Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Is it a proposal without a ring?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is it a proposal without a ring? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  11:26:02 AM  Show Profile
Diane - there are sites on the internet that sell non-blood diamonds (as some refer to them). Also, an engagement ring doesn't have to be a diamond. I've seen them made out of everything from bone to spoons. My ex-SIL had a sapphire. If she doesn't want one that's fine to obviously.

Certain religious groups don't condone flashy jewelry (diamond rings) so they give engagement watches, which are considered practical. Never got how buying a $1500 watch was any different then a $1500 ring but to each their own. It's another option though and they could always get something engraved on the watch.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  11:15:44 PM  Show Profile
I think this is so funny, my husband didn't even propose he just looked up from the TV & said" When you want to get married, let me know"...he was in college at the time & I was teaching so I ended up buying my wedding set at a pawn shop for $75. I decided if I had to buy it I was getting what I wanted so I found an old set from the 1950's that fit my personality. I still wear it though I have had to repair it once since it was so thin it broke. !8 yrs later i still have to smile at that proposal of sorts from him.....Michele' #2622

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6614 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6614 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  07:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Thirty six years ago when my husband proposed to me he simply could not afford to buy me a ring, but I loved him so much so I did not care. Who cared, my mother! She was appalled that I did not get a ring and said our marriage would never last and here we are 36 years later still very much in love and happy. Our wedding rings came from Kmart mine was $20 and my husbands was $26, we still wear them today. It is the man we marry not the ring, just be happy, have fun and don't worry about the small stuff or what mother says as she is not always right!

Farm Girl Hugs,
Debbie

If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  11:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness YES it is a proposal without a ring! The ring is merely a symbol of the committment two people have made for each other. When DH and I married 33 years ago I didn't have an engagement ring and never felt the need for one. Now the wedding ring? Yes, I wanted that and have proudly worn it all these years. But that too is just a symbol.

On our 15th anniversary DH bought me a beautiful 5 diamond anniversary ring that I now wear with my wedding ring in the place of an engagement ring.

DH on the other hand has never had a wedding ring. He never felt the need for one and I didn't care so we're both happy.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is it a proposal without a ring? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page