Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Need information regarding sizes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need information regarding sizes Next Topic  

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  12:07:23 PM  Show Profile
I am doing a program for a group I belong to on how sizes have changed through the years. Would it be possible for someone that has vintage patterns from the 30s to the 60s let me know the measurements for a Size 10. Also, the sizes indicated on the pattern range (say, size 10 to size 18) Thanks, ladies. I really appreciate it. I also posted this is the vintage patterns thread.

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  1:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Check out this article http://gothampatterns.com/?p=21

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  3:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, SheepMom2. I'll add this article to my stack of research.
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  6:43:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi, that got me thinking about sizes so I got out my box of vintage patterns to look for myself. I can only find a date on one of my patterns (1941) but I have more from that era but oddly enough, not one of the womens patterns I have goes down to a size 10. They all start at size 12. The measurements for a size 12 was:
Bust: 30"
Waist: 25"
Hips: 33" (7" below natural waistline)
When my waist measured 21" in high school I had a larger than 30" bustline. This is kind of interesting, a study about how sizes have changed, and they certainly have. Also patterns were 25 cents in the 40's but I do have one womens pattern that was 15 cents and it shows the same measurements for a size 12.
Good luck with your study, the sizes, they have really changed!

Some people look for happiness, others create it!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  6:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I just saw your post on another link and to answer your question about pattern ranges, I have six old womens patterns, most around the late 30's and into the 40's and here is the break down on the back:
Sizes 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 40, 42.
So I compared a new plus size pattern to the measurements and the measurements for a size 18 from the 40's are now what a size 14 is, big difference, and the 40 measurements from the 40's matches a size 18 and the 42 is now a womens size 20.
Interesting! Thanks for making me look, lol!

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  06:48:02 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, ladies. Now the challenge is to present this in an interesting, understandable way. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need information regarding sizes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page