Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic chili suggestions, please. Next Topic  

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  2:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok, we all have the chili recipes handed down from family. I have three. My husband said he was in the mood for chili. I really like chili also, but the the three recipes I have, I am NOT in love with. I like any level of heat. My hubby wants it HOT, but only 2 out of 4 of the kids can take any best at all. I have found it best to add the extra kick to half the batch, and finish cooking in two crocks. But the base, the flavors and textures of the chilis I've tried to make are missing something.

Do any of you have a chili recipe you swear by? I don't even want to go to the effort of making the same old chili again....

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  8:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll

Annette,, I am no great cook but my mother was and she could turn out a great pot of chili. She would brown the ground beef (1 lb) and 1 diced onion in the same pan then drain the grease off. Then she would put in 3 cans of diced tomatoes and 3 cans of dark red kidney bean (she sometimes used the light red kidneys). Then simmered it all up with a 1/3 cup of chili powder and some garlic powder and a bay leaf or two. She would add cumin sometimes (I like that in it) and then simmer it along time, like half a day. I stole some along the way coz I couldn't help myself....it is so good....I like mine really spicy so I add tabasco. She would always make a pan of cornbread to go with it. Ok I'm making chili tomorrow, thanks for the push!

If you try this recipe please let me know how you like it....my mother is no longer here but I always smile when I make it. Its called Jackie's Chili.

Love and Prayers,
Your SISTER
Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  06:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks. I need to run to the market, and when I try it, I'll let you know! My DH and kids live chili. So I'd love to have a multitude of recipes. Glad you're going to make dome tomorrow if it will make you smile.(((hugs)))

http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  09:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Annette, I use 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 can of Ranchstyle Beans per pound of meat. At christmas I make a 6 lb batch. I add onions and garlic. I have used several different combinations of spices. Williams chili seasoning is good as is Penzey. I also add cumin, mexican oregano, sometimes coffee, beer, cocoa, mustard, well, you name it. I use tomato juice if it seems too thick. Or to make it go furthur. We love it with fritos grated cheese and dill pickles. I just got a container of chili out of the freezer for supper tonight. Going to have Cincinatti chili. That is chili over angle hair pasta. Oh Yum.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:36:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Annette,

I too have tried many recipes. My husband LOVES this one :) It is very tasty but please note: not low in calories :)

Meat Lovers Chili

3 slices bacon, chopped
1 pound Italian Sausage (Mild or hot)
1 pound Ground Beef
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 (16 ounce) cans Italian Tomatoes (I used regular 1 crushed & 1 diced and added 1 tsp. oregano)
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
½ teaspoon dry mustard
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ cup cooking sherry (optional, but does make a difference)

Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon to a bowl with a slotted spoon, discarding the pan drippings. Add the sausage, ground beef, onions, garlic and jalapeno to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until the sausage and ground beef is brown and crumbly; stirring constantly; drain. Spoon sausage mixture into a slow cooker sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

Add the bacon, undrained tomatoes, undrained kidney beans, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard and black pepper to the slow cooker and mix well. Cook on low for 8-14 hours or until of the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in cooking sherry just before serving. Ladle into soup bowls.

Yield: 6 servings

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  11:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
These all look wonderful. I think with my hubby being the one to request chili, I'll try one I think he will be the fondest of...LOTS OF MEAT!!! I am not sure I can go wrong with bacon AND sausage?!? ;)

I think I'll try the lower caloric recipes when he is out of town, and then maybe combine a few of these, to make *our* version? This is exciting. New stuff to try! Yay! Thanks for sharing your kitchens!!(((hugs)))

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:16:02 PM  Show Profile
I always add beef Chorizo (find it in the meat department)after browning the ground beef, it gives it that authentic mexican flavor. And dried pinto beans soaked overnight and added after the tomatoes. The dried beans have more flavor and a better texture then canned according to my family.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  04:02:07 AM  Show Profile
Beings I'm a Cincinnati native, I make our chili cincinnati style...

Cumin, cinnamom, cyanne pepper, worchester sauce, cocoa powder (yes, you read correctly) ground cloves

All this is seasoned to taste

I also use v-8 spicy blend as a part of the tomato base

Try you chili over spahgetti with diced onions if you like and cheese

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  07:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Cocoa powder will help cut acidity in anything that has tomatoes. I sometimes had a little to spaghetti sauce.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  07:17:24 AM  Show Profile
love the recipes a lot. might make some chili today. this inspired me. i use cocoa in many things. especially soups. a small amount deepens the flavor of the soup and adds smoothness. in the food business we used cocoa sugar and butter to balance flavors in foods. just a thought. all the recipes sound so good. hard to pick one. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  10:59:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I'm so beyond hungry for chili now!! See what my DH started?!? I can't choose! Think I'm going to try to print this page, put it down on the counter, and just throw a bit of everything in!! It will be like a clondike soup, or real minestrone. A pot with everything in it! Lol. Oh dear, what do I do now? I'm laughing at myself, not knowing what I'm going to cook, while at the same time, I know I'm going to make chili....

Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  11:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I have a pot simmering on my stove now. My rule is make it the day before and let the flavors marry. It tastes much better that way. I use 1 - 2 lbs. of ground beef - depending on how much we want. Brown it, rinse and drain well. I saute my onions in a bit of butter & olive oil. Cooking them before adding them to the chili makes it all the better - you get the sweetness of the carmelization. I usually add a couple of cloves of garlic to the onions as they are cooking. I used 2-3 cans each of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. I add chili powder, a dash of red pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. I like pinto beans rather than kidneys - but use light red kidneys if that's what I have. I pre-cook my beans and freeze (from amother post) and just add a package of whatever I have - including black beans if that's what I grab. For a little heat, you may substitute one of the diced tomatoes with a rotel type mix. We like spice, but not heat. And, you can always give him a bottle of tabasco and tell him to go for it! Another thing you may try is adding a bit of chipotle pepper and adobo sauce. It's a great smokey taste and it will definitely add some heat. Good luck and happy eating!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic chili suggestions, please. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page