Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  4:21:09 PM  Show Profile
My Mother age 94 gave me a couple of her older cookbooks. Older--yes.
I remember lokking at the pictures in the smaller book. Loved looking and of course she was a great baker.
The little one is called:
Any One Can Bake (for the young housewife). She got that from her Mother when she married in 1934.
The larger is The Better Homes and Garden Cookbook she got in 1936. The are well used and full of clipped recipes and hand written recipes.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  5:51:45 PM  Show Profile
What wonderful treasures Mary Beth!

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  04:33:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
So nice. Finding an old cookbook, especially one with written notes and recipes tucked inside always makes me feel connected to the woman who used it before me.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful! I love those old cookbooks--especially, "Anyone can Bake a Cake"...what a great title!

I've been looking through the Ladies' Society Methodist Church of Columbus (Ohio) "Collection of Receipts" that belonged to my Great Aunt. Her mother, Roma, made some contributions, and it was published in 1922. Funnily, the advertisers who bought space to publish the cookbook all cater to women, but as if they were frail, mindless creatures. The bank advertisements are the best--"To all the ladies of the household: we offer quiet consultation in an established environment for your comfort in taking care of unfamiliar household business while the man of the house is away at work. We know you'll need our assistance and we offer it with great aplomb..." WHAT???

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow I would cherish those cookbooks. I found an old cookbook at a garage sale years ago and I love it. What a treasure!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Read2me
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jennifer
Cato Wisconsin
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:22:29 AM  Show Profile
I agree. Cookbooks are such a connection to the women of the past. I have told my mother for years that I want her cookbooks. She is 87 and is thrilled that I want them someday. I have such good memories growing up using her cookbooks. The most treasured ones are her own handwritten recipes collected in a binder. My own daughters, age 17 and 23, have also espressed an interest in my cookbooks someday! I guess they feel the same connection.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:23:20 AM  Show Profile
What a nice thing to have MB. I have a couple of my Grandma's cookbooks and she has things written in the margins and other jots here and there. They are more fun to read then the receipes themselves. How is your Mom?
NancyJo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:25:28 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, my Mother also has two full binders of recipes she has collected and/or handwritten with dates and who or where she got them. She's not ready to give them up---yet. LOL
MB

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:26:40 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy, Mother is fine. Still has her place up for sale so she can move closer. MB

Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I love old cookbooks. They tell you the "real" way to do things. I love recipes with lard and tons of eggs and sugar. I've gotten my best cooking tips and recipes from them.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  08:00:38 AM  Show Profile
That's awesome Marybeth - my favorite cookbooks are the ones I have inherited from my grandmothers. I also got a notebook from each of them that had newspaper clipping recipes they had collected. I love the link to the past and also to my family heritage.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  8:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have one cookbook that my mom had, it's a community one from sometime in the 80s, so it's not old. But her handwritten notes and recipes . . and "fingerprints" are in it!
I also have her recipe box with all of her handwritten recipes, some of which are quite old . . . and have her "fingerprints" on them as well.
She was an EXCELLENT cook, has been gone 17 years . . . and I treasure her recipes and her "fingerprints"!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  8:38:34 PM  Show Profile
I love old cookbooks too. They are such treasures from the past...

"It's not what I do, but how I do it!"~Mae West~
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  07:14:34 AM  Show Profile
While going through my mom's things this past year(she passed unexpectedly), I have found a cookbook of her's that was my favorite as a child. The page with the oatmeal- chocolate candy page has all the spills and splatters. It warms my heart of all the great memories!
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  6:14:20 PM  Show Profile
I love old cookbooks too. I have a difficult time paying $35 for a new one and then the recipes are basically opening miscellaneous cans and combining. Sweet, sweet old cookbooks.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  10:00:12 PM  Show Profile
when I married my 1st husband at the age of 18, my then Mother in law gave me her cookbook that she got when she first got married (around 1956)...well I still depend on this cookbook for a lot of things 34 years later...the poor thing is losing its binding but I won't trade it for anything...if my 33 yr old son ever marries I would love to past it on to his new wife.....if not it will be pasted on to my best friends grand daughter who is my 'adopted' grand daug......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mother's cookbooks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page