Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  11:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Yes I was one of the ladies who panicked around halloween and thought there was a pumpkin shortage!! So guess what now I have cans and cans of pumpkin in my cupboard. So for dessert tonight my husband is getting pumpkin pie and next week I am making pumpkin cookies and the week after that I am making pumpkin muffins!! Hooray for pumpkins!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  11:50:11 AM  Show Profile
The pumpkin bread recipe on the King Arthur Flour website is fabulous.
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh I did'nt think about pumpkin bread. Sounds yummy. I will try it!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  12:08:58 PM  Show Profile
You can also make a fabulous Southwest Pumpkin soup
recipe, here:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Southwestern-Pumpkin-Soup-104064

I got the recipe several years ago from a friend from Cleveland--the Watermark Restaurant in Cleveland serves this soup every autumn and winter and she raved about it. Then, I ran across the recipe in Bon Appetit, so it must be good :)

It's also a really quick week night meal, served with a crusty bread and a salad.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  12:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Jonni,

That looks good, I'm printing it right now :)

Dorinda,

Here is a recipe I came up with using canned pumpkin. It's really tasty :)

Pumpkin-Espresso Cake

Cake:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons Baking Spice (or Pumpkin Pie Spice)
¾ cup softened salted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
2 Tablespoon Instant Espresso Powder dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water

Glaze:
2-3 tablespoons strong coffee
2 teaspoons instant espresso
¾ cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together dry ingredients and set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, beating one at a time. Add vanilla. Next add the dry ingredients alternately with the pumpkin. Take half the batter out and add in the espresso, mixing well.
Spoon half of the pumpkin mixture into a Bundt pan that has been greased and floured. Next add the espresso batter. Be sure to spread around. End with spreading the remaining half of the pumpkin batter.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on rack. Invert and cool completely removing from pan.

Pour warm glaze over cake and let sit for 10 minutes.

For glaze: Mix coffee, espresso powder and powdered sugar until smooth. You may need to adjust ingredients for desired consistency.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  12:24:13 PM  Show Profile
It's really good, Sharon...I sortof questioned the cumin at first, but it's a great tasting recipe!

And yours sounds good, too, so I'm printing that one off!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  06:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Sharon,

That recipe looks delicious. I'm putting pumpkin on my shopping list just because of it. I think I'll take it to my church home group on Sunday. Enjoy all of the pumpkin culinary adventures!

Jonni, after looking at the soup recipe, I think I need to try that too. Thanks for sharing.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com

Edited by - Forrester Farm on Feb 11 2011 06:38:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  05:02:31 AM  Show Profile
I love pumpkin anything! I always say if dirt was wrapped in pumpkin I would eat it. Oh, this thread made me hungry for pumpkin bread!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile
While buying some pumpkin today, I noticed that one can said "Product of China". Seriously? Has anyone else noticed that? I paid an extra 50 cents for the same size can that hopefully was a pure product of the USA.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  1:01:35 PM  Show Profile
Pumpkin from China??? No kidding! I have been trying to remember to check labels for "made in USA", but I don't think I would have thought to look on pumpkin! I also see distributed by- and then a USA location. Does that mean it was also grown in the USA? Does anyone know? Anyway, the pumpkin recipes sound wonderful and just by luck, I have some in my freezer from last fall. Think there will be pumpkin on the menu tonight! Thanks for the idea!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  1:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
You will be surprised to see all the countries our foods come from. Check everything. I try to only buy from the USA but I do buy from Italy too. I don't trust the sanitation and growing methods from other countries. Scarey! Bad enough we have some scares right here but we wouldn't even know of them elsewhere.

I love pumpkin anything, I think I'll bake a pie. Thanks for spoiling my diet!LOL!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  4:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Around here we don't get pumpkin from China, but that might be because our state produces the majority of domestic pumpkin sold int he states (I have been told). But when I was experimetning with fermenting apple juice last summer, I had a hard time finding some that was domestic and not from China. Hadn't bought any in years and that really surprised me.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  07:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Pumpkin Bundt Cake
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 sticks butter - well softened
1.5 cups sugar
1.25 cups pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk

Mix all in order. If the batter tastes bland you can add more pumpkin pie spice until desired taste. Bake at 330 until knife comes out clean from deepest part

Pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

Mix

Pumpkin cake Glaze
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup confect. sugar
4 Tblsp milk
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp vanilla

Mix and pour on a slightly cooled cake

This is my best receipts for pumpkin, my hubby eats it like candy. For the cake I got a bundt cake pan that was christmas wreaths and I wrap them up individually for his lunches. If you want to unload any of the pumpkin please email me and I will gladly take some off your hands.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  6:39:57 PM  Show Profile
The pumpkin espresso cake was a hit with everyone at home group. I thought I'd make another today, but made pumpkin muffins instead. The pumpkin bundt cake sounds good too.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  06:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ann,

I'm glad that everyone liked the cake. I tried to combine both flavors that my honey loves :)

The Pumpkin Bundt Cake does sound good :)

A couple of years ago we grew Cinderella Pumpkins. We don't have a huge garden so we were limited on room. We decide to try these thinking more 'meat' per pumpkin, they aren't totally hollow like most pumpkins. They have an almost buttery taste to them and we use the puree for baking.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2011 :  07:15:05 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, Growing your own pumpkins seems like a much better plan than buying the canned pumpkin - especially the cans labeled "Product of China"!

Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  01:11:44 AM  Show Profile
Pumpkin Butter is great too! I also went nuts on pumpkin, so made pumkin butter and gave it away for christmas gifts.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  06:02:08 AM  Show Profile
I made the Bundt Cake . Yummy, it was fantastic. Did not last long. I will be making that again!
Thanks for the recipe.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  3:52:18 PM  Show Profile
We love these pumpkin pancakes. The cinnamon brown butter just makes them fabulous.

Cinnamon Brown Butter:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup toasted pecans

In small heavy saucepan cook butter over medium heat for 8-10 minujtes or until golden brown (stir it occasionally and watch so it won't burn) Add maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Remove from heat and stir in pecans.

Pancakes:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups milk
3/4 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup ricotta cheese

Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, pumpkin and cheese. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until moistened.

Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot gridle. Turn when bubbles form on the top. Cook until the second side is golden brown.

Serve with cinnamon brown butter.

You'll be smiling because you'll love them and you'll love me for giving you this recipe.
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  07:48:07 AM  Show Profile
We have an excess of pumpkin too, and I must share this recipe for squash gnocchi because everyone at my house LOVES it.

2 cups of pureed squash (pumpkin) (No lumps!!)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups flour**

Mix together - adding in the flour 1/2 cup at a time. I've found that it takes more than 2 cups of flour because you want to get the dough to become a cohesive ball that is no longer sticky.

Meanwhile heat a large pot of salted water to boiling. Also get a large bowl of ICE water ready

Divide dough into half, then half again. On a lightly floured surface, roll each quarter of the dough into a long snake that is about the thickness of a quarter, and then cut the dough into inch long pieces.

Make a test gnocchi to make sure your dough isn't too loose - add it to the boiling water and when it floats, take it out. When you bite into it, it should have the texture of a dumpling - a little firm. When I first made these, mine were a little mushy and I didn't think to add more flour to the dough before forging ahead and making a whole batch of mushy gnocchi!!

Put all gnocchi into the boiling water at the same time. When all of them are floating, remove them with a slotted spoon and put them directing into ICE WATER - that's a critical step - do not skip it. Once they are cooled, drain the ice water and they store well in the fridge until it's time to serve them.

To serve you'll need:
1/2 cup to cup of walnuts, loosely chopped
Fresh sage
butter
Blue Cheese

First, toast some walnuts for 7-10 minutes in the oven at 350.
Next, using a skillet, melt butter until it turns brown.
Add in the gnocchi.
Then add in fresh chopped sage and the toasted walnuts.
Top with blue cheese.

Note - I'm not a fan of blue cheese in general, but the cheese in some capacity makes really does add to the flavor profile and the texture of the dish. Trust me on this one because squash gnocchi can be pretty boring without a little kick!

I wish I had some pictures to post because this has turned into one of our favorite ways to use of squash!!

Denise - Farmgirl #1976
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  7:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Pumpkin Clove Cake/Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients
• Dry ingredients
• 14 ounces (2 3/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour (or 14 1/2 ounces (2 3/4 cups + 1 1/2 tablespoons) at high altitude
• 1/4 cup Turbinado sugar (or 3 tablespoons at high altitude)
• 1 tablespoon baking powder (or 2 teaspoons at high altitude)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
• 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
• Liquid ingredients
• 15 ounces canned pumpkin
• 5 tablespoons heavy cream (or 6 tablespoons at high altitude)
• 1 tablespoon dark rum
• 1 tablespoon raw honey
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
• Creaming
• 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature (or 8 ounces (2 sticks) at high altitude)
• 21 ounces (2 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons) extra-fine granulated sugar (or 19 3/4 ounces (2 1/4 cups + 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon) at high altitude)
• 2 eggs (large), (or 3 at high altitude)
• 4 yolks (large)
Preparation
To make an alcohol-free variation of this cake: Omit the rum and vanilla extract.
To make the pound cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (conventional) or 335 degrees F (convection). Set the rack in the middle of the oven. For Crunchy Feet, set racks in the upper-middle and lower-middle positions.
Set out the ingredients and equipment. Sift the flour directly into a bowl on a scale for accurate measuring. Measure the other dry ingredients into a separate mixing bowl, add the flour, and whisk for 10 seconds to blend. Set aside. Measure the liquid ingredients into a separate bowl, whisk to combine, and set aside. Measure the butter and sugar into separate bowls and set aside. Crack the eggs and yolks into two separate bowls and set aside.
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on the lowest speed for 3 minutes. This is a very dense cake so aerating well is important.
With the mixer still on the lowest speed, add the eggs one at a time followed by the yolks, fully incorporating after each addition. Stop the mixture and scrape the sides of the bowl.
Add the dry ingredient mixture alternately with the liquid mixture in 3 to 5 additions each, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Move swiftly through this step to avoid overworking the batter. Don’t wait for the dry or liquid mixtures to be fully incorporated before adding the next. This step should take a total of about 60 seconds.
Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl all the way down. Don’t miss the clumps of ingredients hiding on the bottom of the bowl. Mix on medium speed for 15 to 20 seconds to develop the batter’s structure.
Prepare the pans. For a Bundt cake, spray the pan well with a nonstick spray. For Crunchy Feet, place the brioche pans on sheet pans (16 per half-sheet pan is a snug fit) and spray them liberally with a nonstick spray. For 9-inch-round cakes, line the bottom of each pan with parchment but do not spray the sides.
For a Bundt cake, fill the pan about three-quarters full by depositing the batter with the rubber spatula in small clumps around the prepared pan instead of by pouring it into one spot. Level the batter with the rubber spatula. Bake any leftover batter as Crunchy Feet or cupcakes. For Crunchy Feet, use a 2-ounce, trigger-release, ice cream scoop to deposit the batter into the prepared pans so they are three-quarters full. For 9-inch-round cakes, deposit the batter into three separate areas of the pan and smooth out with an offset spatula, making sure the pans are two-thirds full.
Follow these approximate bake times:
12-cup Bundt cake: 40-55 minutes at sea level; 65-70 minutes at high altitude.
Crunchy Feet: 15 minutes at sea level; 30 minutes at high altitude.
9-inch rounds: 30 minutes at sea level; 55 minutes at high altitude.
Once the top of the cake doesn’t jiggle in the center and the color is an even, deep orange, test for doneness by inserting a bamboo skewer into the middle of the cake. When the skewer shows just a touch of crumbs or comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a heat-resistant surface or wire rack.
For the Bundt cake, once the cake has cooled for 5 to 10 minutes, remove it by inverting the pan onto a flat surface. Allow it to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes, before glazing.
For Crunchy Feet, carefully invert the brioche pans to release the cakes 3 to 4 minutes after removing them from the oven — well before they cool completely. You may have to tap each pan firmly — or even slam it — against the sheet pan to release the cake. Place on a heat-resistant surface or wire rack to cool. Immediately soak the pans to make cleaning easier.
For the layer cake, cool to room temperature, 25 to 30 minutes, before removing from the pan. Use a small offset spatula to loosen the cake from the rim of the pan. Carefully invert each pan onto a flat surface to remove the layers. Remove the parchment from the bottom of each cake and wrap the cake tightly in plastic. Assembling a layer cake is easier if the cake is cold, so refrigerate the layers overnight or for up to five days before frosting.
Serving and storing:
Serve at room temperature either naked or with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar.
Store under a cake dome at room temperature, or wrapped in plastic in the fridge for up to 1 week. If frosted, store under a cake dome for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for up to 1 week. To store unfrosted cake longer, label, date, and store the plastic-wrapped cake in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Serving Size
Yield: One 12-cup Bundt cake, 32 Crunchy Feet, or two 9-inch round cakes
search for more recipes in TODAY's Cooking School
Print | Share | Log in to save this recipe | Go to my recipe box
Recipe: Cream cheese icing recipe (for topping the pumpkin cake)
Warren Brown
Ingredients
• 5 ounces unsalted butter (soft)
• 8 ounces Philly brand cream cheese (soft)
• 12 ounces confectioner's sugar
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 2 to 4 tablespoons of milk or cream depending on how thick you want it
Preparation
Starting with the butter, beat until smooth on a stand mixer fitted with the flat beater. Medium to high speed is OK.
Add the cream cheese and beat until smooth. Medium to high speed is OK.
Add sugar and vanilla. Medium to high speed is OK.
Add milk or cream and beta on medium speed until you reach the consistency you want. If it's too thin, add more sugar.

"The country way of life is the closest thing to heaven"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cans and cans of pumpkin!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page