Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Inexpensive Garden Ideas and Thank you.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Inexpensive Garden Ideas and Thank you. Next Topic  

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  11:45:18 AM  Show Profile
I am just loving this group. I now have hope for growing tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest.

When I moved into my last house,money was tight and I rally wanted a bird bath. I couldn't justify spending money on something like that. My Grandmother took a large saucer from a plant container, an old piece of fence post and some outdoor glue...and I had a bird bath. My saucer is about 2 feet across and it had been treated on the inside to be water tight. You can buy a saucer like this for around $5.00 at the garden stores.

Anyone else have any great frugal gardening ideas?

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  12:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group Laura! I love your grandmother's ingenuity!
If you are a gal who like to go to yard sales or estate sales, they are great places to get plants. Whenever I go to an estate sale, I always look at the garden and ask if I can take a cutting, gather seeds or dig up a bit of a plant. No one has ever turned me down. My garden is full of these treasures. Some of them are quite unique and I know I would not find them in the garden-variety nurseries here.
People here usually put out plants in the spring for sale in their yard sales and they are very cheap!
Happy hunting!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  1:38:03 PM  Show Profile
Don't you just love grandmas! I miss mine terribly...she had a make-do solution for everything.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  4:09:20 PM  Show Profile
laura .. i'm always looking for olde garden and farm 'things' to turn into planters or garden 'structures'. just today at an antiques shoppe .. i bought a 'calf feeding bucket' (hooks over the fence) and i filled it with red geraniums .. have 'signs' here and there in the garden .. you can make these (or buy 'em!) .. i have olde birdhouses perched atop fence posts. i'll take some photos of some of my 'flower and garden make-do's' and post them. makes for unique .. one-of-a-kind gardens! .. and oh so 'farm-ish'!

a friend of mine does the same thing as your grammie .. only she has a 'china' drill .. and drills a hole in the middle of olde plates .. and bolts them to posts that she makes from table legs and such. (she also uses cups and saucers for 'water' for the birds.

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  4:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Our garden adventure is just starting here. We have about 5 acres and lots and lots of stumps. Some we can pull but many of them will have to stay where they are. My husband was reading a gardening magazine and it described how to take wire and rap it around the top of the tree stump to create a planting basket. I thought what a great idea. I will turn each stump into a planter.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  4:39:46 PM  Show Profile
You know what could be really cute with your stumps Tammy? You could find one of the larger ones if there are any that would make a good seat, then make little pavers going up to it like it is supposed to be there (quick dry cement, plastic garbage lines and pizza boxes make a great mold if you don't want to buy one, plant flowers on either side of it and have that be your special throne as queen of the garden :)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Garden_artist
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  4:42:47 PM  Show Profile
That's a real cute idea. I have also thought about turning one into a base for an outdoor table.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  5:10:25 PM  Show Profile

this is that cute little 'clippings' basket in forest green paint that i found today ... will probably use it for just that purpose!

this is a 'cloth' angel that i made in a doll class .. she only goes out into the garden on special occasions .. and comes back in before it rains.

a calf-feeding bucket .. it has a metal hook on the back to hang it over a fence post .. red geraniums!

will post more garden goodies soon!

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jun 22 2006 5:13:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  5:25:09 PM  Show Profile

love this olde 'pig trough' filled with herbs!

one of my olde garden 'hose winders'

i love this olde 'pioneer' PLOW

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  5:43:12 PM  Show Profile

one of my zillion birdhouses .. on top of a fence post

one of my sweet olde 'boo radley' antique doll houses. i've been scolded for putting it outside in the 'elements' and letting it go back to 'nature' .. but .. i so enjoy looking at it everytime i visit the yard .. that it is o.k. if it doesn't last forever!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  5:50:37 PM  Show Profile

extra bird-houses jus' hanging around together

this is one of my very most favorite 'garden decorations' .. an antique metal red tractor .. got it for our grandson when he was three .. he is now twelve!

True Friends, Frannie

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Jun 22 2006 5:52:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  5:57:43 PM  Show Profile

olde rusty angel hanging off the side of the barn

will post some more later .. gotta' go rustle up some vittles .. it's almost 9 p.m. and we haven't had 'supper' yet! xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  6:50:10 PM  Show Profile
I use old, rusty rakes that have lost their handles to hang my hand tools on.:)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  9:06:38 PM  Show Profile
I have seen where folks will take a post finial and then attach a spigot to it and then attach a chandelier drop to it with wire(I guess when you attach the spigot to the post you can hide the wire through the spigot..then the "teardrop" simulates a water drop)..they are really cute..I saw them just plain and the tops left bare, but one could liquid nail a teacup and saucer to the top and have a bird feeder and waterer too if they wanted.I saw these at a crafts show for about $20 each.
I've been wanting to make one for my garden.
-----------
Recently I had posts in our courtyard area (where we built a L shape fencing to form the courtyard area )and the posts never seemed finished to me..they were just flat and square sticking up about 6 inches...above the fencing..so I bought some of those silo shaped little birdhouses from Michael's Arts and crafts store and my daughter spray painted them red and white for me and polyurethaned them..now the posts look "finished" and really cute...and "countrified to boot".

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  9:44:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm so impressed with all the garden "art". This was great fun and have given me lots of new ideas. I lost my Grandmother just a few months ago and I feel close to her in the garden. I've lived in my house for about 4 years and have not gotten around to doing much with the yard. I knew when I bought the house would need a major overhaul. I have not done much gardening in this climate, like learning all over again.

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  05:25:53 AM  Show Profile
I love going out in the woods to find long branches to make a trellis and although it wasn't very sturdy, last year I made a small waffle fence around my herbs (Tasha Tudor) it was so cute. This year & hopefully this w/end were putting up a small white picket fence. I love that and our gate will be handmade w/ branches painted white & small glass bottles glued on for single flowers in each one. The last time we were at the Delaware river we brought beautiful stones home from the woods, just a few but they make such a pretty border.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  05:28:15 AM  Show Profile
Laura, welcome. Im sure you will get alot of great ideas here. Nice to have you w/ us.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2006 :  08:49:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie, I so love all the treasures in your garden!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Inexpensive Garden Ideas and Thank you. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page