Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic ousted from my job Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  04:56:04 AM  Show Profile
I just dropped my daughter off at school. there's a pep assembly today, the band plays, I should be there working, up until now I was the Flag Corps advisor. But no more. I got an email, not a phone call, an email, telling me someone's parent complained about how we had tryouts set up and without any discussion, questions or talk, I'm out. Just like that. I have done this for four years. I really liked it. the girls complain a lot and cause a lot of drama but I thought I was doing a fairly good job, the drama was decreasing, the squad was growing, I am still in shock. I feel so humiliated and betrayed. I've known the band director for like 15 years, how could he do this without even talking to me ? I know I'm just a supplemental employee but still...did nothing I accomplish over the last four seasons mean anything ?
I suppose everything happens for a reasonand maybe it was just time for me to move on, but this hurts

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  05:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Ouch! That certainly wasn't a mature way for the band director to handle this. I have been the vice president of our PTO for the past few years and I am always amazed how often parents complain and yet never off to help. I'm so sorry for you since you enjoy this. I'll be praying for you and sending farmgirl hugs.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  05:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Almost as bad as a post it note! So sorry to hear that, you must feel betrayed and confused. I am confounded by parents. It is just not fair to you. Lets see how they do without you. Sending you a hug.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  05:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Well, that was not right. But I hear emails are the way people are doing lots of things these days. Not right at all. I am so sorry this has happened. But if I were you I would go have a nice little chat with this fella. And soon. I would want to know exactly why this happened. And see if there is any way to rectify the situation. Because right now it's just way up in the air and here you are wondering what in the heck just happened.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  06:17:11 AM  Show Profile
i agree with the girls here. i would go in and ask for an explanation. i would also want to see the parents that complained. you have a right by law to defend your actions. i hope you can get it rectified. so sorry for you. it must have been an awful thing to find in an email. so sorry for you sherry

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  06:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Pat,
I am SOOOOO sorry to hear this. I KNOW EXACTLY how you feel because I went through a HORRENDOUS situation in a job I had at a public school. It was a full-time job and I had given this district 9 years, 7 years in that position. In my case it was an administrator . . . and it is unbelieveable what he was allowed to do. I learned a LOT about school politics, the "good ole boys" club and the spinelessness and lack of character and integrity.

I was not the only staff member at that school who suffered at his hand and, no, there was no help from the central/district administration. I chose to leave at the end of the school year and my contract year. I worked with 3 different administrators, my last 4 years with this particular one and it was a steady downhill run. I should have left a year earlier than I did.

I wish I could offer some help, because I KNOW how that hurts. But I can pray for you and that you'll be given the wisdom you need for the direction you need to go.

Pray I will do . . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  07:04:29 AM  Show Profile
pat.. a hug...a prayer...an i'm sorry are all i can offer right now- oh! and an "it sucks!"

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  07:07:22 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, that bites. I'm so sorry. From what I understand, parents are the main problem in schools...I really don't understand "why" you weren't given an opportunity to discuss this openly, or why the school didn't address this as a panel?

So sorry.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry this happened. One of my children is a teacher and school politics are unbelievable. Hugs.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6614 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6614 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Patrica I am so sorry, that was uncalled for telling through and email, not nice. But, there must be something else around the corner for you as things happen for a reason. I know how it hurts and the pain will heal in time. You have all your Farm Girl Sisters here for you so it is great to lean on us. Have a beautiful day and do not let this get you down, pick yourself up and move on. You are a good person and you gave of yourself for 4 years, you have left a part of you with each of those girls.

Hugs, Prayers & Blessings,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  08:48:22 AM  Show Profile
That is so unfair. My girlfriend lost her job after 24 years when she asked why a new girl doing the same job was getting paid more than her. They just said it's not your business & your services are no longer needed.

It's because of things like that that I like unions.
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:43:39 AM  Show Profile
You were most likely told through email because the band director couldn't face you. It blows my mind how much power some parents have over school administrators. Most administrators would rather hurt your feelings than deal with listening to unhappy parents, regardless if their complaints have any merit. It is a shame and my heart goes out to you. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. You know what they say... When one door closes, God opens a window.
Big, big hugs...

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Wow! How unprofessional! You should never ever fire an employee or break up with a boyfriend/girlfriend via email or text message!

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  11:20:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my word! I am stunned at the very least that they handled this in this manner! I would be furious! And heartbroken too! *Hugs* I am so sorry that they treated you this way.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  11:46:27 AM  Show Profile
So Sorry you are dealing with this. Farmgirl hugs and support!! Hope you can get some closure for yourself with this.

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  11:58:26 AM  Show Profile
Act like you didn't get the email and go in to do your job. That will make him face what he did. That is a horrible thing to do to you. Email and text is so impersonal and becoming the easy way to handle all situations. It is very sad. Sorry you had that happen. It reminds us all that whoever is on the other end of what we have to say is a person too and has feelings and should be treated with some respect.

Hugs

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Farmgirl hugs!
How can you run a tryout the wrong way.... seriously you get in or you don't. There was one year I was amazed I got in, dropped my flag twice on drill and did a helicopter toss instead of a stir the pot... oops

I would find out who the new instructor is and show up at every pep rally and football game, making myself known, just to scare her a bit... its a bit mean but you can always claim you are worried about the integrity of the squad.

Good Luck

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
So sorry for you. Don't blame yourself in any way. You know you did a good job so don't let them bring you down. Easy to say but I have been there also and it turned out to be a huge blessing. God is in control and He always wins! Hugs and farmsister love coming your way...Prayers too!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile
That's awful! Take it as a blessing in disguise. Either there will be a change of heart when they notice your talents are missed and they will beg you to come back. Or they are truly unprofessional people and aren't worth working with in the first place. In which case you have been given an opportunity to leave without incident rather than having them make a big commotion that further belittles your good work. Sorry you have to deal with this but keep your chin up and smile!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  1:46:07 PM  Show Profile
thanks girls for all your support and farmgirl hugs. it means a lot to me. I just feel so betrayed and hurt. there must be a reason, maybe there is something else around the corner for me.
These girls have been difficult to handle anyway and there have been so much drama to deal with. I thought we were making headway and I was trying to teach them to behave like ladies and how to handle conflict and talk to the person who you are upset with not gossip all over school. But the band director has trained them that when things don't go like they want, they complain to him and he in turn complains to me about how I do the job. He's the problem actually.
thanks again for the support, it does make me feel better
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic ousted from my job Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page