Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members
 Ideas for two new Merit Badges
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Ideas for two new Merit Badges Next Topic  

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  9:36:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I would LOVE to see merit badges the farmgirls can work toward in ART and in WRITING.

ARTIST BADGE:

For a Beginner Art badge you could expect, for instance, a pencil drawing, colored pencil drawing, or design a simple collage.

Intermediate: Learn how to paint with watercolors and acrylics and produce at least 4 paintings.

Expert: Learn how to paint with oils. Learn how to frame and wire your own paintings. Enter your paintings in a gallery or a show or other public viewing venue.

WRITING BADGE:

Beginner: Read Strunk and White's The Elements of Style. Write a 2-page story (500 words) utilizing correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Intermediate: Read 2 how-to books regarding writing short stories, novels, or poetry. Choose your genre: children's literature, fantasy, mystery, nonfiction, woman's literary fiction, etc.

Expert: Read 2 books in the genre you choose to write in; write a short piece of human interest in your chosen genre that you have (or at least attempt to have) published in your local newspaper; write 20 pages in your choice genre - this could be 20 pages of poetry, a 20-page short story, 20 pages of nonfiction, or the first 20 pages of your novel. Research possibilites for publishers in Writer's Market. (And while, granted, it can be difficult breaking into publication, perhaps you could devote a section of the website where those who've attained merit badges could post finished writing - ditto art re those who complete the Artist badge.)

It is my hope that you please consider adding Merit Badges in these areas.

Thank you,
Barbara

"If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint."
- Edward Hopper

www.newhampshirefarmgirl.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sister #2694

Edited by - nh.farmgirl on Feb 16 2011 11:20:31 AM

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  9:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Is there anybody else who would have interest in having the above two merit badges included?

- Edward Hopper

Farmgirl Sister #2694

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  10:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have no talent at art. None. Zero. Zilch It is a wonderful badge idea for a more talented farmgirl and well thought out too.

However...I am very interested in a writing badge! I write all of the time and enjoy it very much! What fun!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  05:01:09 AM  Show Profile
I think that would be fun and challenging

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

Kevin
Video/Merit Badge Farm Boy

152 Posts

Kevin
Pullman WA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile
I talked with our Merit Badge team and your idea was a big hit. (We especially loved it that you wrote the concept out entirely. We think THAT deserves a badge!) As you know, to avoid confusion, we update our Merit Badge requirements only twice per year, so this coming July is our next scheduled update. We will definitely add these. In the meantime, SISTERS are welcome to get started on these badges but please note the July 1 date for recognition. For the new badges we added last month, Denali has been busy getting the drawings done, thinking we had some time because it would take a little moment or two for SISTERS to earn them. But wouldn't you know, that little moment wasn't more than a few days! Anyway, one of the great rewards when you earn a badge is seeing for the first time what the badge itself looks like--the one you'll embroider. These are top secret but we thought you'd like a sneak peak. Here's Denali's rendition for Chapter Leader. Isn't she adorable? MaryJane claims she's going to be wearing "her" to Farmgirl events from here on out.

-Kevin

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

-Robert A. Heinlein
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  10:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
awesome idea!!!!!

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile
YEAH

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile
Kevin,

Thank you - wonderful!! I'm looking forward to working on them both.

Barbara

- Edward Hopper

Farmgirl Sister #2694

Go to Top of Page

Kangaroo Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Teresa
Red Oak Texas
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  10:47:08 AM  Show Profile
I like your suggestions for new badges.
kangaroo kate
farmgirl #1506

Dance Like No One Is
Watching.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  05:22:35 AM  Show Profile
I love this idea, BUT... I have the darndest time writing short stories. For some of you that may seem very strange, so can we add something about completing a chapter to a novel as another way to earn part of the badge or make it the completion of the novel (expert), particularly since Barbara did outline reading two books in the genre of your choice. The research into publishing is the same and there are several great websites to find agents (the first step for most novels) as publishers aren't as keen to look at entire books without one.

This is great and right up my alley. thanks Barbara for suggesting it.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  11:14:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kate!

So glad you like my ideas for these two new badges. I am looking forward to working on them too.

Barbara

- Edward Hopper

Farmgirl Sister #2694

Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  11:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie,

I know what you mean. I could (and did) write an entire novel that I am currently working on revising, edition, and polishing. Yet, the a short story - hmmm, I'm not so sure. What's that saying? I'm willing to give it the old college try!

These days and when I have a stretch of time, I am working on creating a short story from my novel, something suggested at a writer's workshop at SNHU here in NH, the thought being that many novels started out as short stories - that if the short story is well received, a publisher would be far more apt to consider publishing the full-length novel...and especially if it is a first novel, as mine is.

To respond to your comment, I'm sure a first chapter of a novel would be accepted in place of a short story. Looking forward to hearing back from you, and happy writing!

Barbara

- Edward Hopper
Farmgirl Sister #2694

Edited by - nh.farmgirl on Feb 20 2011 11:25:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  1:39:50 PM  Show Profile
Barbara, Any chance you attended Odyssey? It's hosted in Manchester these days at St. A's. I went when it was out at SNHU in 2001. If you haven't it's a 6-week writing workshop that really helped me push pass the block in my writing.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

nh.farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Barbara
New Hampshire
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  09:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie,

No, have not attended Odyssey although have heard of it. I was accepted into the MFA program at SNHU and was supposed to start just last month with the Spring 2011 semester, but a sudden surgery in December messed with those plans. I did just finish a 6-week writing workshop at SNHU and am planning on attending the annual writers' conference in early March, so that should be interesting.

Barbara

- Edward Hopper
Farmgirl Sister

Go to Top of Page

longbeachfox
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Mary
Long Beach WA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  07:11:52 AM  Show Profile
Both of these sound fantastic! It will help us get out of our comfort zone...

Farmgirl # 2532

With God...Nothing Is Impossible!

http://foxontherunarts.blogspot.com

www.etsy.com/shop/longbeachfox

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  5:18:18 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Barbara. Those 6 week courses can be pretty intense, but well worth it.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13636 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13636 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  7:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Interesting ideas!! Hmmmmmmmmm!!

"Chapter Leader" IS adorable. I believe that she is one of the ones that I'm waiting on.

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

The Magpie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Melanie
San Dimas California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  7:03:54 PM  Show Profile
I like those two ideas very much. I'm new here so haven't worked on any merit badges yet. I think both of those would be fun to work on.
Go to Top of Page

amethyst
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Amberly
Suwanee GA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Send amethyst an AOL message  Send amethyst a Yahoo! Message
Those both sound like fun ideas for merit badges. Thanks for posting!

Farmgirl Sister #2581
http://ubiquitousamethyst.blogspot.com/
http://bacchusstone.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  8:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I would love to work on those badges!

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.
Go to Top of Page
  Official Farmgirl Sisterhood Members: Previous Topic Ideas for two new Merit Badges Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page