Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What is the secret to good jam?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is the secret to good jam? Next Topic  

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  1:34:39 PM  Show Profile
Last year I made strawberry, cherry and blackberry jam using sure-gel and the recipe on the box. In some the fruit floated, some is too sweet and some is too thick. What is the secret to good tasting, pretty jam?

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  3:15:00 PM  Show Profile
I love, love, love to make jam! Here's some tips: Use a spatula to "mop up" some of the foam off the top of the jam before putting it in your jars, and run a clean, small knife around the edges of the inside of the filled jars before putting the tops on. How much sugar are you using? I like to use low-sugar pectin with four cups of sugar as opposed to the regular pectin with seven cups of sugar. Also, make sure your fruit is ripe, but not too ripe. Hope this helps!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  3:38:37 PM  Show Profile
To stop the floating fruit - when you remove the jam mixture from the stove, wait five minutes, stir it well, and then fill your jars.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  4:41:49 PM  Show Profile
My mother-in-law and I make raspberry jam every other summer or so and have always used the recipe in the pectin box, we thought we were making the best jam in the world - everyone loves it. However I used the recipe from the Ball Blue Book for some frozen raspberries this winter and it beats it hands down, the recipe used less sugar and no pectin and the jam tasted like fresh picked raspberries - it was amazing.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  04:08:27 AM  Show Profile
My mom and my grandma said to always use cane sugar, not beet sugar. Don't know what difference it makes, I always used cane because Momma said to.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for the "floating fruit" tip. I have had good luck using the recipes on the boxes of Sure-Jel, but I much prefer using the liquid pectin to the powdered. I don't have to worry about lumps that way. And, I've always just used plain old cane sugar from the grocery store. Never had a problem with it. Hope some of these tips help you - I know they're helping me!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  04:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Have been a jam 'n jelly maker for over 11 years now. Hard to believe. Folks say it's all so tasty and addicting. Started out using luquid pectin, either Certo or Ball depending what is stocked and figure if it 'aint broke, don't fix it

I keep strawberry in stock all the time 'cause that's all my DH eats and is my #1 seller.

My personal favirite is red raspberry jam. Got inspired to try this when the health food store was charging 8.00 for less than a pint and figured I could do better that this

For all my jams and jellies, I put a squirt of lemon juice in the mix while I'm waiting for it to boil. Some recipes call for using this all the time depending on the acidity or not. I like to use it so the fruit keeps its pretty color for longer.

I make raspberry , strawberry , and blueberry jams, and wild blackberry jelly.

Have shipped as far as Rhode Island, so the only thing lacking now is fundage for that pretty stainless steel kitchen!
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  4:48:01 PM  Show Profile
After I starting making Ball freezer Strawberry jam, the family won't eat the cooked. So easy and you get the fresh taste of strawberrys.
I also take a dip to social functions that everyone ask for the recipe. It is 1 pkg of Phil. Cream cheese mixed with 1 jar marshmellow cream. Serve with a bowl of Ball Freezer Stawberry jam. Use Ritz crackers to dip...taste like strawberry cream pie.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is the secret to good jam? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page