Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pregnant Foods Next Topic  

hawkin_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Micah
Austin Texas
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Send hawkin_farmgirl an AOL message  Send hawkin_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Well, I've been MIA lately. We've been dealing with my husband's sick grandmother and last week her funeral in Mississippi. But its a relief because she's not suffering anymore. But on a happier note, we found out right before Christmas that I'm pregnant! I'm 11 weeks pregnant now and my biggest concern is food.

I've had the weird cravings and the "morning" (more like all day!) sickness. I'm getting over being nauseous all the time, so my eating options are more open. At first, I was so sick my OBGYN told me to keep hydrated and eat what I can keep down. Anything would be better than nothing. Well some days, that included salads with no meat, and other days fast food. So now I'm trying to get back on track with a good diet. I feel like I'm getting enough protein and carbs, but not enough veggies. I eat TONS of fruit and I'll usually fix myself some sort of cooked chicken or eggs for lunch. Then I'll snack on some cheese, raw veggies, or nuts. And I feel so bloated most of the time that I eat very small portions randomly throughout the day.

So my question to ya'll is this... Do ya'll have any good veggie recipes for pregnant women? Squash is the only thing I can't stand right now. But everything else is fair game. Any suggestions would be great.

I'm going to the farmer's market tomorrow to stock up on stuff. I know they sell raw chesses and I would love some. But aren't raw cheeses unsafe for pregnant women? As you can see, I need all the help I can get!

*Micah*
Farmgirl Sister #1478

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:41:42 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the pregnancy and hugs for the loss in the family. I don't know much about what is safe for pregnancy, it has been a long time ago for me. I am sure some other FG can help though.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  7:10:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Micah,

Beets are very good for pregnant women. Iron, fiber, antioxidants, good for the liver, kidneys, and more! The easiest way to fix them is to remove the greens, which you can then steam, add to soups, etc. Then put the whole, clean beets, with the clean stub of the top, and also the tail, still attached, in the crock pot. Add 1/2 cup water and cook on low for about 8 hours. When done and cool enough to handle, any blemished or unwanted areas of the beet are easily removed. Don't do so many at a time that you can't eat them all in 5 days or so. They are then ready to eat, to slice cold on salads, to dress with vinagrette, etc.

A really easy way to cook veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, zuchinni, etc, is in the oven. Heat the oven to about 425. Toss the veggies with olive oil and sea salt, to taste. Roast in the oven for 15-22 minutes, stirring from time to time if you can. You can use a stainless steel baking sheet, or a cast enamel type pot, or a pyrex- just experiment and try to keep a single layer of veggies. You will quickly figure out which sizes to cut which veggies, which pans to use, and what cooking times are best. If in doubt, check after 10 or 12 minutes.

You can really roast just about any vegetable this way, but when it comes to root veggies, I actully like to chop up everything under the sun, from potatoes,carrots, beets, turnips, parsnips, celery root, onions, etc, and toss with the olive oil, sea salt, some butter , herbs and spices to taste ( (rosemary, thyme, garlic, paprika, anise seed, fennel, etc) cover with foil, and bake at around 400 for 30 minutes. Fill up a pyrex dish- this is not a single layer recipe. Check doneness, set timer again if needed, maybe 10 minutes at a time. Remove foil once veggies are almost done enough and you can just brown them. At this point, throw on a little balsamic and soy sauce, if that appeals.

Greens of all sorts can be sauteed in a little olive oil briefly, then left to steam in a bit of water, with the lid on. I probably add about 1/2 cup water or less, unless cooking kale, maybe a bit more. Check after about 3 minutes- see what type heat you need, and how little water you can use. Everyone's stove is different, but I saute on med, them turn my heat down a bit to finish the "steaming."
I hope these few ideas will be helpful!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  7:12:48 PM  Show Profile
PS

Soft cheeses are thought to be unsafe in pregnancy- I ate raw cheese when I was pregnant, and without bucking the system too much- I do think raw cheese should be safe for pregnant moms.
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  06:50:29 AM  Show Profile
Raw products are considered by some to be unsafe, but are more of a personal choice. Keep in mind we are the only country in the world who says things like that. In our country if a single person has ill effects from something we try to completely outlaw it. Other countries will investigate the situation and usually find it was a fluke situation, not worth dumping the health benefits over. Raw cheeses are much healthier for you and easier on your body than processed ones.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  11:54:43 AM  Show Profile
You and me are in this together Hawkin, I am just passed the 14 week mark. As for raw cheeses its a personal decision, not looked happily on by many american doctors. I would say get a tiny bit and see how it goes if you don't feel right afterwards don't eat it again. I am just leaving morning sickness, I am down to two zofran pills a day. For about a month I lived on Gatorade and toast, I was able to move to potatoes and eggs, which then made potatoe salad, now I can eat small amounts of things, but it is hit and miss.

Each baby is different, my first I couldn't look at raw meat, now I can "handle" meat but now raw chicken. The first I was sick between the hours of 9 to 10 in the morning and that was it. This one has had me in and out of the hospital with dehydration and more sonagrams than I can fit on one hand. It will get to the point where you can eat anything I promise.

Plus as the doctor says, being sick means the baby is developing really good.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

hawkin_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Micah
Austin Texas
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Send hawkin_farmgirl an AOL message  Send hawkin_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I totally forgot about roasting the veggies. That should help a bunch and break things up for me.

And Emily, that was my doctor's biggest worry, was me becoming dehydrated. I too have been living on Gatorade and toast. I've never been so happy to eat an egg in all my life! This is our first and needless to say, its been an adventure. And all I can say is, bless my husband. He has been such a trooper!

*Micah*
Farmgirl Sister #1478
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:40:11 PM  Show Profile
You know those eggs you cook in the morning? Throw some veggies in and make an omlet. I have frozen stuff from this summer and cut it fine and in the pan it goes. You can always add a touch of cheese here too. Do you make soups? I love the crockpot. You can pile in the veggies, beans, meat, whatever you want. I love veggies and even add them when I make spaghetti. Fry up a little onion, greens, broccoli, whatever I have and layer it over the pasta. I'm using rice pasta but it's the same idea. Spinach is a great veggie so if you only buy a few find some frozen organic. It can be added to everything and anything. That omlet or soup I mentioned above.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  6:01:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Micah,

Yes, the oven roasting of veggies has saved me time and time again! A particularly good method when too busy to think straight!

Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  7:35:01 PM  Show Profile
Just a note, if you do make soup and you can't stomach the veggies/meat you put in it, you could just eat the broth and it would have soaked up some of the nutrients from everything cooked in it. It would be better than more gatorade and toast, maybe giving you some more variety ;)

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hawkin_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Micah
Austin Texas
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  07:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Send hawkin_farmgirl an AOL message  Send hawkin_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sherri, your suggestion saved me last night! Made a big pot of veggie stew and drank the broth. So much better than Gatorade and toast!

Didn't make it to the farmers' market yesterday. It was just too cold and windy for me. Hoping to be able to get out there Saturday. I'm craving some good cheese!

*Micah*
Farmgirl Sister #1478
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Micah, Congratulations! I've had 3 children, and who the heck named morning sickness must have never had it - morning only? HA! :) I'm a true broth or soup-type, but sometimes that didn't even work. I was told many years ago by a friend to cut open a lemon,,orange or any citrus fruit and hold it to your nose. The aroma should settle your queasy-ness. Other than that, I'd say go with what's good for you (and the baby). Some babies like it when you eat meat, others like veggies, some like it all! After the baby comes, then it's time to east for you!! Good luck!
Enjoy - Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  4:17:55 PM  Show Profile
Micah, wohoo. Glad to hear the broth idea worked for you.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  3:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Try cream of " " soups. Helps keep you hydrated too. The fridge/kitchen and I are no longer on speaking terms. (7 weeks along myself) But I found some great ready-made soups in the whole-foods organic department (carrot, ginger, and cashew..mm!) Ginger helps the queasies (for me). super easy, and the finicky eaters in the family can keep eating their stuff while baby and I are on the healthy track.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pregnant Foods Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page