Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Easy snack ideas for La Leche League Meetings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Easy snack ideas for La Leche League Meetings Next Topic  

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls, I have a 4 year old, a 1 year old preemie and am pregnant again. Along with going through a financial slump.

I know the simple answers are fresh fruit, and veggies, which is easy enough. But, once in a while I would like to take a healthy, yet tasty, easy to make and inexpensive baked good. Yeah, asking a lot. But, healthy is really important to nursing and pregnant mothers, and tasty well who likes to eat anything not tasty!? lol And well inexpensive and easy are just a given right now! haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  1:30:48 PM  Show Profile
Just plain, old homemade whole wheat bread is a real treat especially for those who don't make it often. Served with a nut butter or jam would be healthy and delicious!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  10:43:30 PM  Show Profile
mmm sounds good! Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of that!

Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  07:29:21 AM  Show Profile
What about a healthy mini-muffin? Something with berries would be good for Spring. This isn't a baked good but you could make yogurt parfaits. For my kid's birthday snacks at school I used to use clear plastic cups and layer vanilla yogurt with frozen berries and top with homemade granola. The Barefoot Contessa has a really good yogurt parfait recipe that my sister-in-law serves.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  10:34:06 AM  Show Profile
I love yogurt parfaits! Thanks for the idea!

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  7:18:52 PM  Show Profile
You could always make your own baked chips from tortillas and almost anything is good for a dip. You can make your own salsa, blend sour cream with onion soup mix, or go sweeter and blend sour cream with jello mix for a sweeter fruity dip. I have even pureed beans and added garlic and onion powder for a non-spicy bean dip.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  11:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I had planned on for sure taking hummus and chips (and of course veggies too) for one of the meetings.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  11:27:41 PM  Show Profile
oh and ps I've just been so nauseated and tired from being pregnant and nursing right now at the same time. I really liked your idea of fresh bread Kim. So I kept trying to think of how I could do that, and if I had a really good recipe for said bread. And then today on the way home we passed Great Harvest Bread company. They are a bit on the expensive side, but no more expensive then say buying fresh fruit, and other snacks, and probably with all the healthy things they add in (and yes their bread is 100 percent whole wheat and baked fresh daily too) like pumpkin seeds, currents etc, would probably add up really to about the same for me to make counting I have to buy all the ingredients retail. And theirs is super delicious! I mean mmmm. So I decided I will for sure buy a loaf this week for the group. Good thing I doubled checked their website so I could make sure when my favorite flavor is made. It's on Tuesday, and my meeting is on Thursday. However, I've often had the bread more then 1 or 2 days old from there (I mean we can't eat a whole loaf in a day! by ourselves! lol) And it's always good even a few days later. So I will buy it on Tuesday for sure! I wish they made my favorite daily though like they do some of the other flavors! But, my favorite has a LOT of nuts and seeds added. So far not any of the adults there are allergic to nuts, some of the babies don't do well with mommy eating nuts, but those mom's are pretty limited to almost nothing to eat at this point. So...not that I don't want to accommodated them as well, but right now most of them don't even know what to eat, let alone to tell us what to bring them to eat, cause they are still guessing and alliminating themselves. I noticed others are still bringing baked good with nuts and it's all eaten up, so I'm not going to worry about the nuts/seeds unless some one says something to the contrary. So far so good though. And I love nuts/seeds and this bread!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Easy snack ideas for La Leche League Meetings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page