Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  11:55:24 AM  Show Profile
The month of Feb, I spent $159. That is for one person. I have company for dinner at least once a week. Went to the store yesterday. Didn't NEED a thing. But they had chicken hind quarters for 39cents a pound. I bought 2 10 pound bags. I took one bag and seperated the legs and thighs. Removed the piece of back bone from the thigh. Then boiled the bones with a little of the fat to make broth. I packaged the legs and thighs with my foodsaver. For $3.90, I have enough meat for 4 meals (with company for supper) and 8 pints of broth.

The price of everything is going up FAST. I bought a pound of butter that was $3.29. Didn't need butter but thought get some anyway. Seems the price of butter is trying to keep up with the price of gas.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I agree with you, Belle. I noticed butter has gone up quickly, too. I definitely buy things that we eat that are at a good price. Why not? We'll eat it, so it's money well spent, I say! I used to buy hind quarters all of the time when you can get them for pennies on the pound.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  12:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi I tried a new meal plan I picked 7 meals that we really like I assigned each meal to a day of the week and that is what we have been eating for the last 4 weeks. I have our grocery bill down to 70 to 80 dollars a week for four people (two adults and two teenagers.) I was spending upwards to 200 a week This is awesome and everyone always knows whats for dinner. We went to the store today and we were in and out under an hour. It is so much easier and cheaper.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! Planning sure does help, doesn't it? And you can always throw in new meals if you feel like it.

How is everyone doing this month? I tried for my 'Pioneer Experiment', not remembering that we went on mini-vacation for a few days this month, so the figures won't be correct. I did do a big shopping day early on in the first week, which was just lovely...I still don't need refills on those items that I got then.

Well, off to garden!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page