kristine! How kind you are. I have fun with it. Writing the blog has been a whole new game for me since I knew nothing about HTML or picture hosting sites or ANYTHING. I guess old dogs CAN learn new tricks!! Send me any of your ideas. I'm open to anything.
MB

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile
I have gone to thrift stores for yrs. I have seen that they also are going up on there prices. I have about 4 totes of cloth my husband wants me to get ride of...I say NO..I might need to make my own cloths some day....I should be doing this now but I dont have the time. I work full time and am exausted when I come home. If things get worse I do have material to use for things I need.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  08:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Our family is doing everything we can to put food up ourselves. Handmade, homemade, canned, frozen etc. I am baking up several pounds of dry beans to freeze. I am making all of our blanket by crochet patterns, and hope to increase my knowledge of other skills and crafts. I'm taking a hearthside cooking class soon also. We raise hens for eggs, and plan to add goats this spring (milk, cheese, yogurt etc.).

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  12:43:41 PM  Show Profile
Well we are trying to buy up items and put away things too... I would recommend the web site Survival Mom. She has great tips on prepping. Every extra penny we save in one area is being used to purchase extra food, seeds & cotton items. I think we are heading towards some very rough times with the high cost of food & gas. For the first time in my life I see myself as a "prepper".

Another idea is to make your own "fast foods". I am doing "Dinner in a Jar" recipes so on super busy days I just pull out the mason jar mix and have a fast dinner.

Is anyone buying in bulk on line. If so I would love to know which sites offer the best deals!

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  2:04:48 PM  Show Profile
Tammy,
I've been doing dinner in a jar too, but I'm pressure canning them. On sat. I pressure canned 21 qts. Tortilla Soup, friday qts. of Black Beans, tomorrow Black Bean Chili. Now the canning shelves have qts. of open, heat and eat main dishes. My husband was so excited that I am filling some of the empty jars. He really likes the Round Steak with garlic, onions & peppers. Great for instant burritos.

I buy in bulk from Azure Farm and BulkFoods.com. They both have some good deals depending on what you want.

Prepping Onward!

Blessings,

Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  7:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Kristine,

I have versions of the same recipes you have been canning. Although mine aren't canning specific. How many lbs pressure and for how long?

"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  9:04:22 PM  Show Profile
I can everything with meat 10# pressure for 90 minutes that way I know it's safe.

Blessings,

Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:04:37 PM  Show Profile
I vote we all stock up on wheat flour now - with the Russian droughts and wildfires last year and a very wet Canadian spring last year, wheat prices are going up.

I also got a water bath canner for my birthday (it's huge! Hurray!) so I can't wait until local farm markets start producing.

As for thrift store prices? Goodwills are often the worst. The one near me looks up prices of stuff. Still cheaper than buying stuff online, but more expensive than the stores I'm used to back home. :(

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  3:53:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking at wheat berries, oat groats and other grains, including corn because they store forever and I can grind them as I need them. Ground flours must be kept in the frig to stay fresh as they get stale pretty fast at room temps. Bugs are also a problem with ground flours. We have a grinder that is electric, but can attach a handle and it turns into a hand grinder if the electricity goes out.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile
I buy Wheat and sugar every time I go to the grocery. My husband asks all the time if I am going to open up a bakery..I would like to find a lid that makes 5 gallon buckets air tight. If anyone knows a website I can order something like that, that would be great
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  6:15:57 PM  Show Profile
Deborah, at PleasantHillGrain.com they have what are called Gamma Lids that are wonderful. They fit onto your buckets (and I suggest putting silicate packs into the buckets too) and then the center actually unscrews when you want to open it. No having to pry the lid up. When you say 'wheat' do you mean wheat berries or ground wheat? The ground whole wheat won't last very long in the buckets. It gets stale pretty quickly. Keeping it in the freezer is the better route for already ground flours.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  06:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth,
I have seen them...And I always put my flour in the freezer for a week before putting it in a container in the pantry. I was hoping I could find something that could keep flour for a longer period of time. But for now I think I am going to order the gamma lids. Do you know if you can just use the buckets you get from Home-Depot? They are pretty inexpensive.
Thanks
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Deborah, I have a gamma lid on a bucket that I think we did get from Home Depot. I have the rest on the 45 lb buckets that the wheat comes in. Be sure to find some of those packs to put in too. I think they are called "oxygen removers".

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and by the way. If anyone is interested, I have a new post up at the blog about how I can butter and keep it on the pantry shelf! :-)
MB

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  7:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I ordered 2 lids and 2 buckets this morning...My Dh is going to think I am crazy. But I cant help it. I also am going to order reusable caanning lids and seals. I think I will get those next pay period. Gotta save some money for GASOLINE...since it is going up daily.
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  8:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Deborah! Good for you. I have been reading about the reusable canning lids and they sound really interesting. I think I'll check those out too. Gasoline? I think I'm going to air up the tires on my 1954 Schwinn Wasp and ride the 20 miles to town! I'm also thinking horse and buggy??

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  6:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, If it keeps going the way it is going we might be doing the horse and buggy thing. And my husband and I have nice bike...not sure if I want to ride it 35 miles to work. But my hubby could since he only goes 12 miles to work...
Deborah

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  12:13:41 AM  Show Profile
I buy wheat, other grains, beans, etc. from Azure Standard. Wonderful company to work with.
http://www.azurestandard.com/

Blessings,

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  07:28:27 AM  Show Profile
Kristine, I'm getting ready to order from them for the first time. I was so excited to see all of the stuff they have!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  07:56:36 AM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
I went to Wendy's yesterday and saw my first food shortage sign here in Michigan. It said something about not carrying tomatoes because of the shortage and prices. I then asked my manager about it. ( I work in a restaurant as a waitress) And she said we are not carrying them anymore once we run out either. (I work at Dennys) So, that was kinda a shocker. I think, I may plant my first garden this year as a result. I'm not spending loads of money on veggies, if I can grow my own for cheaper. lol. Especially with gas prices going up too.

Joanna

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  2:49:12 PM  Show Profile
I see this as a sign of the times and feel it is very important to stock up and take care of your family. I look at the people around me and hear them say they can't survive with out fast food, they will just pay the extra prices. So sad. We have to take care of our own.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting them in a fruit salad!
Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  5:41:42 PM  Show Profile
I was at Wendy's the other day and they charged me 50 cents for a slice of tomato. My neighbor's son is in the Marines and has told his dad (neighbor) that he needed to get another gun and extra ammo...Also to get a tiller for his tractor and to get his pond cleaned up and put a pump on it....I am wondering what he knows?
Deborah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Food Shortages & Prices Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page