Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 need help with cheap curtain ideas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic need help with cheap curtain ideas Next Topic  

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  08:08:26 AM  Show Profile
We are moving to a new house which has all new thermal windows(awesome thank you God!) and we need to make some curtains on the CHEAP. My decor is of a 50s retro style, if that helps. Any suggestions for something sweet and easy, simple and cheap for a variety of sizes? Thanks Thanks Thanks my favorite farmgirls!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  08:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Second sheets worked for me after cutting out the middle that was a bit thin.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  08:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I had alot of sheers...but I wanted something more. So I took the sheers and gathered them then added about ten inches of fabric to the tops...to hang them I made fabric ties but, for the fifties retro look you could just add tabs. Sheers can be found at thrift stores for about fifty cents and the minimal material it takes to decorate them isn't much. Good luck with whatever you do!

"We were given: Two hands to hold. Two legs to walk. Two eyes to see. Two ears to listen. But why only one heart? Because the other was given to someone else. For us to find."
Source Unknown

Edited by - AuntPammy on Feb 08 2011 08:23:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  12:42:13 PM  Show Profile
I like stores like Goodwill (thrift or second hand types). Look for sheets or table cloths or even pillow cases for small windows--and they may even have curtains too. Of course always look at the clearance section of Wal-Mart, etc and think outside the box. You'll be surprised what you come up with. Good Luck!

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  12:57:18 PM  Show Profile
For which rooms?

For the kitchen, you can utilize vintage linent towels with those little round hooks that clip, and a nice brass or silver tension rod

For the living room, you can turn opaque sheets into "tie tops" by getting some gross grain contrasting ribbons, or other heavier gage string and attach them to the curtain top, and tie up onto the rod

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  4:21:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. Hadn't thought of the towels and the ribbon!

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:32:00 AM  Show Profile
for sure, peruse the Thrift shops, and keep in mind things can be re-purposed, cut & hemmed....
I have seen tons of lovely lace panals as well as nice curtains...and sometimes you might get lucky to find a sheet that woul make a great valance/swap. And at usually under $5 it beats the cost of new curtains!
There are all sorts of great fabric websites if you are looking specifically for retro fabric....
but what ever you do,,, have fun doing it! it will make the task easier!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:45:57 AM  Show Profile
Do you have blinds at the windows? I do have but only pull them to keep the cold out. I only have valances. It makes the windows look larger. A lot less expensive than drapes.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:45:32 PM  Show Profile
There are no blinds, but they are new thermal windows so I am excited about that part.

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  1:04:54 PM  Show Profile
if you have some vintage hankies or white napkins you can make cute valances from those by simply folding the hankies in half and creating a triangle point, hang over a spring rod or other curtain rod. You can also sew the hankie squares randomly to sheers for a gauzy but fun look.
also think a bit more outside the box...vintage cutter quality chenille spreads can be cut down and used as curtains. Create beautiful tiebacks using crocheted jute twine and accent with a silk rose. you can even create a cafe style curtains by putting two vintage aprons tied on to the lower part, then the hankies at the top or hang vintage doll dress at the top , or if you'd like hang vintage potholders across the top. just a few fun ideas.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.com
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  4:31:46 PM  Show Profile
don't forget vintage tablecloths.....

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  10:04:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

at my last house I had a huge back porch utility room with windows on two sides; i used old tablecloths I cut them in half lengthwise; made a casing on the cut edge and hung them up; i used sevral i didn't care if they were differnt or were thin/holey once you get them hung no one notices; then i made a simple shelf and placed all my flowers out there just happened to face the south; i found a 1/2 roll of expensive wall paper border (i only paid fifty cents) and covered the teal green and mauve cow border some previous tenant had hung up; the floor was painted red; the walls were the old tin punch ceiling tiles; through down a handmade rug and it was an adorable room.

lila
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  08:29:15 AM  Show Profile
A Friend of mine had the cutest idea...She took little baby girl dresses and hung them up on the curtain rod with clothes pins!! Made the cutest valances!
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  08:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Look at Funky Junky Interiors blog -- she used wood clothes hangers and clothespins to hang muslin from. adorable.

lila
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  11:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Lila, I love your ideas! I have mostly sheers w/ mini blinds that usually stay up, to let in as much light as possible. The vintage tablecloth and plant shelf combo sounds beautiful! Wish I could see a picture! My laundry/ powder room has different sized windows and an open doorway to a basement door area that I like to cover. I shopped @ Gabe's, a store that sells overstocks and seconds, and found on their clearance shelf, swags, a panel, and a shower curtain. With the help of a friend who's handier w/ a sewing machine than me, I was able to get curtains on all three areas for a total of $8. I also helped another friend put vintage tea towels over a tension rod, which looks so cute!
Go to Top of Page

The Rusty Thimble
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

brenda
kingston oklahoma
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2011 :  05:33:07 AM  Show Profile
If you have any vintage aprons those are great the the retro 50's look in kitchens
Linen tablecloths make wonderful full curtains for various other rooms and to make them more decor friendly for
the color of your rooms simply take a piece of fabric and make a strip running down the side, across the top or along the bottom of it and use that same fabric for tiebacks. you can even use the fabic to make the tabs out of

Brenda
http://www.etsy.com/shop/RustyThimble
http://therustythimble.blogspot.com/

Brenda

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RustyThimble
http://therustythimble.blogspot.com/
http://rustythimblesalesblog.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Rusty-Thimble/150163381680858
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  08:29:45 AM  Show Profile
I second the sheet idea! I used two flat sheets one time in our bedroom. I didn't even need to hem them for a curtain rod (they already had it!) and they hung exactly right too. Worked out perfectly.

Sister #1213

Handmade and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

mylilybug
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Marisa
Otwell Indiana
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2011 :  9:15:36 PM  Show Profile
One suggestion is to find some material that meets your budget and instead of sewing across for the curtain rod to slip in, you can use buttons to sew across, instead of using thread. I would suggest "tearing" the material across to the length you want it versus cutting it. I think it looks unique.

Another suggestion, is to use retro pillowcases with the button idea above, for your bedroom(s).

As mentioned from others, sheets can be used to create curtains. When my mother was alive, she made curtains for many people and she always bought flat sheets, and then added lace, ribbons, etc.

Hope this helps! Marisa

She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile
Debbie - I love the idea of the little girl dresses!

I have also used vintage tea towels. If i couldn't find those i stnciled on flour sacks and used those.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

longbeachfox
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Mary
Long Beach WA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  6:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Garage sales are the best for curtains! I have found such good buys on curtain there. If you don't like the color, you can always dye them. Sometimes you can find some really neat embroidered pieces to put on the curtains to add a vintage look. If they aren't long enough, you can add some old tablecloth fabric to the bottom and it adds a neat vintage look. Have fun!

Farmgirl # 2532

With God...Nothing Is Impossible!

http://foxontherunarts.blogspot.com

www.etsy.com/shop/longbeachfox

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  05:36:33 AM  Show Profile
I have been going to thrift stores every week to look for linen tablecloths-they're impossible to find around here!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  06:13:09 AM  Show Profile
I love Marisa's idea of torn fabric and buttons! Wish I had a picture! Megan, I know what you mean about not finding the vintage tablecloths. I have always looked for them when I thrift and don't see too many of them anymore. And I can't bring myself to cut up the ones I already have! I wonder if you would have any luck with freecycle?
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  11:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Funky Junk is awesome. Thanks for posting that. I love sooo many of the ideas there. I love the 50's starburst mirrors andhse had one made from clothespins that I plan to make, as soon as I get enough clothespins from garage sales this summer.

Happy Trails!

Rachael
Farmgirl Sister #535
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  3:08:51 PM  Show Profile
I have seen bandanas or scarfs edged with a little lace or ribbons used to make the cutest curtains. Not much cost there and the variety available is enormous. Another window treatment I saw once was vintage style hot pads hung on their hanging hoops on a rod overlapping each other. There was no side curtain but that valance sure was cute for a window that didn't need privacy.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  3:44:11 PM  Show Profile
I am going to make curtains out of burlap for my dining room when we get moved back in. It is pretty cheap and I plan on waiting for one of those wonderful sales to buy it. I'll just fold over the top to the outside of the curtain, sew a pocket and fringe the hangover part. I'll probably fringe the bottom too. If the selvage edge is too wonky (sometimes burlap is) I'll add a wide grosgrain ribbon to the edges. I'll make a wide tie back with a ribbon band on it too. I don't need privacy but could use a little sun filter since the entire back wall is windows and faces west. I never had curtains on any of the windows on the original cabin. We are way off the road and behind a fence row that has grown up with trees. Now that the place will be bigger curtains won't take up valuable visual space and I'm looking forward to playing with ideas.
I'm going to buy a roll up window shade and paint the window with the mouse sitting on the ledge from "Good Night Moon" on it. That will be for the guest/grandchildren's room. You can paint, stencil, wall paper or cut an eyelet design in a roll up shade. They are really cheap. Add a fringe or ribbon to the bottom and you have an expensive looking blind!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  11:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
For our last place I went and bought dollar a yard fabric with a faux raw silk look to it and just folded it over on both ends and sewed. Then I shoved the rod through the top and hung them. I picked fabric where the salvedge edges weren't any different than the rest of the fabric so I didn't even have to hem the sides. Even if I used 6 yards per window I was coming in well under $10 each when you figured in fabric, thread and tax. Our living room here is all windows, so I bought a roll of backed drapert fabric and did the same thing but I had to hem the sides. With my Joann's 50% off newsletter coupon I was able to do the whole thing for about $500 less than identical store bought drapes would have cost me.

My Blog ~ http://www.kerrfect.com
My Etsy ~ http://www.etsy.com/shop/beletvieux
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic need help with cheap curtain ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page