Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile
So forgive my ignorance, but after reading some other posts, what specifically is raw cheese and where can it be found.

I usually read the labels, and if it only has 3- 4 main ingredients I recognize and no artificial colors, it's a go. Is annato a bad thing? Is that what makes cheese yellow. I checked and all our cheeses are white and they don't have that annato or whatever it is

These days I'll buy cheese from Trader Joes since they carry cheeses from Wisconsin

There is one small place..locally owned... that sells fresh cuts of meat and real butter by the 5 pound tub (too much!!) so if raw cheese is something entirly different, I'll try this place

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  3:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Anna - I run the cheese department at an organic grocery so I feel semi-qualified to answer some of your questions.
Raw cheese is cheese made from raw milk - there are some organic producers that make some varieties as well as some widely available imported varieties, and some artisan creameries as well.
Annatto is a coloring derived from seeds, so basically a natural product.
Organic Valley makes a couple of raw milk cheeses - cheddar types I think. Yancey's Fancy out of New York has some varieties of cheddar that are raw milk as well. Rogue Creamery in Oregon makes raw milk blue cheeses, although you probably don't have access to them where you are at. Emmi, a swiss brand, makes Gruyere that is a raw milk cheese. These should all say either "raw milk", or that they use "fresh milk" on the label in addition Comte, Parmesan Reggiano, Pecorino Romano and some varieties of Manchegos are raw milk cheeses as well. You could probably find those at a gourmet market.
Happy cheese eating!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  03:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Amy!

I bet the taste is night and day for sure!!!

Never thought I was much of a cheese-head, but after bringing an entire cooler chalked full back from Wisconsin last summer. I;m hooked!

I do a fair bit of Italian cooking and like to watch "Cooking With Lydia" on our local PBS station, so the Parmesan and Pecorino would be used fairly quickly.

We also have access to a place called A Southern Season which sells high end foodie-type things. They have an in-house bakery, deli and cheese window, so I bet there's some raw cheeses in there for sure. I'll keep an eye out next time we go and will try to remember to pack another cooler! .
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  03:48:36 AM  Show Profile
There's also a Whole Foods and Earth Fare nearby. I'll check there as well.

Price is in no way a deterrant.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  2:25:10 PM  Show Profile
The cheese person at the foodie store or at Whole Foods should be able to point you to any other raw cheeses available - there are probably some regional ones that we don't have access to out here in the hinterlands.
I love cheese!!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic raw cheese Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page