Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 "The Real Dirt on Farmer John" -documentary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic "The Real Dirt on Farmer John" -documentary Next Topic  

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  5:58:51 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Have any of you seen the new documentary "Farmer John"? I have heard that it is great. It was released in theaters on a limited basis in 4/06. Someone told me that it has been shown on some PBS stations.

It was filmed in Boone County, Illinois where I was born in the 50's so I suspect that Farmer John might be one of my contemporaries!

Connie
Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  04:49:06 AM  Show Profile
no, I havent seen it but will look for it, sounds great.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Boxbreaker
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Tia
Lancing TN
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  06:04:50 AM  Show Profile
It was great! I blogged about it at the time (www.sixredheads.com) and I hope it reairs because I think there has been more buzz about it *after* than before! He was an inspiration for the evolution of the modern farm!

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people because they enact their dreams into reality with eyes wide open.
Go to Top of Page

Lacy
True Blue Farmgirl

114 Posts

Lacy
Dallas Texas
114 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  11:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Lacy an AOL message
it was great! I really enjoyed it.... felt like it told the truth about now HARD it is to farm and how rewarding..

http://farmaspirations.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  3:51:33 PM  Show Profile
I heard him interviewed on NPR. I would love to see the movie. I'm hoping it shows up on netflix.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2006 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile
I think what Farmer John is trying to express to the public is great. I'm sure that he's endured lots of criticism for his switch to organic farming. Especially since he's in the middle of farm country where chemicals are the norm. But I have to tell ya that I think the guy is a little weird -- plowing the fields in leopard fabric and a feather boa is a little out there for my taste!

"But as for me & my house we will serve the LORD!" Joshua 24:15

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  10:28:11 PM  Show Profile
Unusual...yes, but he sure gets your attention! I just saw that Barnes and Noble was featuring his cookbook and how did I notice?
He is posed Grant Wood style w/ pitchfork on the cover...wearing his boa ( and I think big Elton John glasses). What I found so disheartening was that the neighbors who had known him his whole life turned so hateful and unkind. He is a testament to perserverance, tenacity, being true to himself and his commitment to the evolution of farming in order to survive.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic "The Real Dirt on Farmer John" -documentary Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page