Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Lumpy Borax Next Topic  

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Farmgirls,

I know you will know the answer to this if anyone does! I tried the dishwasher deterget recipe using borax, washing soda, and vinegar for the rinse. I LOVE IT! Problem. There are 2 stores in a 50 mile radius that sell 20 Mule Team Borax, so I'm stuck with what I get. The last box I bought was a rock! I've squeezed and crumbled and done everything I can to break up the lumps. Any ideas? It's difficult to use and even to mix when it's like this. How do I break up the lumps?

P.S. I know humidity is my enemy - and I think South Arkansas is right up with the Rainforests for humidity. I usually decant it into a sealed container, but I can't get this out of the box! Thanks for your advice...

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  09:24:03 AM  Show Profile
Same thing happens here. Although are dishwasher is not working anymore. I would suggest making it a liquid dish washing detergent vs. powdered.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile
Wiz it in the food processor
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Would it react to any of the treatments we give brown sugar when it gets hard?

I don't know, just thought I'd throw it in.

Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Joy- I wouldn't increase moisture with borax because the more moisture it gets the more rock like it gets.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  7:50:29 PM  Show Profile
I have this problem, too.

I store mine in an old glass cookie jar. I take the back of a spoon and press the clumps against the side of the glass to mush them up. I am trying to remember if I used an old flour sifter on this...and I am thinking that I did, lol. Gosh, I really think I tried this with some degree of success...

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  8:12:04 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought....can you put something in it, like a piece of fabric or washcloth to absorb moisture? Sort of like putting a piece of bread or biscuit into the sugar bag? Not sure, I would try it.

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Valerie (Farmgirl #2356)
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  1:09:33 PM  Show Profile
You could try putting a little cloth bag of salt in it. That's the only thing I can think of that would absorb moisture. It could also be that it got moist and THEN dried out and got hard. Salt does that if you get it wet and then let the water evaporate out of it.

So maybe the key really is to put a little moisture in it like with a piece of bread? No idea otherwise...

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

3littlebrds
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Tracy
Naperville IL
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  8:14:06 PM  Show Profile
I had that same problem with my last box - wonder if it was a bad batch? I used a knife in the box to break it into manageable clumps then broke it up by hand when I made my detergent. Still a bit clumpy, but it worked fine.

Where did you get the recipe for dishwasher detergent?
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  02:07:46 AM  Show Profile
I always seem to have this problem so what I do is put the lump in one of those heavy duty space bags I have seal it shut & then stomp on it....yeap it looks crazy & the hubby thinks I have lost my mind but it works I tried it once barefooted...won't do that again let me tell you...bruised the feet! but with tennis shoes or other flat shoes it was quite the workout....Have had to do this with powdered soap as well...I don't recommend you jump too hard on it unless you want the walls covered in it as it shots out of the bag.....

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  06:22:55 AM  Show Profile
so michele, i am guessing you know it shoots out of the bag from more hands or should i say feet on the subject.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  6:59:02 PM  Show Profile
lol Sherrye...yeap it has happened, thank goodness it wasn't the whole bag that decided it like the walls better than the bag! I had to wait until it all settled before I got the vacuum out...lol....but the room smelled real nice for a long time :)

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Lumpy Borax Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page