Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Tea Stains Next Topic  

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  09:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I posted recently about the "Lumpy Borax" and the powdered dishwasher detergent I've made and love to use. I feel it's safer (and healthier) for my septic system and the chemical smell is out of my house in the evenings. However, I've noticed my glass items are getting a bit dingy. My husband carries a quart mason jar of iced tea in his lunch every day. When I was replacing the jars in my white cabinets, I noticed how discolored they were - and I've noticed some of the same on my white dishes. I'm sure this from eliminating the bleaching products in my other detergent, but does healthier mean I have to have dingy dishes? Any suggestions or recommendations?

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:22:43 AM  Show Profile
I am wondering, Holly, if you use white vinegar in your dishwasher's rinse cycle it might help with those stains? - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  10:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Holly
I used the homemade dishwasher detergent for a while, & found that not only did it leave things dingy; it did not clean well in the long run. I tried the vinegar, & also citric acid; the build up was more than I could take. I was re-washing dishes. Now I just try to find something phosphate free & go with that. I REALLY wanted to use the other, but it wasn't dong the job. If someone else knows better; let me know!
Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  11:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I use white vinegar in the rinse and haven't noticed any "dirt" left behind. I always use the quick cycle - just saves energy. I'm going to have to see how it goes...However, I can tell my dishes are more "wet" than when I was using Jet Dry. Didn't realized it really worked! :)

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Tea Stains Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page