lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  9:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Hello to everyone. I am Melissa, and I live in central Kentucky. I wish that I was a farm girl, but unfortunately I live in town. So, I guess I am a fargirl wannabe! Anyway, I recently got interested in essential oils, herbs, homemade skin/hair care, homemade cleaners, homemade soap, etc. I was doing a search, no telling what for!, and run up on this forum and became interested in joining. So, here I am. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2006 :  10:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Melissa!! You sound like a farmgirl at heart for sure!! You will have fun here..just jump right in..it will be fun to get to know you. You sure live in a pretty state!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  05:48:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks,Jenny! My husband is a truck driver, and he says that he hasn't been to a state yet as pretty as ours. I haven't done much traveling, mostly bordering states, so I can't say that I agree with him, but I do think that KY is pretty. BTW, I love your signature line! It fits me to a T! I'm on a 30 day diet, and I have already lost 16 days! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  06:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Melissa!

You have the heart of a farmgirl, alright. Treat yourself when you can to some of MaryJane's products, and magazines/books. They are full of great ideas for talented farmgirls like you. You will love the different forums, guaranteed!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  06:12:59 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Melissa! If you are a farmgirl at heart, then you are a true farmgirl! There will be some point in your life when that latent gene will take over and your greatest desire will be to.....Own a flock of chickens!!! You won't know where the idea came from, it will just sneak up on you out of the blue. And then, the transformation will be complete! ( hee hee)
My sister is moving to northern KY just across the river from Cincinnati in July. Found a cute apt. there just for her. I just love Kentucky. It is a very beautiful state.
Glad you are here!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  06:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Melissa and Welcome!
We are both farmgirls at heart. I live in the suburbs. Always dream about it and love planning for that big "someday" when we will move to the farm. What kind of farm are you dreaming of living on? What do you like to do? We have a garden and that's about it. But I tell you what, you will be able to live out your dream through everyone on this forum. Those that are living on the farm or out in the country are generous with their advice and wisdom and experiences and lots of great stories. It makes you feel right at home as if you were on their back porches visiting. You won't feel far from the farm here.

Just a side note, not long ago our son went to college in Louisville and we took the liberty to see some of the other places in KY when we visited, it is wonderful and we loved the countryside. I hope you're not too far from some rolling hills lined with white fences and horses peacefully grazing. That's what I think of when I think of KY, but we soon learned that the whole state is not like that unfortunately. Oh well, we enjoyed what we saw.

I hope you have fun roaming around the forum and getting to know everyone, I know I look forward to getting to know you and having fun with moving closer to making those dreams come true. Blessings on your day.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  11:32:54 AM  Show Profile
I want so badly to learn to make stuff by hand. I have never been very artistic, I was always book smart, my brother got the talent. I tried to sew with a sewing machine, it was Hideous! LOL! Plus with 2 kids, and 2 jobs, and a husband that works 5-6 days a week, from 8:30 am to 9 or 10 pm, I just can't find the time. My kids are only 2 and 5, so I am hoping as they get older, maybe I will have more time to try to be creative. For now, I sit at the computer, look at and read everyone elses stuff and dream! It really isn't bad, I get a lot of ideas for stuff that I want to do, and one day, I will.
As far as the kind of farm that I dream of living on. Well, I want to be in the hills. I am a school bus driver, and I drive out in the country, and there is one road that leads to the river that is nothing but hills and curves, a terrible road really, but I love it, because I dream of living there, on top of one of those hills, with that view. Oh, heaven! I want a garden, and a herb garden, and horses. We have a very large yard, but just have never taken the time for a garden, but I told my husband that next year, I want a small herb garden. I want to ride a horse. I never have, but it is a dream. And dogs, I am a dog lover. I have 3 of my own, and my dads temporarily. If I lived in the country, I would have many more. My mom is a dog groomer and breeder, and I work with her in between bus runs, bathing a drying dogs.
Lynda, I live about 30 miles south of Lexington, which is full of the rolling hilles, white fences and horses. What a refreshing and relaxing drive when you pass those horse farms of the bluegrass! I can't imagine that anything would be any better. And , yes, unfortunately the whole state is not like that.
Thanks to everyone for welcoming me into this group. All total, I have probably spent 3 or 4 hours in the last couple of days, just reading everyone's posts. It is great!
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2006 :  11:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Melissa,

So glad you decided to join us. A farmgirl at heart is a farmgirl for sure. You have the desire so all you have to do is jump in and give things a try. There's lots of great people and information on this forum.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  10:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Welcome Melissa!
I think it is wonderful that you are learning or hoping to learn how to make all those things yourself! Glad to have you in the group and I think there are several in here like us...wanting to be on a farm but not there yet....so you should fit right in! Welcome and see you 'round!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  06:08:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Buttercup. I bought a little unfinished shelf for my boys toy room that we are re-doing, and I am going to paint it myself. Doesn't sound like much, but to me, it is going to be, hopefully, the start of something new. I want to do some samplers, and have been looking at patterns, I just haven't bought one yet, but it is in my future! I also have bought some books on homemade soaps and other natural beauty. I have been using homemade soaps and shampoo from a nice lady in TN, but I thought that it would be so neat if I could get over my fear of lye, and try it myself. Melissa
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:27:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Melissa,

The sewing thing will come. My kids are all in their early to mid twenties now, but when I was expecting with our first one (who is 26) I made my robe for the hospital and then a couple of romper sets for him. Well I was quickly preganant for a second time and once I had both of them underfoot, my sewing days came to a screeching halt. My husband used the machine more than I did to patch his jeans and overalls.

It wasn't until about 20+ years later that I picked it back up again. I had to take a second job and low and behold it was at Joanne's. Wow, that was a mistake (but a fun one)! I only worked there a year and a half, but let me tell you, that was all I could afford. LOL I always teased and said that we got paid a spending allowance, I don't think I took home too much except for fabric. All that to say, that once I was in a position that I could think about sewing again, my kids were all in high school and college. It was just as much fun and still is, and they love to make their requests for different things. Let me qualify my sewing abililities though, I do straight lines - pj bottoms, patchwork quilts and picnic blankets, pillow cases, baby blankets, tablecloths, curtains, aprons and the occassional simple piece of clothing.

So this just isn't your season to sew, but you can use this time to learn little bits here and there as time allows. Are any of the grandparents close by? AS the kids get a little older and want to stay with Grandma and Grandpa, dedicate that weekend to work a quick and simple project just to refamiliarize yourself with it or learn something new. Just an idea. If I lived closer I'd take the kids for you, too and I don't mean that in jest, truly I would. I love giving mama's time to discover themselves or take a break when I can.

So keep on dreaming, some dreams just require more time to develop than others, but you are on the right path and it will be fun as you go. Get the kids involved and it will also be a memorable discovery together. Blessings on your new discoveries with your family.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Lynda, Thanks so much. I am fortunate that I have my mom nearby. She keeps my oldest son quite a bit, but not my youngest. He is harder to deal with, and she works long hours, and doesn't feel that she can handle him too much right now. I don't get much free time, and what I do, I spend on the computer. It is my get away place. Anyway, I have tried to use a sewing machine once. That was a joke! I remeber a long time ago trying a cross-stitch, but I don't remember how it turned out. I really want to do some samplers. I just love them, and they look fairly easy. I have been looking at patterns, but one place on-line said that you have to use a machine, as well as sew by hand. Needless to say, that worries me. I would love to have the time to do all the stuff I dream about, but I do know that one day my boys will be older, and then things will be easier.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  11:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Melissa, That will be so cute when you are done and it will be a shelf you all can treasure! I know I want to learn to do my own soap and cleaning products and paper and all that stuff but I agree with Lynda (loved your note Lynda!! ) that when the kids are little it can make things like that hard and they go on the back burner for a while. I use to do all sorts of crafts and make my own Christmas gifts for others and then my oldest came along...four kids later and the youngest ones are 5 and I am just now getting back into crafting and cooking from scratch again, so it takes time.
Funny story to cheer you on the sewing machine thing... One year someone bought me a sewing machine and I was so excited!! I had wanted to learn to sew my whole life, use to beg my parents for lessons and everything. So when I got this machine I was all fired up! I went to a thrift store on bag day and got all the jeans I could into the bag and went home to make my son a patched jean bed topper. I cut the patches and started I spent the next two days sewing and reading the books and crying. No matter what I did the tension would not work and no matter what setting I put it on it would bunch or mess up in some way. I gave up and was depressed. After time I tried again, same thing. Over the years I would try every few months or so with the same results. I finally decided I would never sew and gave up. Years later (about 6) I met a gal who was a perfessional seamtress and made custom things that were beautiful, so I ventured to ask her for her help. She sat down full of confidence, as well she should have, and began to sew...with the same outcome!! After a few moments of figeting with the machine she looked at me and said "something is wrong with the machine you need to get it fixed, nobody could sew on this thing"! LOL So don't give up... I now have an old clunker that someone was going to throw out that sews with out a hitch and though I am not as versed as I hope to one day be...I can sew!!!! So don't give up!!!
Til Next Time...

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  06:14:52 AM  Show Profile
LOL! My one adventure with a sewing machine was with very good intentions. I was helping a dog rescue. She said she needed pillowcases. All I had was old sheets. So I borrowed my moms sewing machine, and thought how hard could it be. Well, I made a pillow case. It was so sad. Crooked and so slim, no pillow could fit in that! And then when you turned it inside out, Oh my gosh what a mess!!! The seams were AWFUL!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  7:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh My!!!! LOL
Well at least there were not hours of reading and tears involved!!! Sounds like you just need to measure and follow the seam guide on the sewing machine..then you should be fine! One day we will both learn and be awsome at it!!!!

Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  7:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Yes, basically I din't measure anything, I just eyeballed it. Plus, I had never in my life used a sewing machine, so I really didn't know how to use it, still don't really!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hi! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page