Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  05:42:39 AM  Show Profile
Ladybugs have been getting in my Kitchen. I don't know where they are coming in at. Every other day I see one and catch it and put her outside. This morning I had 2 above my stove. This time I decided to leave them and see what happens. Very strange I have never had ladybugs in my house...I wonder if it is a sign like good luck is coming my way!! Oh well love the ladybugs!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Dorinda,

I have ladybugs too. I live in the pine belt and here ladybugs are bred and released to destroy the pine beetles that will otherwise kill our trees. They like to winter in warm places. I'll find them nestled in the "wrinkles" of my curtains, corners of a room, or any other little niche they can find. I've always had a fondness for them, so I pretty much just let them be. I've never figured out where they go. They just seem to eventually disappear. I know plenty die - I find them in my window sills and other places, but never in the ammounts I usually see. Maybe they do bring us good luck. They make me smile, in any case!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Not to rain on your parade, but are you sure they are ladybugs? Around here we have Asain beetles, they look a lot like ladlybugs
but they stink. They can become a serious problem. They usually come out of the corn and bean fields after harvest.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:11:28 PM  Show Profile
If you would like to get rid of them here is how...
1/2 bottle rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons dish soap
Put into an empty spray bottle and fill the rest with water. Shake before use and spray them, they will die in a few minutes.

I also keep a concentrate version with no water in a jelly jar on my kitchen table and drop stink bugs in. Kills them in about 30 seconds and they don't stink, as long as you keep the jar sealed up.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  1:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Susan, we have some kind of beetls here too that are not lady bugs. Ours are a wierd color, dk orange. They bite!! They get in everywhere. Don't know how they get in. The motorhome is swarming with them. Well, not now, they all froze. But they will be back.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  5:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Belle, Those are Mexican Wood Beetles. They are such a pest around here!!

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  03:49:29 AM  Show Profile
Don't kill them! They are a beneficial bug!! To get rid of them is very easy. Take an old pair of pantyhose or a pair of knee-highs, slip the foot section into your vacuum cleaner hose, being sure to secure the rest on the outside of the hose, you don't want to suck it into the vacuum cleaner now simply vacuum up the lady bugs as you find them. Take the pantyhose and place it in a cool place like your barn or garage, where they will be sheltered from the elements. In the spring simply release them again.

We get tons, and I mean tons of them each fall as they search out a place to hide for winter. Keeps them out of the house and safe until springtime. . . then they reward us by eating all the bad bugs that would otherwise cause great harm.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  07:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Belle,
The ones getting in my kitchen are like a medium orange color but they do not bite..Hum now you ladies have me thinking they might be some kind of beetle. Well I will just keep catching them and releasing them outside. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I want get to many coming in.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ladybugs in the Kitchen!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page