woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  06:45:03 AM  Show Profile
I have an anniversary, birthday, and Valentine's Day all in the same month, so I usually get a great gift! I really would like a pressure canner. What brands/ models would you reccommend?

Farmgirl #1947

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  07:48:14 AM  Show Profile
I would love to speak up on this one!! I own 2 All American Canners, and LOVE both of them. In fact if I ran across a third one at a garage sale I would buy it!! There are many reasons I prefer the AA. First of all these canners will last me a lifetime and longer. There are no gaskets to wear out and replace. There are many different sizes to chose from, and best of all they are MADE IN THE USA!!!! My first one and favorite most used one is the 921. I can do either 7 quarts or double stack and do about 16 pints. We purchased additional racks for ours to use during tuna season because we can our tuna in short half pints and I can fit 24 of those in there. This one was purchased through http://www.allamericancanner.com/ and was here within a few days of ordering. My second one was a purchase through ebay and I got a pretty good price on it. This one is the 941 and it will can about 32 pints or 16 quarts. I usally break it out when I am canning a large batch of something and run both canners at once, like the tuna or corn.

Yes they are more expensive, but in my opinion worth every penny and then some. I am considering looking into finding a 910 model for when I have small items.

Hope this helps-
Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  09:39:30 AM  Show Profile
I love my Mirro-matic which I've had since the mid 70's. It has been used every single year since. I like it because it uses a marked weight to regulate pressure rather than a needle guage. The needle guage is supposed to be checked by the extension office every year to make sure that it is accurate to avoid accidents. I don't have to do that because the weight is just a weight! I wouldn't trade for anything else because it is inexpensive, easy to use and easy to care for. There is a site that is an outlet site for them at http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/mirropressurecanner.htm

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh! And I forgot one other thing. When purchasing a canner, be sure that it will work on your particular range. There are only a handful that will work on the new smooth topped ranges. Most require the regular coil element range.
Just thought I'd throw that in! :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  09:46:50 AM  Show Profile
I have to put my two cents in on the Mirro canner as well. I have been using them for well over 25 years - I have two. I like the weight instead of the guage that has to be tested. The seals last a long time - I have only had to replace them once. The price is right and they do a bang up job.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  10:10:09 AM  Show Profile
AA has both the weight and guage, so you can monitor it both ways!
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  11:01:14 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad I came across this thread. I just finished reading about canning meats, and will need a pressure canner to do it. Thanks for all this wonderful information.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  2:04:46 PM  Show Profile
I am petrified of a pressure canner and I do not know why......

does anyone know anything about the one that Montel sells??? it appears to be electric- i know it is smaller- i just wondered if it would work for canning or is it just for cooking????

i'm too poor to pay attention right now so not purchasing but i enjoy reading these posts and learning from you gals!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  3:48:14 PM  Show Profile
A pressure cooker is for cooking not canning. If it is electric then chances are it is a cooker.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  7:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies! I just realized how funny it is that a pressure canner is a romantic gift for me, haha!

I would assume you can use one with a gas range, yes?

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  8:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes. That's the absolute BEST way to can. Even heat for even pressure. :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  10:36:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm so thankful for this thread, too! But I have a glass top range... I looked at both the All-American and the Mirro- Pressure canners and neither are recommended for my stove top. Does anyone know what brand IS recommended for a glass top range? I've been wanting to buy one forever. I'd really appreciate any help you all can give, too! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  05:23:43 AM  Show Profile
If you go to the website that I gave Elizabeth:
http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/mirropressurecanner.htm
there are other brands of pressure canners. I believe that I noticed a Presto that said it was ok for all ranges but it had the guage. The problem with glass top ranges is that they do not keep an even heat and pressure for pressure canning since they have a sensor in the glass(dropping the temp when it is too hot for the glass) to keep the top from breaking. It is not safe to can when the temps fluctuate because that doesn't kill the bacteria. If you have a manual for your stove, you might look and to see if it says whether you can can on yours. Most likely you can waterbath can but not pressure can. If you can't, you might think about getting a small camping stove that uses propane and do your canning outside.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page