Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Getting diesel/grease out of clothes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting diesel/grease out of clothes Next Topic  

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:16:02 AM  Show Profile
My husband was a mechanic but he still fixes all of our own vehicles. He accidentally got diesel fuel on his clothes. I washed them with my own laundry soap from the recipe I got off the forum (the dry powder kind but I used Fels instead of castile). Well the smell didn't come out. Anything else I can do to get the smell out naturally? Before I could get a heavy duty detergent but I don't have any more and I don't want to buy it again because it's not natural.

I am going green so I need to find natural/organic alternatives to getting the grease and fuel smells out of his clothes.

Any advice? Thanks :)

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  09:24:45 AM  Show Profile
I use Oxyclean (or Kroger's version of it) which if I understand correctly is a powdered form of peroxide. You might want to check that. I add the Oxyclean to my dry homemade detergent when I mix it up. I also use Dr. Bronner's castile soap in mine. The combination gets out all the smells from my fiance's work shirts (he's a mechanic/machinist) so he's into this stuff daily.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  2:02:58 PM  Show Profile
I checked in a book I have "Talking Dirty Laundry with the Queen of Clean." No specific instructions for diesel, but does have instructions for gasoline. It says to use a product named Odorzout which she says is 100% natural. www.88stink.com Looks like they sell it at some Ace Hardware and some Bed Bath and Behond and on-line. Also she recommends 20 Mule Team Borax as a general odor remover. Book says to just follow the directions on the box for odor removal. I don't have a box here or I'd look for you. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1501 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1501 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  6:37:53 PM  Show Profile
You can also try pre-treating petroleum based stains with a heavy duty citrus hand cleaner like GoJo or Fast Orange. I use this to dissolve the grease on my coveralls before I put them in the washer and it works very well.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  11:42:13 AM  Show Profile
My husband used to work with the crew of a forestry company mixing fuel to start slash burns. Another wife told me to wash his clothing with a cup of Simple Green to cut the grease/fuel and to get the smell out. After washing, I would hang the clothes instead of using the dryer. If it was warm enough, I would hang them outside. It worked!
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  06:34:59 AM  Show Profile
When my hubby gets grease or diesel on his clothes, I pour a can of Coke in the wash, let it sit for 15ish minutes and then run the load. Seems to work really well. This was something my MIL told me to do.

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  07:42:43 AM  Show Profile
{grimace} Really makes you not want to put Coke in your stomach! :-)
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  6:19:03 PM  Show Profile
btw cke is also get for cleaning toilet bowls???UGH
not drink that stuff..but i do clean with it.

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  07:14:52 AM  Show Profile
I didn't even think to add Coke in the wash! It's good for getting rust stains off.... So many good idea's! I will give them a try and hopefully I can get the diesel smell out of his clothes! Thanks so much!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  12:34:42 PM  Show Profile
My mom always used Lestoil. It's a heavy duty cleaner and degreaser. Not natural though, but works. My hubby is an excavator and is always coming home greasy or oily or dirty. I've used it on really bad grease stains and it works. It also helps with cat urine too. I let the load soak awhile or overnight then run it through then run the load with reagular detergent.

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Getting diesel/grease out of clothes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page