msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  7:45:38 PM  Show Profile
I know this isn't anything that hasn't been done before, but I'm doing a Grocery Challenge for the month of March. I am asking people to record their food spending for the entire month of February so we can see how much you spend in a normal month, and then try and have a Frugal February by couponing, cooking at home, and avoiding eating out when possible.

Anyone interested? I'd love to have some people join along. I know 2 months is a big commitment, but it sure has opened my eyes to what I have spent.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, what a great idea. Since I'm on the road then It's hard not to eat out, but I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it works.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  11:22:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Amanda...I'm in....I really need to get a handle on my spending and groceries are a good place to start

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  12:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Awesome!

I will let you know how we fare!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  1:46:03 PM  Show Profile
I will try to do this too..sounds great. So you mean to record what we spend in February (normal month) and then be extra frugal in March and see what we can save? I want to make sure I understand it right. Sounds great to me. I feel like I am feeding an army half the time...and could sure stand to save money. So count me in.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:21:37 PM  Show Profile
That's right, Jenny, because we need to find what you spend in a 'normal' month. Now for Frugal February, that doesn't mean just not going to the grocery or getting down to just ketchup and butter, lol!

This is just about raising awareness to what we spend when we aren't really keeping up with our finances closely, AND also about trying to stick with and create a budget. I thought it would be fun to see how much we'd save by being more conscious of what we spend. I know it has really helped me in the past.

Glad to have you join along!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  08:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
This sounds like a great idea. I met with a financial consultant (our school district business manager) last week to see about retirement planning, "rainy-day" savings, etc. After meeting with him, I felt much better about my particular circumstance, but I am terribly spoiled. He advised doing this very thing - tracking all expenses for a few months to see exactly where the money goes. Then, gauge what is a need and what is a want and make smart decisions from there. Now that you can hold me accountable, I'm going to go for it! Something about saving those receipts and actually recording it on paper makes it a much BIGGER deal than we realize at the moment of purchase. I'm in!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  09:29:56 AM  Show Profile
Holly,

It made all the difference for me. I didn't realize how much I was spending (read: wasting) in a month until I saved my receipts and started categorizing what I spent. A wonderful free site that I use is Mint.com. If you use a debit card/checking account for purchases (and I do for all my monthly expenses), you can label each transaction and categorize it, and it will put it into a graph to show you how much you spent on what each month. It is GREAT, but you do have to go in and label things. If you have ever used a program such as MS Money, it will come very easily to you. You can even split a transaction into different categories. So, if I go to the grocery and I buy things like toilet paper, I can go under that transaction, click 'split', and then label toilet paper as 'Home Supplies' and then enter the amount of the toilet paper. Then, when you are reviewing your pie chart, the toilet paper won't show up in the 'food' section.

It really has helped me a LOT. I'm glad there are others who are interested in doing this, too! :0)

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  12:30:41 PM  Show Profile
How is your receipt keeping going? Let me tell you how my January personal challenge went:

December 2010 our grocery bill was $465. January's bill was $232. So, a total 'savings' of $233 dollars; precisely half of our December bill! How did I do it?

I try to keep a well-stocked pantry and freezer. I am sure to keep plenty of dry and canned goods on hand continuously. I always keep some sort of meat in the freezer. Usually, it's ground turkey, pork chops, or whatever meat I find at a good price. I shop around. I have found certain stores are cheaper in certain items. Fortunately, I live in a small town, so I don't have far to drive between stores, so I can further justify buying groceries from different shops. I cook the majority of what we eat. Even if it's just oatmeal or toast, we're still saving money by not going out to eat. I also bake our bread products, and our chickens give us plenty of eggs.

I do occasionally use coupons (couponmom.com is a GREAT site), but do not rely on them since they are often for products I do not use. However, I don't pass up the opportunity if an item is extremely cheap or free with a coupon AND if I'll use the item.

This month, I have the feeling I will be spending around the same. It is day 10 of 28 and I've only spent around 70 dollars and possibly less (need to add up my OWN receipts, lol!) As far as takeouts/restaurants, we still do that some, but not too often. I do spend more than I should on that, to be sure. My husband and I have a date night every other week and frankly I don't WANT to cook on date night. But, this does work with my budget I have set up.

How is your month so far?

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  2:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Good Job Amanda Can I ask how many are you feeding? You seem to being doing it the same way I am. I am going to get my receipts out and check my totals.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Yes,

We are a family of four. I guess that IS important, lol!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

rural-rev
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Crystal
Hurst TX
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  7:06:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm in...everyone needs to simplify and be grateful for what we have. I'll keep you posted!

taking care of people, places, and "peas" or peace.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  7:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Great! Please do!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  4:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda - I'm in. It might sound like I'm starting late, but I decided to do this at the beginning of the year for the exact reason you mention. Its just my husband and I, so I'm embarrassed to tell you that our grocery bill is similar to yours - and you have twice as many to feed. Yikes... I know I'm good with money and live within our means - but grocery shopping is one area I definitely can use some help. And I really get annoyed with myself when I waste food. Ugh... I'll crunch the numbers and then slink back in with the sordid details... :o) I agree wholeheartedly that we will benefit from simplifying our lives and expressing gratitude for all our blessings - and they are plenty. Best of luck everyone!

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  4:50:57 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd offer one idea of how to make your butter go further while you are trying to trim your grocery budget. I put pictures up at the blog about how to make spreadable butter and make it go further too.

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lorraine,

No it's never too late to start! Oh, I can spend tons of money on food...I am a total foodie! But this has been a great journey for me. I also LOVE saving money, lol.

Just today I baked up some sourdough No Knead bread and I was thinking how it's a shame that more people don't bake their own...cause it sure it good and cheap! :0) We're a little over 100 dollars for the month now. I need to tally the weekend receipts.

Thanks, Mary Beth...I'd love to know how to make good spreadable butter. Will check it out.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  11:57:02 AM  Show Profile
I do this each month. On average, I spend $550.00 (more in the hoidays) a month and save approximately 175.00-200.00 or more. I coupon and it really pays off, plus I have more to draw from in my pantry than before, which I like. I try not to buy something just because I have a coupon for it. I buy what I know we will eat. This past week-end a new store here, EarthFare, had a coupon where if you spent 10.00 in their store, you could get a free whole chicken, a free carton of mashed potatoes, and a free bag of organic carrots. I used it at two stores, EarthFare and Publix, which will take competitor's coupons. Two free meals! And organic, too!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2011 :  7:54:23 PM  Show Profile
Month is almost done!

How are you doing? I spent a tad more than last month...have not tallied everything up yet...

Eager to see how we all do.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  2:15:26 PM  Show Profile
I just went to the store today and spent another $42.00 - which brings my total to $398. This is for 2 people... Hmmm.. Looks like there's plenty of room for improvement. Also, I spent quite a bit for groceries in January and stocked up on several things on 1-24... So there's a lot of room for improvement. It will be interesting to see how we do in March. Good luck everyone! Eat well.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Sue
Woodbine Maryland
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  4:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Just found this thread and it's perfect timing for me! We are fortunate to be comfortable, but with college looming for our daughter in a couple of years, we need to pay more attention to our budget (we use Quiken) and our monthly grocery bill is one of my targets. For March I want to focus on just staying within budget and not "overspending", since the idea is to put anything extra at the end of the month away into the college account. We have already done the pre-paid college plan for her, but that covers tuition only - so we need to keep on savin'!! I want to cook more, and get carry out less, and generally be just a bit more organized. Wish me luck!!

"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

www.mymotherspearls.me
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  9:59:45 PM  Show Profile
yay! I do wish you luck.

Let's just keep on rolling...we can all tally in on Monday with our totals. Mine was a bit higher this month, too. I say that there's always room for improvement! :0) I know there are things that I can 'tweak' down, too.

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  09:06:12 AM  Show Profile
I was proud of my self went to the store last friday got right at $220 gro. but after deals and coupons I only pai $100 I think time I can do better. If anyone has ideas on doing better let me know. Thanks

Be Safe & Be Blessed
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  4:47:39 PM  Show Profile
SusieK - That's fantastic! Wow, I'm impressed. Good for you. I've only read about those kind of shopping experiences. Keep it up and share your secrets.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  5:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Amanda - I just read some of your entries on your website. Very funny stuff. I was laughing so loud about the chicken (Wayward) - my DH had to come see what it was all about. The entry about the cold house was great too. You're like a farmgirl version of Erma Bombeck (hope you're old enough to know who she is - a very funny lady who wrote many books about raising kids, etc). Keep up the great work - I really enjoyed it.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  7:13:59 PM  Show Profile
That's great, Susie! I used to be a big time 'couponer' myself, but not so much now. I do subscribe to Couponmom.com and keep up with that and I will buy things that are extremely cheap/free that I need, but not much coupon usage other than that. We don't have a local grocery that will double or triple coupons; if we did, I'd definitely do more couponing.

Thank you, Lorraine, I take that as the highest compliment. I only DREAM of being like Erma! I have read most of her books, and I also grew up reading Lewis Grizzard and Dave Barry. :0)

Okay, let me preface this with: I have a hormonally induced headache so I am going to just pre-apologize for being brief! For February, it looks like I am at about 320 for the month. I will know definitely when my transactions clear my Mint account, so probably by tomorrow I'll know the exact amount. :0) So, more than January for me, but still well within my average.

This month, I am going to try to buy all my groceries with one trip. Wish me luck! I have been doing some figures in my head, coming up with what we eat within a month's time. Should be fun, ladies! Lol. I'll also update my blog soon, too. Sorry for being short tonight! How did you all do?

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2011 :  08:59:27 AM  Show Profile
Okay ladies, my total for February came to 338.00. So, I was above my January total. However, this month, our butcher was having a sale on meat, so we did pick up more than usual. Also, my DH made a couple of grocery trips, and he buys a...little...more...indiscriminately than I do! Lol! I am going to try to keep my monthly average around 250 or less for 2011.

So how did your tracking go for the month? If you'd like to share, let us know your family size and your total grocery spending for February. Remember, we'll be tracking again in March and trying to cut back :0)

Now, for March we'll be working on really trimming back on grocery spending where possible. That can mean using coupons, buying store brands, and trying to cut back on any convenience foods...especially those that you can easily make at home.

I'm a month ahead of you guys, so I am going to do another experiment...trying to buy the bulk of my groceries just ONE time this month. I am sure I'll have to fill in something that I have forgotten, but I'd like to see how this will affect my March totals. I call it my Pioneer Days experiment. People in the past didn't have the luxury of zipping off to the grocery store whenever they felt like it. Plus, I doubt that they made 'impulse buys' much anyway! I will keep reporting on this.

P.s. I noticed that I called February 'Frugal February' in my first post...It really should have been Frugal March. Lol! Duh!

FarmGirl #1390
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page