RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  05:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Last night I went outside to find that all the leaves were eaten on one of my tomato plants. I found 2 huge green horn worms and washed them away with the garden hose. Any suggestions to protect my plants? I'm afraid I'll go out one evening to find my garden gone!Thanks!

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  05:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Robin, try this site, it has info on hornworms.
http://www.ehow.com/how_9366_control-tomato-hornworms.html
good luck

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  07:01:26 AM  Show Profile
That happened to me one year. It made me so mad to see my beautiful, lush tomato plants denuded!!
So, I found all of the horn worms, picked them off and put them in the street. You could hear them squish when they were run over by cars.
Mean, devious, cold-hearted I know, but I felt better!!

Karin

PS- You really need to find them and kill them or they will come back and eat more.
Go to Top of Page

RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  07:14:58 AM  Show Profile
Westernhorse51 and Mumof3, thank you for those quick and helpful replies. I think I will be on my hands and knees carefully inspecting each plant this weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  07:33:47 AM  Show Profile
I know it's a pain when they get to your garden.. btt aren't those big nasty old worms fascinating? From a toddlers point of view they are just gigantic I bet. It would be fun to get one of those guys in a bug jar for an hour for my girls to look at... but for the moment I am stuck in an apartment with no tomato in sight so It's a little safe for us to have them around :)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I sat in my garden, examining each plant for about a week. Removing any that I saw and tossing them to the chickens, boy were they happy (the chickens). The other thing I did was spray each plant with neem. It worked so good...

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  10:22:49 AM  Show Profile
I just bought some Neem concentrate last week. I think the dilution is 1Tbs. per 1 gallon of water or something like that. I wasn't sure if it would work for these big fat creatures. I used the neem for my beans, but am not sure if I can tell a difference yet. After I attacked the biggest worm with the strongest setting on my garden hose nozzle, it layed lifeless, wrapped around a big weed several feet away. I will definitely be out crawling around with the neem spray tomorrow (supposed to have storms this afternoon). You all are so helpful. Thank you so much!!!!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  11:39:30 PM  Show Profile
OK, this is just so gross...but we go out with a sharp pair of garden shears & yup...just snip them in two! I feel no remorse either. The kids especially love to see the green goo that's inside. And we've done the chicken thing before too! The hens seem to think they're a real treat.
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  07:02:26 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
my grandfather use to go through his garden and pick them off the plants and just squish them under foot. He always said it was best to kill them outright and not wait for a bug spray as that could take a little bit of time to kill them and while theya re waiting to die thay are eating his plants. I just remember them being so big as a kid and disgusting when No-no ( Italian for grandpa) would squish them

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Green Worms Ate My Tomato Plant Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page