buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile
Isaiah 43:1-7 Well, I read the scriptures, and on the surface it seems like a love letter from the Lord to His people Israel & Judah. The verses talk about redeeming them and saving them from whatever difficulties (masked by the words waters [plural], rivers and fire) that they would encounter. I thought this nice and that I could hope to apply them to me and mine. But I knew that was not enough, so I looked up the historical background to see why it was written.

Isaiah means "Yahweh Is Salvation." It was written around 700 BC. I won't go into who were the kings of the 2 countries, but he lived at the rise of Rome, and the start of the 1st Olympics in Greece. With Isaiah being a prophet..of course he prophesied to the 2 nations. In reading about the times, reminds me much of todays worldly problems. Both countries had increased in their prosperity and power. Israel had blatant pagan worship, and Judah, although acting like they were godly people, had serious moral decline, having secret places for pagan worship. My bible commentary says that the rich oppressed the poor, women neglected their families to seek "carnal" pleasures, and many of the priests and propnets "became drunken men-pleasers." (Isa. 5:7-12, 5:18-12 and 22:12-14). Isaiah's purpose was to show that God would judge & punish them if they didn't return to the law set down in Deut 30. However if they turned from their wicked ways, no matter what sin they were drowning from, He would protect and save them. The Book of Isaiah is full of promises of restoration and salvation...one that we could use for our trials of today.

So that I give proper reference, I got my information from my Bible.."Spirit Filled Life Bible" NKJV..Jack Hayford General Editor.

I am sure the Lord will reveal some real nuggets to us all, but I felt I needed a background in what I was reading before I saw what God had for me personally. What do you think?

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  12:14:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm really excited to jump in here, I'm guessing we're starting on Jeremiah and finishing Isaiah currently?

I love Isaiah 43, and my reflections on this tie in to a reply I wanted to make to Buffy regarding her reflections on Saul employing witches.

To those of us of the Christian faith, we are adopted as children of God like the Hebrews were. I read this chapter as a promise along the lines of Jeremiah 29:11 (I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a hope and a future.)

God knows the scope of his plans for us, and has proven himself time and time again to bring us through our troubles stronger, and better to reach the good things he has handpicked for us. This chapter serves as a reminder to all the times before now he preserved us in hard times, and to stay strong in our faith that he will continue to do what he has always done.

When Saul began dabbling in forbidden witchcraft, his actions demonstrated that he didn't trust God to handle things, we can see throughout the Samuel books how little he actually knew God in his life, and like many agnostics today threw his understanding of God in with powers outside himself and nothing more than attributing him as a patron. (Remember the 'obedience is better than sacrifice' Amalakytes story?)
We see people turning away from God when life's burden's get rough every day! In the back of every women's magazine today you see advertisements for psychic lines for women looking for "answers" for 15 dollars a minute. Horoscopes are popular for the same reason.

Everyone around us is always looking for an answer for today's problems outside and away from God, believing that even "if" this God person exists, he couldn't possibly be relevant today.

Those of us that truly "know" God, also know that he has our back, always. And he can and does care for us even where our human loved ones can fail us. In fact he even provided us with a manual! Our Basic Information Before Leaving Earth.
In light of that, I see no reason whatsoever to put my faith in what the stars say, because anything they might say to me is trumped by the one who made them.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  12:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer...welcome! I'm glad that your 5th post was on the scriptures. Firstly, we are just STARTING Isaiah. I think I was the first to comment. You make great points and I loved your comparison of Saul to modern day people. These are the people on which the seed of the Word fell...but on rocky ground and did not take root. Thank you! I also liked the B-I-B-L-E manual meaning. I had never heard of it before.

I will be anxious, as I'm sure others will, to hear your contributions & comments.

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  1:56:07 PM  Show Profile
The Word is where my heart is! I can't take complete credit for the acronym though, a child came up with it and I had it passed to me in an email forward. I found it so profound it's stuck!

I was only just starting to get into the forum when I found the thread. When you sign up for an account the site gives the advisement to stay away from "controversial topics such as religion" So I was surprised and thrilled to see the study series.
I'm a teacher at heart and I've been active in leading women's bible study groups when called upon to do so, so this is right up my ally. I think you'll be stuck with me for a while.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  10:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Jennifer, welcome! I love this whole site, and this thread in particular! Your signature "full of bull" is too funny! Great insight and comparisons. The Bible is the "Living Word" for such obvious reasons, isn't it? Any trial, joy, tribulation, your are in, whether you walked thousands of years ago, or are here now, the Word applies. Witches, astronomers, horoscope, people still try to find any answer, except THE answer.
Anyways, I'm thrilled you've joined us.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  9:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, welcome, and Claudia, thank you ofr posting on the next reading. I'll post more later!
God's and Farmgirl's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  5:23:51 PM  Show Profile
A Blessed and Happy Easter to all!! Thanks to each of you for your support and wonderful insights!

Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  5:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer, welcome! Well, I am finally getting caught up some on reading and the posts here.

I know we have moved on into Isaiah. May I share from my daughter's study bible what it says on the Saul topic?

'God'sjudgement upon Saul for his sin and lack of repentance was twofold. God's spirit departed, leaving Saul to rule in his own strength. Saul had already chosen his own way when he rebelled against God's wrd. Instead of God's spirit, a troubling, injurious, or "evil" spirit from the Lord came to Saul, causing him to be severely miserable and depressd. Even to the point of madness.'

Sorry if repeating some of what others have said and shared. How often we, ourselves, cause th same things within our own lives. As was shared, our fret, worry (of which I do far far more than I should). I feel the Lord is with us, but so often we put Him at arms length!!! The result is often excess stress, frustration and deep depression. Much as Saul may have been struggling with.

Thank you for letting me share on what I just read.

Now, will get myself caught up with Isaiah!

Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  6:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Linda, bless you. I tell you, it is not always easy, but it is wonderful that He saved us, restored us and gives us what we need. May this Easter be a new beginning for us all as we appreciate Who God is to us and what He did for us.

Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  5:57:07 PM  Show Profile
It's been about 3 weeks since we have last posted. I know there are others who have read this scripture and an impression has been placed on their heart. I read it before, and already posted, but now with the flooding of the Mississippi, people losing homes, possessions and all, I reread verse 2 and think that it would take immense faith to read it and believe. Wow! "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they will not overflow you!" We need to speak this for our sisters and brothers suffering from these floods. We need to contact them and tell them we will stand in the gap and love them through this, praying that God will show His mighty mercy to these people. They need a miracle, and we need to speak it back to God!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Amen, I pray that the waters subside soon, and that families have a safe place to stay until the work is done. Lord, you provide all we need, I pray that provisions will be made quickly for those suffering.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  12:21:34 PM  Show Profile
Amen, and Amen!!

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  12:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Amen. It would absolutely be a huge test of faith for me, and a direct comfort at the same time, to be in this flood situation, and read these verses. The answer to this prayer is written right here, so in faith, I praise You, Lord, for Your hand at work, already comforting your children, providing for their needs, and calling on our hearts to agree together for those struggling right now. Thank you for your promise, and you faithfulness!!

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  4:33:53 PM  Show Profile
Yes Lord, and our hearts do agree as You say in Your Word that if we do agree as touching anything on earth, it shall be given unto us...that the Father may be glorified in the Son. Lord I ask that You use this time as a sign of You being real to a world that scoffs, and that You be a Lord that saves so that all may be drawn unto You.

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  11:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! With the crazy storms and all going on, everyone busy with spring planting, etc. Not sure where we are at and what we are reading right now? My computer down with virus. Once in awhile I have access to daughter's computer, as I do now. hope all of you are doing ok and are safe.

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  2:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Isaiah 42:1-7 is where we are. I think we've all been busy. I know this are crazy here. It's been a while since I last read it, I am gonna review.
Hope things are well for you. Sorry about your computer! I get so frustrated w/o mine.

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  7:37:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Annette! I am from Ca, the Joshua Tree area. Have a good evening! Blessings, linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  07:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Linda, I've been here all my life, and never heard of the Joshua Tree area. I felt the need to Google it...lol. I am just now finding other girls in Ca, but all at least 1 1/2+ hours from me:(.

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile
Thats ok Annette, I am not familiar with Rio Vista either! Where is that? Same thing, born, raised and lived in Ca til a couple yrs ago.

Blessings, Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  07:53:52 AM  Show Profile
Are we still doing the study? Know everyone busy during the summer months.

My mom had her surgery and it will be a LONG summer for certain in our family. Prayers, please!

Hope each of you are doing well.

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  08:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Linda, I will absolutely be praying. I'm hoping the study picks back up, but like you said, it seems to be crazy for everyone right now.
Hugs to all

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2011 :  08:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Annette!

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2011 :  7:28:36 PM  Show Profile
I think it is time for us (maybe only me) to work through this bible study. I am starting with Jeremiah 1:4-10. I loved God's words to Jere (short for Jeremiah) in verse 5. Wow! "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. And before you were born, I consecreated you. ..." Since God is "no respector of persons" -Acts 10:34, He knows each one of us, even before we were conceived. He consecrates us with a special gift, a special place in God's heart. Oh, that we would really really know that, & remember it as we go through our lives regardless of circumstances. Maybe others can fill in the blanks as to who Jere was, but as I remember, he was called the weeping prophet.

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  05:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Hello! I'm just discovering this thread and wondering if I can join in, should I begin at a certain spot do you think?

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/

http://www.birchtreefarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  05:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Is this study still going on this summer or is it on hold until after summer harvest?

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Family Matters: Previous Topic Bible Study #2- Called By God Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page