Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  11:09:09 AM  Show Profile
Did you know that you can can cheese? Yep. Hard AND soft. I just put up a post at the blog with pictures. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying my canned cheeses. Awesome! Hope it will give you some ideas
www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
Great info, thank you! Adding your page to my Wist list!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Susan!! Glad you enjoyed it. I just can't say enough about how wonderful the cheese is. You should have seen the clerk's face when I started piling all those blocks of cheese on the conveyor belt. She obviously thought I was crazy. But here we are snowed in again and we have all it takes to make broccoli cheese soup with dehydrated veggies and canned cheese and milk! :-) This picture was taken around noon. We got about 10 inches of snow again last night and this morning. Will Spring EVER get here??

Mary Beth

Edited by - Okie Farm Girl on Feb 09 2011 1:05:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  7:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I honestly didn't know you COULD can cheese, Mary Beth! That's simply amazing to me! They will last up to 2 years? On the shelf? No refrigeration? And you can really do this with everything - cheddar, mozzarella, pepper jack? I am very intrigued, and thinking that I might definitely try this after the next trip to Costco! I buy cheese in bulk all the time, but I've usually wound up freezing it. This is actually a great way to save room in the freezer! Thank you for sharing this information!

And I absolutely LOVE the picture, too! Don't worry - spring will arrive! Let's just pray, though, that we enjoy a decent spring before the heat of summer sets in! ;)

- Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Once again..... you've shared something AWESOME!!! Thanks Mary Beth!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  03:17:08 AM  Show Profile
Interesting....

God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  05:40:36 AM  Show Profile
Nini, yes, I've been canning all of the above.

I find it interesting that the canning that I've been doing since 1976, taught to me by my mother-in-law who had been canning since the 50's taught to her by her mother who had been canning since the 30's and the canning being done by people like Enola Gay just as long, is all of a sudden not approved by government "experts". I've been canning apple pie filling since I started canning and now I'm told that it is "not recommended". I wonder how the pioneers ever survived without all of the government oversight???

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  06:38:27 AM  Show Profile
mary beth...you never cease to amaze me! i love this concept!!!!!

and i absolutely adore cardinals so your pic gave me a smile!
thanks and hugs!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  06:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Margo, we have so many cardinals this year!! It's just beautiful. We also have a boatload of goldfinches. Of course they aren't as bright as they are in the summer, but they are are still yellow and so the yellow and red along with the blue of the bluejays is just stunning. I love birds!

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2907 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2907 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  06:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth
I love the concept of canning cheese. While I freeze some items, like our local beef, I prefer canning because of not having to worry about the food when we have outages, which happens with great frequency here.
& your pic is soothing as well. Our birds are extra hungry this year; I am going through 40lbs a week!
That is more than our 4 med/large dogs!
We too have many cardinals, several species of woodpeckers, titmouse, chickadees(my fave), bluejays & many others!
We bought our home from a famous wildlife artist, John Ruthven. He has painted many many birds in the Audobon style, & I swear all of our birds here are waiting for him to come back so that they can pose for his next release.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  07:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Lisa. That is so awesome!!! I love bird paintings and that is just a cool story. We are going through tons of feed too. But part of our problem is that the starlings swoop in and run everything off. Then I have to go out and run them off! The funniest things are the crows, though. There are two who mosey up to the feeders and just look at all the rest of the birds like, "outta here, Joe" and they all leave. The crows just eat what is on the ground because they are so big, but they do their thing and then leave and everybody else returns.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Cheese Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page