Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:53:41 AM  Show Profile
I think it would be great to have a book to show step by step how to do vintage hairstyles. I remember watching Anne of Green Gables and thinking how much I'd love to wear my hair in some of the styles but have no clue how to go about achieving the styles. I have hair almost to my waist and there's so many styles I could wear it in but have no clue how to do them.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  09:42:05 AM  Show Profile
Some victorian hairstyles required a front piece or extensions. You remember in the movie the Mrs. Harris character asked Anne if that was all her own hair? That's probably what she was referring too.

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  1:50:21 PM  Show Profile
I love doing vintage hairstyles and started out on it a few years ago with a girlfriend. We are both HUGE fans of Anne and "hopelessly romantic". So she googled the victorian hairstyles and got some of the soft piping cover stuff from home depot(it looks like a tube made out of gray spongy material) and we cut them to fit our heads, and then taped the ends together. Then, after brushing our hair with our heads down to make it even all over, we placed the "crown" on top and pulled all the hair over it, fastening the ends into a bun. (Hope that makes sense!!!)

Another friend of mine had an Anne of Green Gables day and her mom teased all of our hair with a fine toothed comb and put them into buns. My hair is VERY frizzy and poofy, so it worked really well.

Other than those, I try to make up my own styles based on what I see in Victorian era movies. Since I got a perm it has been SO much easier!

Hope that helps!

~Breanna

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  4:59:10 PM  Show Profile
There is a book! It's called Vintage hairstyling Retro styles with step by step techniques by Lauren Rennells.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  5:18:51 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to check out the book. I just have no clue as how to get my hair into those styles and keep them in the styles. I'm sure teasing and probably a lot of hairspray are involved. I have fine hair and a lot of stuff just slides right out of my hair unfortunately.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  5:26:19 PM  Show Profile
I have the book and I love it! There's also a dvd that I'm looking into, I forgot the name of it but I'll find out and let you know.

Also the book gives tips on retro make up and manicures. I think you'd enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  02:11:00 AM  Show Profile
The DVD is called How go be a pin up model, release your inner bombshell by Betinna May and Go Go Amy. It covers hair, make up, and clothing. Both book and DVD can be purchased at Amazon.com.
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Hair Styles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page