countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  1:41:10 PM  Show Profile
I never, ever had a cold sore before. I think I am getting one in the corner of my lips. I know they are some form of herpes, and I have no idea how I would have gotten one. How can I naturally get rid of it? Also, how do you get them? They must be catchy somehow or I wouldn't have gotten one. Any advice tips on either of those two questions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:22:26 PM  Show Profile
Not real sure on how they are caught other than someone has one, touches it, touches something you then touch, then you touch your mouth. It's very contagious!

I get them a lot. I put all natural plain yogurt on them, allow to dry, wipe off, then recoat. It takes a few days to get rid of them.

I like the greek yogurt my local krogers store carries. It only list milk as an ingredient. No preservatives, no nothing!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  7:09:11 PM  Show Profile
it is a form of herpes. it is passed through touching and spit. standing to close to someone talking who has it active can get it on you. sounds crazy kinda but true. i must say my naturepath said no nuts. there is a protein in it that herpes loves to eat. not sure could have been taurine sp. anyway i know if i eat nuts during an outbreak it gets worse. we use dry baking soda pack slightly slightly wet so it will stick on the sore. leave as long as you can stand it. helps to dry it up. just one thought. i am sure there are herbs that would help. farmgirls on here probably would have ideas on it. hope it helps some happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:23:16 AM  Show Profile
Wow, crazy how something can be so catchy. I will have to take extra care to be careful about washing my hands in the future. I'm usually pretty good about it, but obviously I missed something!

Angela: I will have to try the yogurt, I usually eat plain organic at least every other day so no prob there!

Sherry: I will have to take a break on the nuts then. I eat them a few times a day... Oh well!

Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:50:29 AM  Show Profile
You can also have them formed from eating too many sweets. Bacteria is everywhere and sugar feeds bacterias. If you had something your body would normally fight off and you wouldn't even notice, but you've had sweets, it can induce a cold sore. It is actually a good sign, it means your body is fighting something off and you probably won't get sick because its coming out in blister form. That is why cold sores are also known as fever blisters. Putting Lanolin on it helps tremendously!
hugs
Jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  08:48:15 AM  Show Profile
I hate cold sores! I didn't have them until I started nursing school, so stress can certainly aggravate them. Also, sunlight is another cause that can make it flair up. From my understanding, almost everyone has this virus, and probably got it from people kissing them when they were young children. It just may take years for the virus to become active, One things that I've found to help is to take an L-lysine supplement, doubling your daily dose when you start to get a sore. Anything that keeps them moist is helpful. I always seem to get a cold sore when I get sick, so anything that strengthens your immune system would also be helpful.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  12:10:31 PM  Show Profile
I just got over having one and i hate it. I have gotten them since i was a child. I take the L-lysine tablets and do double up on them when i feel one coming on and i don't get one. But i ate some chili with HOOOOTTTTT peppers in it and i guess that is how i got it. But my mother in law also had one and was there the night we had the chili so i don't know. I just keep it moist till it scabs over and then i pull the scab off and it isi gone.

I am ready for the warm weather. Bring it on. I am so tired of bein cooped up in the house!!!!
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  08:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
If it's in the corner of your mouth - and will "crack" when you open your mouth wide, it's not a cold-sore, it's a form of a yeast infection. I have an "unusual" system and battle yeast all the time. A prescription Diflucan will eliminate it. I take acidophilous and AZO-yeast daily, along with eating yogurt. Watch your sugar intake. The only thing that has ever relieved mine has been to apply Carmex to it. Burns like the dickens, but will heal it quicker than anything else. Good luck...

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  12:07:34 PM  Show Profile
i get cold sores also. big ones on my bottom lip. as soon as i feel the tingling before its there, i apply a drop of tea tree oil. leave as long as it will stay,rub it in gently. i do it a couple times a day,until its gone. helps with the pain and letting it get to big, which takes forever to go away.
paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  2:18:48 PM  Show Profile
tea tree oil is great for cold sores.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Cold sore's? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page