Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A Super Bowl vent...really big
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Super Bowl vent...really big Next Topic  

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  7:39:51 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, I have to vent somewhere.

I watched Christina Aquiliera (sp?) sing the Star Spangled Banner and was so offended. I am a direct decendent of Francis Scott Key, who wrote the song originally as a poem. The music was added later.

All she had to do was sing the song straight forward and instead, got all this vocal wrangling. I felt it was more about her than the song!

Then she messes up the lines. I can understand someone who is under pressure doing this but at her professional level (5 time Grammy winner), there isn't an excuse. She should have been better prepared.

Okay, thanks for letting me vent!! I'm still a bit upset!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  7:48:22 PM  Show Profile
I could not wait until it was over. It sounded like a bad audition for American Idol. Yeah Packers!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  8:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Between the National Anthem being butchered and the sound system not working right for the Black Eyed Peas, it wasn't a good night for music on the Super Bowl. Then my team lost. Oh, well.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  8:10:08 PM  Show Profile
I TOTALLY agree!

Made me sick to hear her flub the lines. I know there must be an awful lot of pressure with the media coverage and the enormous amount of people watching, but for the love of Mike; learn the lines and if you aren't sure get some q-cards. Instead of concentrating on the "vocals" and all that "trilling" or whatever it's called she should have by now for goodness sake know the words to our national anthem. It was insulting.....BOO!!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2882 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2882 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  9:15:28 PM  Show Profile
OK I am such a Kristin Chenoweth fan, & I am severely biased
but Winona, I think this rendition will do you proud...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzvIZS_9qM
& yes, Christina's rendition was bad. I hate when they "Diva" up the anthem. ICK!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  11:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Well there ya go!!!

Loved Kristin's version sooooooo much better!

Thank you Lisa.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  05:00:47 AM  Show Profile
Just wish they would sing it the way it is supposed to be sung instead of their renditions and please remember the words!!

Happy though my team won Yes I was for the Pack. If the Vikings can't be there will go for next in line.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  05:07:32 AM  Show Profile
Yes I have to agree. It was so terrible. I told my husband she did not get the lines right. He said it would go down in history as the world's worst one yet.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  06:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, I'm going to be a fly in the honey, here, but the reason they have people like Christina Aquilera, as opposed to say, Kristin Chenowith, or other broadway, opera or classically trained singers who could execute the National Anthem incredibly is because the masses watch the superbowl--and the masses listen to top 40 radio, and would go "who's this?" so you can expect this year after year after year....it's about personality over quality. I'm not saying that Christina can't sing--she can, but it's in that way that works on radio.

I'm elitist, and I make no bones about it--as a classically trained ballerina, I learn to expect very little from the producers of the Super Bowl...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2882 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2882 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile
But what about the guy who sang for 2 of the payoff games?.. Big belting traditional version & I don't even know his name. EVERYONE loved it...
But I'm with you. The SUper Bow does nothing for me. We had it on becasue Jim was laying flooring & I of course wanted to make him happy whilst doing an icky job.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  07:03:17 AM  Show Profile
i thought she stunk! she makes plenty of american dollars$$$, but she doesn't know the words to our (and HER OWN!) national anthem?? and like someone else said....she's a professional, used to large crowds.... and as far as the half time show....my husband said it reminds him of "The Emperor's New Clothes!" no singing, just yelling/or calling out sentences----and the publicists of these groups have the world convinced that these people actually have some talent. But i did like the 'lighted-up people'---they did that almost as well as the chinese at the opening of the olympics in china!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  07:32:04 AM  Show Profile
There are plenty of popular singers that know when a song should not be messed with, so you can have personality and quality!!! Some songs are just not to be messed with and this is one of them.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  08:13:14 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Kathy-This is OUR National Anthem-Take the time to learn the words-Show Respect and GET the WORDS RIGHT!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  08:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Yes!! Ms. Chenowith is the perfect singer for this anthem!

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

hikoryhill
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Gail
North Royalton Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  09:33:12 AM  Show Profile
I too thought it was disrespective of our National Anthem. Not just forgetting the words but her presentation of it lacked class.
I am a country music fan and would pick Martina McBride to have done justice to the song. She has a beautiful natural voice.

May our life be as beautiful as the flowers that we grow!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  1:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Even I as a non American cringed when I saw it on Youtubew. IMO every anthem of every country should be sung with respect. Learn the words at least and don't overdo it with the "trilling" and the high notes

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  4:33:40 PM  Show Profile
My son and I were talking about this subject this afternoon. We both think the National Anthem should be played by a military band and sung with the utmost respect. He played the Sousaphone(sp) (kinka like a tuba) in the band in Highschool and played it many times. He also sung it at the beginning of a race of some kind in Oakland Ca while he lived out there. He sang it without accompanyment (don't know how to spell aucapella). Hard to sing, however you do it. But it can be done.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  5:08:00 PM  Show Profile
Did you know she got paid to sing it. From what they said on the radio today it is quite a bit of money. Alot of people were calling in saying she should give the money back! Interesting!! I thought well she is from the X generation when flags and prayers were taking out of the classrooms when hands were placed over the heart to say the pledge of eligence. So she grew up in a non patriotic world. So I thought well maybe she does'nt even know the words to the pledge of Eligence. But my sister in law said she grew up in a military family.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  5:37:35 PM  Show Profile
I also watched from youtube at this and thought, god, even I know the words and I wasn't in chorus.

As for her growing up in a non-pariotic world, I do have to disagree... in a way. She and I actually grew up about 5 miles apart just north of Pittsburgh PA... thats where the similarity ends, when she was around 12 she left and became a disney brat for mickey mouse club. In '99 she started with the 'genie in a bottle' it was a big problem to play that song in North Allegheny (the school district she left) I remembered the stories of how people refused to dance to her music at the dances because she turned her back on Pittsburgh. When she went to Disney that is when she lost her roots.

But you would think if you have been singing professionally for 18+ years you would at least know the Star Spangled Banner.

Here is a bit of background from Wikipedia about her and some info about her singing Star Spangled Banner's

Aguilera was born in Staten Island, New York, to Fausto Wagner Xavier Aguilera, a sergeant in the US Army at the time, and Shelly Loraine (née Fidler), a Spanish teacher. Aguilera's father was born in Guayaquil, Ecuador[22] and her mother is of German, Irish, Welsh, and Dutch ancestry.[23] Her father was stationed at Earnest Harmon Air Force Base in Stephenville, Newfoundland and Labrador and Japan. Aguilera lived with both her father and mother, up until their divorce when she was seven years old. Aguilera then lived with her mother, and her younger sister Rachel, at her grandmother's home in Rochester, Pennsylvania, a town outside Pittsburgh. According to both Aguilera and her mother, her father was very controlling, as well as physically and emotionally abusive. In an interview with Rolling Stone Aguilera revealed, "there was so much domestic violence going on when I grew up with my dad travelling in the military. I think the reason that my drive was so strong and I was so passionate about music was because I grew up in an environment of domestic violence."[24] She later sang about her difficult childhood in the songs "I'm OK" on Stripped, and "Oh Mother" on Back to Basics. Although her father has written to Aguilera, she has ruled out any chance of reuniting with him.[25] Since then, her mother has married a paramedic named Jim Kearns, and has changed her name.[26]

As a child, Aguilera aspired to be a singer. She was known locally as "the little girl with the big voice", singing in local talent shows and competitions.[27] She attended Marshall Middle School near Wexford and North Allegheny Intermediate High School until she was later home schooled. On March 15, 1990, she appeared on Star Search singing "A Sunday Kind of Love", but lost the competition at number 2. Soon after losing on Star Search, she returned home and appeared on Pittsburgh's KDKA-TV's Wake Up With Larry Richert to perform the same song. Throughout her youth in Pittsburgh, Aguilera sang "The Star-Spangled Banner" before Pittsburgh Penguins hockey, Pittsburgh Steelers football and Pittsburgh Pirates baseball games, including during the 1992 Stanley Cup Finals.[28] Following her television appearances Aguilera experienced resentment and bullying from her peers including an incident in which her peers slashed the tires on her family's car.[29] Aguilera recalls, "doing what I did and maybe being a little smaller, I was definitely picked on and bullied for the attention that I got. It was definitely unwanted attention and there was a lot of unfairness about it."[30]

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Aguilera

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  7:27:19 PM  Show Profile
Shoot, I had to ask my Dh who that was singing the National Anthem, I guess I don't
listen to the top 40's.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  11:38:42 AM  Show Profile
I might be in the monority here but I don't think she did it to be deliberately disrespectful and I'm not going to hold it against the girl,I think she made a big mistake,it happens to alot of people with this song,even if they know it by heart,it just happens,I don't think it makes them less of an American for it,just human.
Immediately Roseanne Barr comes to mind as someone who was deliberately disrespectful when she screeched it out,grabbed her crotch and spit a good number of years ago,now that was what i would call way out of line.
As far as Christina,I'm not a fan of her or her type of music but I'm sure she's very embarassed and cringing every time it's replayed or she hears people scathing about it,I imagine it's not fun to be her right now.
As far as who can sing the anthem well,go to any rodeo and you will almost always hear our anthem sang beautifully by someone,male or female in a cowboy hat,sitting on a horse with thier hand aroung a flagpole,that suits me better than any big celebrity singing this song,that is a lovely example of moving patriotism,what could be more American?

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  6:29:19 PM  Show Profile
I don't think she did it to be disrespectful but, as I said, at her professional level, there isn't any excuse. If she were a non-pro and made a mistake, that's different. I hope she is embarrassed and ashamed and acts in a professional mannerr next time. Hopefully next year the powers that be pick someone who will just sing the song and make it about the song and not about themselves.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  6:32:44 PM  Show Profile
Even picking Roseann, you know you're going to get a joke of a song. Not so with Christina. Upon hearing her name a person would think they would get a great song.

Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  10:50:15 AM  Show Profile
she got PAID to sing?!! i thought maybe being a big star (with lots of $$) they did it for the honor so-to-speak. after all, the super bowl is a big deal in our country. that makes me think she's even more of a jerk. she was paid to do a job and evidently didn't think it worth the time to "practice" in order to do the job well. doesn't make me think much of her. let alone the other stuff....
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Would it make everyone feel better just to string her up and burn her for it?
It's obvious that alot of people want to be angry about this and will justify thier anger and harsh judgements any way they can and dig up any reason to crucify and further critique someone who just simply made a mistake,professional or otherwise,these things happen and I think the judgemental,outraged mob mentality in America is scary anymore.
I'm very patriotic,I have seen my Husband deploy to Iraq and I have been one of those teenage girls sitting on my horse in a rodeo arena or pow-wow singing the National Anthem in opening ceremonies,good thing I never made a mistake and was among good old country people and Natives that probably wouldn't string me and my horse up for it if I had!
I have better things to blog about than someone who might have offended my sensibilities,there's sure alot of social injustice and other harsh realities of life that would be more deserving of comment!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  12:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, it would appear that you have ample time on your hands, what with your well crafted argument about patriotism. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, as you are yours, but, I think comparing these gals to an outraged mob mentality is just crass.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Super Bowl vent...really big Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page